Block of Redstone
Partial (blocks light, mob spawning possible)
|Catches fire from lava||
dec: 152 hex: 98 bin: 10011000
A block of redstone acts as a piston-movable redstone power source that cannot be turned off.
Blocks of redstone can be mined using any pickaxe. If mined without a pickaxe, they drop nothing.
|Block||Block of Redstone|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
|Redstone Dust||Block of Redstone|
To place a block of redstone, use the Place Block control.
Blocks of redstone are always active and cannot be turned off. A block of redstone:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust, including above or below, to power level 15
- powers any adjacent redstone comparators or redstone repeaters facing away from the block of redstone to power level 15
- activates any adjacent mechanism components (doors, redstone lamps, etc.), including above or below, with the exception of pistons, which cannot be activated by any power source directly in front of them
Adjacent opaque blocks will not be powered.
If a redstone torch is attached to a block of redstone, it will deactivate after 1 redstone tick and will not reactivate (which is normal behavior for a redstone torch attached to a powered block).
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||1.125||0.5||16|
|1.5||13w01a||Added blocks of redstone.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 152.|
|1.14||18w43a||Changed the block of redstone texture.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added blocks of redstone. Their only purpose is to store redstone dust.|
|0.13.0||build 1||Redstone blocks now have a proper purpose.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Changed the block of redstone texture.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||Added blocks of redstone.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||Changed the block of redstone texture.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added blocks of redstone.|
- As the block of redstone is not fully opaque, chests can be opened when covered by one. Also, two non-solid blocks, namely ladders and tripwire hooks, cannot be placed onto its sides.
- In earlier Java Edition 1.5 snapshots, its texture was used for the locked chest along with the block of emerald in Java Edition 1.3.1.