Java Edition mentioned features
Since the beginning of Minecraft's development, there have been a number of features that were mentioned by Mojang AB developers. These features are either currently planned for the next update, but have not yet appeared in a development version, or have simply been dropped or forgotten about.
Note that this page only documents features that were mentioned, but are not yet in the game. Features in development versions are described on the parent version page.
- 1 Planned
- 2 Partially implemented
- 3 Mentioned
- 3.1 Audio loops
- 3.2 Branches
- 3.3 Blood
- 3.4 Friends list
- 3.5 Inventory changes
- 3.6 Lua scripting
- 3.7 Rare tools/weapons
- 3.8 Red dragon
- 3.9 Resource packs
- 3.10 Seasons
- 3.11 Spike block
- 3.12 Steel
- 3.13 Workbench (Plugin API)
- 3.14 Off-hand changes
- 3.15 Brief mentions
- 4 Joke features
- 5 References
These features are planned to come to Minecraft sometime in the future, in an update that has not yet been determined.
A new combat system is currently in development which will only allow the player to attack when their weapon is fully charged among other changes.
Fletching and smithing table functionality
Fletching tables and smithing tables were set to gain functionality in "the next major themed update". However, they may not get their functionality in Java Edition 1.16. The exact usage of these blocks has not been announced.
- Deserts will be given palm trees, oases, and meerkats.
- Savannas will be given baobab trees, termites, and ostriches.
- Mountains will be given goats, a new type of snow, and better terrain generation.
- Badlands will be given vultures, tumbleweed, and a new type of cacti.
- Swamps will be given frogs, mangrove trees, and a new type of boat.
Super Fancy graphics
Docm77 confirmed in a tweet that sometime in the future, a new graphics setting will be added to Minecraft called "super fancy." This could be in reference to the upcoming ray tracing functionality being added to Minecraft. 
A new Java Edition render engine called Blaze3D has been confirmed many times by Searge. There are also many references to this system in the game files, although it has not been functionally implemented.
Phasing out of NBT-based crafting recipes
In Java Edition 1.14, numerous new blocks were implemented as replacements for certain "complex" crafting recipes, with the replaced crafting recipes relying on NBT data. This included moving inventory tool repair to the grindstone, banner modification to the loom, and map modification to the cartography table. However, several more NBT based crafting recipes still exist, and these are planned to be phased out. Certain blocks that may be added in the future to further this goal include a dedicated fireworks customization block.
In Java Edition 1.14.3, tool repair crafting recipes were reimplemented.
Full split of liquids from blocks
Java Edition 1.13 added waterlogging, marking the start of this separation. An in-development screenshot showing water occupying leaves and flowers, referred to as having "no water blocks", was released in 2018. However, water and lava still exist as blocks, and so far only water sources can occupy other blocks through the waterlogged block state; flowing water and bubble columns cannot occupy other blocks and still and flowing lava cannot occupy other blocks at all.
These features had been shown by a Mojang staff member, but either had no further development or were canceled shortly after.
|Sky||A hidden biome before Java Edition Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4, this biome was exclusive to, and the sole biome of the Sky Dimension. It would generate floating islands with oceans of air surrounding them. Trees were uncommon. No weather occurred here. It had small patches of snow, although it would not accumulate again. It had green with some extra blue hue for foliage colors. This biome was introduced in Java Edition Beta 1.6 along with the Sky Dimension itself. It was reintroduced for The End's biome though.|
|Ice Desert (corner case biome)||A biome in the code before Java Edition Beta 1.8 that was supposed to generate at maximum coldness and dryness, but did not actually generate due to bugs. It was a biome of sand with snow on top of it and had snowfall and ice.|
Colored wood planks
Dinnerbone briefly thought about implementing colored wood planks, releasing a test image on his Twitter page. This however never got implemented, as can be seen from the following quotes. The idea was eventually replaced with stained clay.
|— Dinnerbone on Colored Wood Planks|
Before stone slabs were added to 0.26, Notch ran a test of dirt slabs. In the test they replaced dirt blocks, so that dirt surface without grass was half a block lower than grass. However, dirt slabs failed to dress cliff edges, caves, and ravines nicely. Because of this, they were never added to the actual game and were only mentioned once. They replaced all dirt blocks and did not grow grass on top.
The Sky Dimension was a planned dimension, intended to be the opposite of the Nether. It could be accessed using hacks, but portals to the Sky Dimension were never implemented. The idea was ultimately scrapped and its code was reused to make the End. The End has a purple sky, no clouds, and the floating island are made entirely of end stone.
With the addition of the Buffet functionality in 1.13 snapshot 18w15a, this can be distantly recreated by using the "Floating Islands" option.
These features were mentioned at one point, but later abandoned or their current status is unknown. Note that some of these features were mentioned by developers who either no longer work at Mojang, or no longer work on Minecraft.
They were found in
.minecraft/resources/sound/loops/, and could be converted to reveal four loops, of birds chirping, cave chimes, ocean and waterfall noises.
Notch mentioned that having bunnies jump and when killed pop into giblets and streams of blood.
Notch mentioned on his blog, The Word of Notch, that friends lists would be added after Beta 1.8. The Minecraft documentary team of 2 Player Productions filmed a Keynote roadmap, containing these lines. Kristoffer mentioned on Twitter that he is currently working on friends lists for Scrolls, then for other Mojang games. These will be available for players with Mojang accounts. At MineCon 2012 Jeb stated that it would be a large implementation on the server side and will be used for all Mojang games, and that is a big project.
An inventory rewrite was originally added in the snapshot 14w17a for Java Edition 1.8, but a roadblock was hit and they had to shelve it before the release of 1.8. Other changes to the inventory have been mentioned, including spectators can now look at people's inventory, visible health/armor bar on all players, seeing players' GUI when spectating from their POV and the return of shift-double-clicking.
Lua Scripting was a feature mentioned by Notch as a way to create server side modifications. The server would be able to create custom commands, assign certain server functions to blocks, and create user groups. Players would not have to download scripts within or outside of the client, and therefore no client-side modifications will be necessary. Notch said that he wanted Lua to be an extension for Minecraft, but did not want Lua to turn Minecraft into a game engine.
Dinnerbone said on Twitter he would like to add weapons/tools that cannot be crafted, and only obtained by treasure chests/trading, etc. For example, bows with faster drawback (somewhat implemented with the addition of Quick Charge), boots that increase health, or night vision helmets. However, the attribute system has to be finished first.
Treasure enchantments have been implemented in 1.9 and 1.11, and tridents have been implemented in 1.13, somewhat implementing this feature.
Notch revealed during the 8th Seecret Friday Update that he would add dragons, one being the ender dragon, the other being red dragons. Jeb informed participants of his AMA on Reddit that he would add red dragons, but was unsure exactly how. The red dragon has not subsequently been added.
On October 22, 2013, Dinnerbone tweeted that the red dragon is "shelved" and not in development.
|— Dinnerbone |
Later, on December 15, 2013, a Dinnerbone post on Reddit indicated his belief that red dragons likely will be implemented at some point:
Ryan Holtz stated that he wanted to improve the rendering system to allow for customizable models and animations. Dinnerbone later stated that player models would not be able to be changed.
Dinnerbone mentioned on Twitter that he was experimenting with adding seasons, and varying the length of day and night according to season. He also mentioned it during MineCon 2013. Seasons may include changes in color of tree leaves and may also be tied to real time.
Spikes received a mention in mid-2009 by Notch in a blog post. These were originally planned for Java Edition Beta 1.7, working by extending and retracting spikes (and making them more "spike pistons" than anything), but were replaced by sticky pistons. On May 28, 2012, Dinnerbone stated that he'd like to add spike blocks, but is unsure of how to implement them.
Multiple references to steel were made early on in the game's development. Notch had stated that it could be made using coal and iron ore, and that it could be used for armor and weapons more powerful than iron. In-game, the flint and steel is crafted using raw iron.
Workbench (Plugin API)
The Plugin API, dubbed "Workbench", is a feature that allows mod developers to easily add more content to the game. In contrast to mods, plugins will not require any alteration of the minecraft.jar file itself, although they will also be slightly limited in their feature set. The Bukkit team will help make the official Plugin API.
Changes with the off-hand slot added in Java Edition 1.9 were planned on being added to Minecraft sometime in the future. Specifically, the player would no longer be able to attack or place blocks with any item in their off-hand slot. However, players would still be able to hold items in the off-hand slot, which still made the off-hand useful for maps and such. Also, blocking would still be able to be activated if the player is holding a shield in their off-hand. However, this regression was later retracted due to massive community backlash.
These features were briefly mentioned, but no further information was given after that.
- Partially implemented: More animals such as birds, and tree animals, to make the game seem more alive. Partially added in Java Edition 1.12 with parrots.
- Partially implemented: More structures in biomes Since this was mentioned, woodland mansions, End cities, shipwrecks, underwater ruins, and Pillager outposts have been implemented.
- More dimensions
- Partially implemented: More rare structures and terrain changes Partially added with Ice Spikes.
- Partially implemented: More ores and cave types Since this post, flooded underwater caves have been implemented.
- Height-based content, something like vertical biomes.
- Partially implemented: All exclusive Bedrock Edition features ported to Java Edition. See Official pages/Parity issue list for more info.
More specific features
- Mentioned in 2009
- In early development, Notch mentioned two more gamemodes, Team Survival Mode and Fortress Mode, which would include the ability to play Capture the Flag
- Crystal, found underground
- Mentioned in 2010
- Animated swinging doors
- Colliding clouds
- Server portals
- Dungeon Mode: Same as Survival Mode, except players can't craft or modify the world. Planned to have been used to play missions on pre-made maps.
- "Clan" mode.
- Server-side scripting.
- Land claim flags: planting a flag (possibly costs gold in Survival mode) claims an area of land. No monsters can spawn or die from age in that area, and only selected players can build in that area.
- Smoke block: would be generated by fire, be passable, cast shadows, float upwards and disappear after a short time.
- Gravity: all blocks except possibly obsidian would be affected by gravity. Floating islands would need obsidian veins to stay afloat. Notch later stated that he disliked the idea.
- More crafting templates: arrows, food, armor, etc. (Possibly added in Java Edition 1.14.)
- In-game anti-cheat: make the server check for flying, no clip and increased speed. Add those options to the client, but only enable if the server says it's okay.
- Mentioned in 2011
- The ability to choose what work saves to the level files
- Rainbow crystalline caves
- Storing of achievements and statistics online
- Cave maps - Notch stated that they are "an interesting idea".
- Custom paintings
- Hand-drawn signs
- Exploding arrows
- Mentioned in 2012
- Crying Obsidian
- Vertical redstone
- Ability to design village buildings. Partially implemented with structure blocks.
- Silk Touch yielding double half slabs
- Ability to pause the game in multiplayer, but only for ops. Users will then get to chat until the game is back.
- Minecarts usable as boats
- Fallen trees (like what is currently in Bedrock Edition)
- A new male mob that has no clothes.
- More colors and texture pack customizations of maps
- Flower pots breaking when hit by arrows. This has been added for chorus flowers.
- Utilizing the space above the Nether ceiling for something else.
- Partially implemented: Fireworks having effects on mobs, such as scaring wolves. Implemented with elytra boosting and damaging mobs if explosive.
- Maps would have more support for colors and support Texturepack textures
- Mentioned in 2013
- , the image may have just been showcasing the custom tile displays in minecarts which were added in the next snapshot, 13w02a.
- Crystal Horse Armor
- Dinnerbone's original demonstration of the
.mcmetaformat for resource packs contained a sample properties file for fonts to determine character size and spacing. Despite the game code containing the code to read the files, it never actually uses them leaving character width and spacing to be determined dynamically.
- Enchanted items apply attributes on use.
- Cherry trees
- Adding more places to display scoreboard scores.
- Colored lighting
- A better UI for server admins/ops, inspired by the twitch user moderation menu.
- A resource pack-related feature that allows improved Russian font display
- Better construction analysis
- Partially implemented: A new system that could alter weapon behavior.
- This has been partially implemented in Java Edition 15w34a, with the implementation of attack speed
- Easier way to implement terrain changes
- Portable light (e.g. holding a torch in your hand which provides light).
- A hug animation
- Non-rectangular nether portals
- Blocks of charcoal, mentioned as something that would need to be implemented as to not complicate the existence of coal blocks
- Mentioned in 2014
- Basalt. Announced at MINECON Live 2019
- Improved camera controls
- Dinnerbone has stated he has an "Ultimate Plan" with endermites that might include the dragon egg.
- Rewriting the key bind system.
- Building a custom sound system.
- Sheep showing their color when shorn, like the Bedrock Edition
- Multithreaded terrain generation rendering.
- Fixes to chunk loading.
- JSON support on signs and possibly implementing a way to "make it work in survival". Searge later said "The plan is to eventually have every text that can be displayed on the screen use the text component system, then using § won't be necessary anymore."
- Another rabbit skin
- Changes to the world format - modularizing and storing in 16 block high sections, ids per chunk Such a feature would likely allow for infinite building height.
- Ryan Holtz originally mentioned adding a slider for cloud height, though he later stated the idea was controversial among the team so he scrapped it.
- Using the killer rabbit killing mobs for something.
- Mesa temple
- A marker entity.
- Reindeer - initially suggested for Christmas 2015.
- Being able to make the world border's center slowly move
- Mentioned in 2015
- In game lore
- Nether portals placing players in front if possible.
- Entities possibly being able to switch between weapons - "There are no plans right now for entities to use that [offhand] slot, but it might be a potential change in the future. It's just cleaner to have generic support for the off-hand slot than adding a special-case the player class only."
- Making it so shields are used to block attacks from the side the shield is held on.
- A mob which camouflages with its environment - when developing the Shulker mob, Jeb initially had it so that the mob would camouflage with the surroundings, but due to difficulties with the code and rendering, he decided to abandon this element of the mob, but stated that it may happen in the future.
- Allowing mobs to have additional random skins, similar to the kind of variation seen in horses, cats and rabbits.
/clonethe ability to rotate and mirror structures.. Structure blocks were later given the ability to rotate structures.
- Minecart improvements after/in 1.10
- Improvements to the GUI. These would allow the glowing effect to be seen on the inventory player model.
- Mentioned in 2016
- Phasing out the minecart with furnace.
- New musician villager that trades note blocks, jukeboxes, and music discs.
- A Dragon Head banner pattern
- If a piston gets powered and is unable to push, showing a smoke particle effect and playing a small "clunk" sound
- If the bow used to craft a dispenser is enchanted, making the arrows fired from the dispenser to act accordingly
- Mentioned in 2017
- Ability to edit the skybox and biome/foliage/light colors in resource packs
- More types of illagers, many suggested as joke. One of them, the Pillager, has been implemented in Java Edition 1.14.
- Nether gold ore
- A set of prismarine blocks with a color scheme matching that of the Elder Guardian, similarly to how regular prismarine imitates normal Guardians.
- Mentioned in 2018
- Seals/Sea Lions and/or Orcas
- Toggleable enchantment glows
- The return of Customized worlds, "completely different from before", with "no more screens with 50 vague sliders."
- Data-driven world generation using json files, allowing for custom structures.
- A portal that would teleport the player to a different place in the Overworld.
- Mentioned in 2019
- A crawling animation
- Illusioners in raids
- The early 1.15 snapshots included textures for a crystallized honey item and wax block, however these were allegedly not meant to make it into the game in the first place.
- Nether Portal like thing that will teleport the player to the Moon or Mars
Notch and other Mojang AB employees have frequently joked about adding various features to the game.
- Searge jokingly stated that due to the fact that people didn't dislike the changes in the 15w42a snapshot, he would add a fuel requirement to crafting tables.
- Koalas in tanks riding on planes with laser rifles was jokingly added to the "maybe later" list by Searge.
- Hot dogs.
- Herobrine. In every new major Minecraft update like Halloween Update, Adventure Update, Pretty Scary Update, Redstone Update, Horse Update, The Update That Changed The World, The Bountiful Update, The Combat Update, The Frostburn Update, The Exploration Update, The World of Color Update, Update Aquatic and Village&Pillage, it says "removed Herobrine", but Herobrine was never implemented. This has also appeared in the changelog for Scrolls version 0.103.0.
- When Hardcore mode was announced, a joke screenshot of "Ultra Hardcore Mode" was shown, where death would revoke an account's premium status.
- Jeb joked about adding chips if 100% of the community agreed on what type the chips would be.
- Jeb joked about adding more types dragons. In response, MissMarzenia joked "DRAGONS CONFIRMED."
- Marc joked about adding Top Hats for 1.4.
- Partially implemented: A snapshot named 12marc40awesome containing various joke features such as volcanoes, more dragons, coral, fish, and fish blocks. Partially added in Java Edition 1.13 with fish and corals.
- Pine cones.
- Dinnerbone joked about adding dwarves when asked about it.
- A texture known in the game files as "skis.png", was added in the Christmas/New Year update. Its textures were added by Dinnerbone as a red herring.
- SethBling mentioned a downside of command blocks on one of his livestreams, and Dinnerbone joked about removing command blocks to accommodate him.
- Dinnerbone joked that Minecraft pizza would be a good idea to add, and as a joke KrisJelbring stated that pizza is confirmed to be added.
- After the announcement of pillagers, Dinnerbone and Jeb joked about several more villager portmanteaus:
- Drillager: he comes and pokes holes in things.
- Fillager: he fixes the previous guys stuff.
- Thrillager: really likes heights and scary things.
- Killager: but we kinda already have that.
- Spillager: prevents you from drinking potions.
- Stillager: just stands around blocking important doorways.
- Millager: the only hard working one of the bunch.
- Krillager: Swims around and gets eaten by whales
- Mojang has made several April Fools jokes:
- In 2011, the locked chest or "Steve Co. Supply Crate" was temporarily added which "allowed" various micro-transactions in the game.
- In 2013, Mojang released Minecraft 2.0 which contained features such as pink withers and redstone bugs.
- In 2014, the default sounds were replaced with a voice (specifically, that of ElementAnimation, a famous YouTuber group known for making several popular videos about Minecraft) saying the name of the sound's source, the music was replaced with a rendition of the title theme of the TV series Game of Thrones (consisting of the word "door" repeated to the tune of the music), and everyone's skins were replaced with modified versions of the villager textures, edited to fit the player model. This was all blamed on the villagers.
- In 2015, Mojang released 15w14a, which made all the mobs in the game friendly and loving.
- In 2016, Mojang released 1.RV-Pre1, which added trendy items of 2016.
- In 2017, the Mine & Craft Digital Leisure Device was announced on the Minecraft website.
- In 2018, Mojang released an 8-bit resource pack to 1.12.x and versions from 17w43a to 18w11a clients.
- In 2019, Mojang released 3D Shareware v1.34, which changed the game's visual style to resemble 1990s video games.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 19w11b" – Minecraft.net, March 12, 2019
- "Not in 1.15 and I can't promise anything for 1.16 either I'm afraid." – @MiaLem_n, September 30, 2019
- "It will not be like last year where one biome gets updated but the rest don't- instead the vote is just choosing which biome will get updated first but all of those biomes will get updated." – u/HelenAngel, September 17, 2018
- "We haven't forgot about them :)" – @_ladyagnes, September 17, 2019
- "But mountains will come in a later update." – @MiaLem_n, September 28, 2019
- "There will be a new grafics setting in Minecraft. There will be a "fancy" and "super fancy" setting. Also the combat system will get an overhaul. #MinecraftCreatorSummit2018" – @docm77, May 30, 2018
- "We actually already have ideas for a block like this, but it's not likely to be done for this update sorry! We're trying to move all "complex" recipes out of the crafting table and into a specialized mechanic, as it's basically impossible to teach players about banner patterns or fireworks charges. Thanks for the ideas! <3" by /u/Dinnerbone. Reddit, October 28, 2018.
- "I should start a blooper twitter account. In other news, there is no "minecraft:water" blocks in this world - and that's why trees and flowers are taking a bath." – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2018
- Replying to "will you be able to place water in only 1 side/quarter of glass panes?": "One day, maybe! Not right now though sorry." – @Dinnerbone, March 8, 2018
- "Taking a small break from launcherstuffs to doodle around with funstuffs. Would this be of use to anybody?" – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2013
- "Arbitrary response guage: 30% "please no" 80% "yes please". Yes, that's 110%. I don't even know." – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2013
- "Okay okay, no coloured wood. How about something completely different?" – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2013
- "Half-sized blocks (all dirt tiles, so it kinda gets slow) and rain!" – The Word of Notch, October 22, 2009
- "And because PC Gamer made such a big deal of the sky dimension, I guess I'll have to finish it. Consider it confirmed." – @notch, May 19, 2011
- "Notch Answers Minecraft 1.8 Questions - Community Questions for Markus (Notch) Persson" – OmniTechNews, September 1, 2011 – via YouTube
- "It has been rebranded to be The End realm" – @jeb_, October 12, 2011
- "Probably, yes. :D I love the idea. The Ether mod does it great, try it." – @notch, November 10, 2011
- "No we don't plan to return the Sky Dimension" – @jeb_, July 2, 2012
- "We have no plans to revisit the skylands" – @Dinnerbone, July 3, 2012
- "(too many) Monsters in infdev and further reports" – The Word of Notch, April 15, 2010
- "Should minecraft have blood?" – The Word of Notch, May 19, 2011
- "Back in the office, and some words on 1.7 and 1.8!" – The Word of Notch, June 27, 2011
- "(Official) Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (Pt. 2/2) - Proof of Concept for Feature-Length" – 2PlayerProductions, February 20, 2011 – via YouTube
- "yes, eventually!" – @notch, June 5, 2011
- "I'm currently working on making friends lists possible for Mojang accounts. It will be used in #scrolls (and later in our other games too)." – @kristoffer, June 11, 2013
- "Future Updates with the Minecraft PC Team - MineCon 2012" – GameSpot, November 25, 2012 – via YouTube
- "We never finished that. We hit a roadblock with the inventory rewrite, and had to shelve it because we couldn't figure out how to proceed nicely." – u/Dinnerbone, April 9, 2015
- "I'll add that, but no promises it'll be done for this weeks snapshot" – @Dinnerbone, January 29, 2014
- "Okay, I decided not to do "spectating through other players eyes shows you their UI" because that's a little hard right now. :(" – @Dinnerbone, January 29, 2014
- "Yeah, that should be trivial to add in properly now!" – @Dinnerbone, February 12, 2014
- "It's a pain in the ass to test though! Rather pushing the limits of what we're mocking sofar, planned to implement for tomorrow :)" – u/_Grum, February 12, 2014
- "Throwing in many more hours, and survival mode plans" – The Word of Notch, July 13, 2009
- "One thing I'd really love to add into Minecraft is special weapons/tools you can find exploring or trading, that aren't normally obtainable." – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "Like a bow that has faster drawback, for example. But the attribute system needs so much work first!" – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "That's what I'm thinking, finding boots that increase (or maybe even decrease!) health - special and unique stuff" – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "The idea is these kind of things will be passive "buffs" that things can give you" – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "After release, I will totally work on slightly less dangerous dragons that don't destroy terrain and can land and whatnot. They will be red." – @notch, October 12, 2011
- "Well since Notch more or less promised red dragons, I think I need to add them. I'm just not sure how yet..." – u/jeb_, April 9, 2012
- "It was never promised, we have no plans to add a red dragon at this time." – @Dinnerbone, October 22, 2013
- "I'm sure one day there will be. Not right now though." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "Oh, I also made the color of sheep and chat customisable through ResourcePacks. Might be in the next snapshot." – @_grum, February 2, 2014
- "Agreed. I'll say it here and now though, my end goal for the MC renderer is to have a skeletal animation system (1/2)" – @TheMogMiner, April 13, 2014
- "(2/2) where you can drop in rigs and animations like that just as easily as textures or block models. :)" – @TheMogMiner, April 13, 2014
- "Yes. But not player models." – @Dinnerbone, July 13, 2014
- "Here's one thing I've been tinkering with but not added yet: Minecraft day cycles (potentially seasons). 500 days in a year, shorter nights?" – @Dinnerbone, April 15, 2013
- "It was never said to be for 1.6 :)" – @Dinnerbone, May 19, 2013
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPSVJHVL6TA&t=6h32m47s [dead link]
- http://www.twitch.tv/mojang/b/475864771?t=6h17m17s[dead link]
- “Spikes (not 100% sure about this)” – The Word of Notch, May 21, 2009
- "I want to add them, I'm just not sure how they'd look or function that best suits the game" – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- “Coal (Combine with iron ore for steel!)” – The Word of Notch, May 21, 2009
- "My vision for survival" – The Word of Notch, June 14, 2009
- "Re-decided on the whole "mods" vs "plugins" thing. Again. It's really definite this time; it's probably still "plugins"!" – @Dinnerbone, March 27, 2012
- "The Future of Minecraft: what lies ahead for the all-conquering sandbox game?" by Marsh Davies. PC Gamer, November 11, 2012.
- "The big issue I have with calling them mods is that there will still be actual mods modifying the game files, not really compatible." – @Dinnerbone, March 27, 2012
- Modding API: Modding API
- Modding API: Bukkit Developing API
- "Hey guys, I came second in the Minecon Earth costume contest. I was able to ask jeb_ some questions about 1.14 and Minecon. Heres his answers!" – u/Retro28, November 18, 2017
- "I'vent look at this yet and can't really tell at the moment. I would like to add birds, fish and tree animals to make it more alive. However this will take some time before it can be done." – u/jonkagstrom, April 13, 2012
- "I would also like to see this. Terrain changes & big structures are hard though. On my big virtual to-do list is a way to make them easier to do." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "#PlayItForward Podcast: Ep06 - Dinnerbone" – PlayItForward, April 17, 2014 – via YouTube
- "I would also like to see this. Terrain changes & big structures are hard though. On my big virtual to-do list is a way to make them easier to do." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "Yes." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "I'd actually love this. I've wanted it for so long but haven't figured out the best way to do it." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "@MCPENEWSINFO1 Yes, eventually. We are now working towards having the same game on all platforms" – @jeb_, April 4, 2015
- "Minecraft (alpha)" – Notch, May 17, 2009
- “Crystal (not sure if it has a use, but imagine finding a large slab of crystal under ground!)” – The Word of Notch, May 21, 2009
- “The good part is that I can now have renderable TileEntities, so doors can animate swinging open and whatnot.” – The Word of Notch, June 3, 2010
- "I have to say that this is amazing. It would be relatively trivial to add almost immediately, but blocks of clouds would pop in and out of existence if I did it the simple way. I will draw inspiration from this. Thank you, submitter." – u/xNotch, November 18, 2010
- "That's cool, but it wouldn't really work well with unloaded chunks. Not without weird artifacts and things popping in when you move around, or a pile of hacks that fake all of that. You need to have the chunks with those mountains loaded to know where a 'rain shadow' is accurately.
If the whole world was loaded at all times, this would be easy. A lot of the limitations of Minecraft stem from having to deal with a chunked, dynamically loaded/unloaded world. Everything needs to be very 'local', because there's no global information." – u/peterix, October 22, 2018
- "Server Portal" (archived) – Mojang Get Satisfaction, November 29, 2010.
- “Tomorrow, I will do a seecret friday update. Ooooh! I wonder what it could be? Perhaps hamsters? Perhaps turnips? Who knows!?” – The Word of Notch, August 12, 2010
- "Public To-Do List for Notch" (archived) – Toodledo.com
- "@BIindRob no, I've stopped liking that idea. Not sure why." – @notch, October 20, 2010
- "The web server is struggling, we’re migrating" – The Word of Notch, January 18, 2011
- "Rainbow Crystalline Caves and how" (archived) – Mojang Get Satisfaction, February 7, 2011.
- "(Official) Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (Pt. 2/2) - Proof of Concept for Feature-Length" – 2PlayerProductions, February 20, 2011 – via YouTube – February 20, 2011
- "Minecraft Beta 1.5, and some thoughts on this blog" – The Word of Notch, April 19, 2011
- "@OhHaiMe It will not update if you leave the map area. It only maps the top level now, but cave maps is an interesting idea.." – @notch, April 27, 2011
- “The code I write to support that will also be possible to reuse in the future for things like books and notes written by players, and possibly even custom paintings/hand drawn signs.” – The Word of Notch, April 27, 2011
- "Coding with Notch (from Minecraft: The Story of Mojang)" – 2PlayerProductions, November 21, 2011 – via YouTube
- "@Maxwilso As soon as I've made preparations for more texture space" – @jeb_, February 9, 2012
- "I haven't looked at this yet. I'm afraid it will add a lot of complexity to the redstone code, but it's definitely doable. It's one of those "later" things." – u/jeb_, April 4, 2012
- "Question: "Is there going to be an external folder we can just drop the 'schematics' in?" Answer: "That would have been very neat. Would also be cool if the schematics were online and shared automatically, kind of like Spore's creatures. On the question of when, I don't know."" – u/jeb_, April 4, 2012
- "Silk touch yields two single slabs from a double slab block, equivalent to normal pickaxe usage. This may or may not change. #Minecraft" – @EvilSeph, May 3, 2012
- "*If* we add it for multiplayer, it'd probably be an op-only /pause with an optional automatic pause when everyone's in a menu." – @Dinnerbone, May 4, 2012
- "@Puremin0rez Pause the whole server. Everyone would see a screen saying "the server is paused because so and so", with chat until unpaused" – @Dinnerbone, May 4, 2012
- "@JarGargon Some day, perhaps. Little tricky right now." – @Dinnerbone, July 9, 2012
- "In other news, here's something I was playing with after I ran out of bugfixes earlier. http://dinnerbone.com/media/uploads/2012-07/screenshots/2012-07-24_14-26-43.I81819362.png … (No, it's not in 12w30c!)" – @Dinnerbone, July 24, 2012
- "Coding some new mobstuffs. This is hilarious. He has no clothes! :(" – @Dinnerbone, August 13, 2012
- "Working on a very old but popular minecraft suggestion that keeps popping up every so often; I put my new mob on hold for now." – @Dinnerbone, August 14, 2012
- "@123sendodo No. I've shelved that mob for now." – @Dinnerbone, September 14, 2012
- "I'm considering a change to maps to allow them to support more colours and texpack customizations, but back-compat would be difficult... Hm." – @Dinnerbone, August 27, 2012
- "@Brail4 Hard to do "properly". Working on it, but no guarantees." – @Dinnerbone, August 28, 2012
- "@crash_nick Likely not, but I was considering reusing that space for something else!" – @Dinnerbone, September 26, 2012
- "Fireworks don't affect any gameplay yet, but obviously wolves should be frightened (and maybe other things?)" – @jeb_, December 7, 2012
- "Episode 10 – “The Future of Minecraft” (at 1:47:20)" (archived) , September 1, 2014.
- "They're trying to take another village, so we used their tracks against them and sent in the turrets. I hope this works http://i.imgur.com/HXPKn.jpg " – @Dinnerbone, January 7, 2013
- "Font files will have all their data serialized out so that we don't break the font trying to figure everything out ourselves. Not yet implemented as of time of writing." – Dinnerbone, May 28, 2013
- "One of my goals of the new attribute system is to allow Bane of Arthropods to temporarily slow spiders on hit. Only then will I be happy." – @Dinnerbone, May 30, 2013
- "I would love to see (sharing this with millions of Japanese people?) cherry trees in Minecraft. http://youtu.be/C6xi9JMDv44 @jeb_ @Dinnerbone" – @pgeuder, July 29, 2013
- MINECON 2013 Day 1 at 05:56:50 – November 2, 2013
- "@BlackDragon17x I've actually done so in a separate branch, but it's buggy and needs work still. Won't say no, but don't expect it for 1.8." – @TheMogMiner, November 7, 2013
- "@WesCook There's plans to!" – @Dinnerbone, November 19, 2013
- "@ShuraShpilkin not yet, but you just made me realise a nice feature I could add that should make that possible with a ResourcePack. Thanks!" – @_grum, December 1, 2013
- "Analyzing block placement creates some really hard-to-read and slow code... That's the main reason why a "village house" is just a door. We hope to add better systems for analyzing constructions in the future, but changing the bookshelf layout is not our main priority." – u/jeb_, December 17, 2013
- "Enchantment that changes blocking could be fun, but I think that could better fit a different system I hope to be working on soon." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "I hope so, but it's really taxing from a technical standpoint." – u/Dinnerbone, December 18, 2013
- "Yes, with the plugin API. I'd love emotes, I'd love to include support for them (with animations) but they're tricky to do right now. I tell you what; I'll look into a hug animation when I can!" – u/dinnerbone, December 19, 2013
- "This feels too cliche..." – @Dinnerbone, September 10, 2013
- "No. Logical issues with crafting and destroying. There would have to be separate coal/charcoal blocks which isn't nice." – @Dinnerbone, April 5, 2013
- "I was considering adding basalt, but I didn't want to add another black block. Not now, anyway." – u/jeb_, January 12, 2014
- "@Tarvii Ain't done yet. Camera controls are on my list." – @Dinnerbone, January 30, 2014
- "I do have an Ultimate Plan™ with endermites, but it will wait. May also include dragon egg but I haven't discussed this with the team yet." – @Dinnerbone, March 13, 2014
- "@Brail4 No problem! We're rewriting the inventory system + the keybind system to make stuff like this possible, but I can't guarantee when.." – @Dinnerbone, March 20, 2014
- "@cazzar99 Which bug? Building our own soundengine is on the todo list :(" – @_grum, April 9, 2014
- "@stonepa11 Challenge accepted!" – @TheMogMiner, April 13, 2014
- "I hear you there. It would be nice to make the terrain generation and terrain rendering multithreaded, but the code isn't quite decoupled enough yet to make such a thing easy. It's somewhere on the road map, though." – u/TheMogMiner, April 24, 2014
- "Yeah, chunk loading is a pretty personal bugbear for me. ..." – u/TheMogMiner, June 7, 2014
- "@DtrollMcModder It's one of the things I'm looking into, actually! Thanks for your input, I'm glad people are looking forward to a fix. :)" – @TheMogMiner, June 6, 2014
- "Is this a thing? Not yet, but maybe in our next snapshot. Well, if we find anyone who actually likes this feature..." – @SeargeDP, June 9, 2014
- "It's not easy to make it work in survival, will discuss options tomorrow to see if we find a nice solution." – @SeargeDP, June 9, 2014
- "The plan is to eventually have every text that can be displayed on the screen use the text component system, then using § won't be necessary anymore. But that's still work in progress and I don't know exactly when we will finish this task." – u/Searge, August 7, 2015
- "@TABII98_1911 Yup, can you send me a DM with the pictures?" – @TheMogMiner, July 12, 2014
- "@TABII98_1911 Probably not in this snapshot, but remind me on Friday." – @TheMogMiner, July 2, 2014
- "@Summanistweets won't be cubic chunks perse. But that will be the unit of storage." – @_grum, July 17, 2014
- "Yesh yesh y'all http://i.imgur.com/bgm4lpW.png" – @TheMogMiner, June 17, 2014
- "Well, I didn't think cloud height could possibly be controversial among the team, but it is, so out it goes. Sorry for getting hopes up." – @TheMogMiner, June 17, 2014
- "@docm77 that's not how it works, but I'll write down the idea for something else I plan to add eventually :)" – @SeargeDP, July 23, 2014
- "@cyruschan2003 Maybe one day" – @jeb_, August 7, 2014
- "Armorstands as position markers, with Small, Nogravity and Invisible set to true, DisabledSlots set to 31. Until we have something better." – @SeargeDP, August 25, 2014
- "@joshnoodle98 No idea what you are doing, but I'm definitely hinting at a marker entity in the future." – @SeargeDP, August 25, 2014
- "OAuth is still on our todo list, but it's not a high priority right now (or rather, we have a bunch of higher priority things which need to come first) sorry" – u/Dinnerbone, November 25, 2014
- "Next xmas?" – u/jeb_, December 14, 2014
- "Question: @Dinnerbone Is it or will it be possible to set the world border center-point to slowly move? Travelling UHC mode would be cool. Answer: @WorkdayLobster I do want to add this." – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2014
- "@Spenny1425 Well, maybe not nachos, but corn could be a fun food source" – @jeb_, January 13, 2015
- "@searous Maybe, but we also like the mystery" – @jeb_, February 10, 2015
- "For 1.8.4 this will be fixed just by keeping the player in the portal block, but this is not ideal and it should make sure we can place them outside if it's a "preferable" spot (ie: not a drop into lava). This will be fixed fully in a later release." – Dinnerbone, April 17, 2015
- "There are no plans right now for entities to use that slot, but it might be a potential change in the future. It's just cleaner to have generic support for the off-hand slot than adding a special-case the player class only." – u/Searge, June 15, 2015
- "Minecon 2015 - Upcoming Features" – MinMax123, July 5, 2015 – via YouTube
- "MINECON 2015 Upcoming Features" – Minecraft, July 30, 2015 – via YouTube
- "MINECON 2015 The Minecraft Team: Behind the Scenes" – Minecraft August 10, 2015 – via YouTube
- "@JonpotTDS you can't use them, the functionality is disabled in release builds. Some of it will soon be added to /clone, but not in 15w31" – @SeargeDP, July 29, 2015
- "MINECON 2015 The Minecraft Team: Behind the Scenes" – Minecaft, August 10, 2015 – via YouTube
- "I have plans, prototyped them, ran into problems, might have a solution ... but can only work on it after the structural changes I want to do in 1.10 :D Also no spoilers! Though those would be fun on a minecart, along with some flame decals =D" – u/_Grum, October 21, 2015
- "@alphaxseven @Dinnerbone @SeargeDP I think we will phase out the furnace minecraft" – @jeb_, February 15, 2016
- "I like this idea! That doesn't mean it will get added right now, though. Two issues; maybe a little too niche, and where would it live? ;)" – u/jeb_, May 16, 2016
- "If the dragon head block would have a banner pattern, what would it look like?" – @jeb_, November 30, 2016
- "Added to our minor polishing list." – u/jeb_, December 15, 2016
- "Added to our minor polishing list." – u/jeb_, December 15, 2016
- "I have a branch with a prototype for this somewhere, might have time to work on it for 1.13 :)" – u/_Grum, April 20, 2017
- "Just posting this here so you don't think we nicked the idea from the community: There is a "Pillager" illager on our planned TODO list. It's not going to be a pirate, though." – u/jeb_, March 27, 2017
- "Other ones we considered:
• Drillager, he comes and pokes holes in things.
• Fillager, he fixes the previous guys stuff.
• Thrillager, really likes heights and scary things.
• Killager, but we kinda already have that.
• Spillager, prevents you from drinking potions.
• Stillager, just stands around blocking important doorways.
• Millager, the only hard working one of the bunch." – u/Dinnerbone, March 27, 2017
- "• Krillager - Swims around and gets eaten by whales" – u/jeb_, March 27, 2017
- "Meet the Vindicator" – Minecraft.net, June 20, 2017
- "I like this suggestion. I would even go further and make the gold ore blocks appear in larger areas (as veins), and not speckled everywhere in the Nether. I agree on the aggro'ing of Pigman Zombies, it makes it more interesting." – u/jeb_, March 2, 2017
- "Very cool! I'll pass this along. :)" – u/HelenAngel, November 19, 2017
- "who knows what the future may hold." – @the_t_pearson, March 11, 2018
- "What if we made it a video option where you could turn on or off the enchantment glow?" – u/HelenAngel, April 11, 2018
- "Customized worlds will be returning. I can't speak for the extra options you mentioned though." – u/AlmightyZing
"But after 1.13" – u/_Grum, May 15, 2018
- "Would you really not consider holding off 1.13 until customised worlds are finished? Seems pretty crazy to set a precedent for the chance of losing features for several updates.
We came so close to having access to customising structures in world gen this update too, a shame that hasn't made the cut" – u/DaUltraMarine
"No, they will come back but completely different from before." – u/_Grum, May 15, 2018
- "No customization until after 1.13, or the other things?" – u/Kobbett
"No more screens with 50 vague sliders indeed." – u/_Grum, May 15, 2018
- "jebkaile - Mixer" "We are changing the world generator. The actual world will more or less look the same, but the way it's generated, it's all data-driven, so you can make your own generator settings in json files.".
- "MINECON Earth 2018 - The Minecraft Developers panel!" – Minecraft, October 2, 2018 – via YouTube
- "Ideally, yes" – @henrikkniberg, April 2, 2019
- "MINECON Live 2019" – Minecraft, September 28, 2019 – via YouTube
- "Ask Mojang Episode #4" by Per Landin. Minecraft.net, November 8, 2019
- "I tried really hard, but nobody seems to dislike the change so far. I failed, time to add a fuel requirement to crafting tables." – @SeargeDP, October 14, 2015
- "Koalas in tanks on airplanes with laser rifles? No, but I like the idea, let's put it on the "maybe later" list." – @SeargeDP, September 16, 2015
- "So obviously, hotdogs confirmed for 1.6" – @notch, April 25, 2011
- "Crafting and Mining in Minecraft" – The Word of Notch, January 29, 2010
- "http://i.imgur.com/1DNGn.png" – @notch, September 23, 2011
- "I'll add chips when 100% of the community agrees they look like http://bit.ly/NKwXxu or like http://bit.ly/NKx0Jv" – @jeb_, August 24, 2012
- "DRAGONS CONFIRMED" – @jeb_, April 13, 2015
- "Tophats confirmed for 1.4!" – @Marc_IRL, September 17, 2012
- "Snapshot 12marc40awesome coming soon by our very own @Marc_IRL!" – @Dinnerbone, October 4, 2012
- "How many pine cones grow on a tree? This must be answered or no more work can be done." – @jeb_, October 25, 2012
- "Hey abrightmoore, next tuesday at around 8." – u/Dinnerbone, August 3, 2012
- "Bingo." – @Dinnerbone, December 24, 2012
- http://es-mx.twitch.tv/sethbling/b/364067137 [dead link]
- "Pizza confirmed for the next update?" – @KrisJelbring, November 15, 2013
- "Other ones we considered:" – u/Dinnerbone, March 27, 2017
- "• Krillager - Swims around and gets eaten by whales" – u/jeb_, March 27, 2017
- "It's finally coming - Minecraft 2.0!" by Dinnerbone. Mojang.com, April 1, 2013
|Legacy Console Edition|