Fish (food)

From Minecraft Wiki
(Redirected from Raw salmon)
Jump to: navigation, search
Raw Cod.pngRaw Salmon.pngClownfish.pngPufferfish.png
Cooked Cod.pngCooked Salmon.png




See Food


Raw Cod and Raw Salmon:Yes
All others:No




Yes (64)


Cooked: 0.35
Caught: 1–6

First appearances

See History

Data values

See data values


See data values

Raw Cod is a food item.

Raw Salmon is a rarer variant of raw cod.

Clownfish is an even rarer variant of raw cod that cannot be cooked.

Pufferfish is a highly poisonous variant of raw cod.

Cooked Cod is a food item obtained by cooking raw cod.

Cooked Salmon is a food item obtained by cooking raw salmon.



The most common way of obtaining any type of raw fish is fishing. The wait time of one being caught is decreased with the Lure enchantment and the chance of one being caught is slightly decreased with the Luck of the Sea enchantment (so named because it increases treasure, not fish)

Mob drops[edit]


Guardians drop raw cod as a common drop. The cod will be cooked if killed while on fire.

Guardians and elder guardians also drop fish as a rare drop. This has a 60% chance of being raw cod, a 25% chance of being raw salmon, a 2% chance of being clownfish and a 13% chance of being pufferfish. The chance of getting a fish can be increased with looting, but the type of fish is not affected.

Polar Bears[edit]

Polar bears drop 0–2 raw fish when killed. This has a 75% chance of being raw cod and a 25% chance of being raw salmon. Polar bears do not drop clownfish or pufferfish. The cod will be raw even if the polar bear is on fire when killed.


Fish drop respective items upon death.

Natural generation[edit]

Raw salmon can be found in 61.5% of bonus chests in stacks of 1–2.

In 1.13[upcoming] cooked salmon can be found in 75.0% of buried treasure chests in stacks of 2–4.

In 1.13[upcoming] cooked cod can be found in 75.0% of buried treasure chests in stacks of 2–4.


Ingredients Smelting recipe
Raw Cod or
Raw Salmon +
Any fuel


Fisherman villagers will sell 6 cooked cod for 6 raw cod and 1 emerald.



Raw cod restores 2 (Hunger.svg) and 0.4 saturation. Cooked cod restores 5 (Half Hunger.svgHunger.svgHunger.svg) and 6 saturation. Raw salmon restores 2 (Hunger.svg) and 0.2 saturation. Cooked salmon restores 6 (Hunger.svgHunger.svgHunger.svg) and 9.6 saturation. Clownfish restores 1 (Half Hunger.svg) and 0.2 saturation. Pufferfish restores 1 (Half Hunger.svg) and 0.2 saturation, and inflicts
III for 15 seconds,
IV for 1 minute, and
II for 15 seconds.


Raw cod can be used to tame ocelots, get cats off of chests, beds, etc., breed cats, and make baby cats grow up faster by 10% of the remaining time.[Java Edition only] Raw salmon, clownfish and pufferfish will also work. [Java and Legacy Console editions only]

Brewing ingredient[edit]

Name Ingredients Brewing recipe
Potion of Water Breathing Pufferfish +
Awkward Potion

Mundane Potion Pufferfish + Water Bottle

Data values[edit]

DV Description

0 Raw Cod

1 Raw Salmon

2 Clownfish

3 Pufferfish
DV Description

0 Cooked Cod

1 Cooked Salmon


Icon Achievement In-game description Actual requirements (if different) Availability Xbox points earned Trophy type (PS)
Xbox PS Bedrock Nintendo

Delicious FishCatch and cook a fish!Pick up a cooked fish from a furnace output.YesYesYesYes15GSilver

Lion TamerTame an OcelotYesYesYesYes15GBronze


Icon Advancement In-game description Parent Actual requirements (if different) Internal ID
HusbandryThe world is full of friends and foodEat anything that can be eaten.minecraft:husbandry/root
A Balanced DietEat everything that is edible, even if it's not good for youA Seedy PlaceEat each of these 36 foods. (1 added in 1.13[upcoming]) Other foods, like cake, are ignored for the advancement.minecraft:husbandry/balanced_diet



1.2.0 Raw Fish.pngCooked Fish.pngAdded fish.
1.5 Cooking fish now gives the Delicious Fish achievement.
1.8 Fish is now stackable to 64 and fills hunger instead of health.
Official release
1.2.1 12w04a Raw fish can be fed to ocelots to tame them into cats.
1.3.1 12w21a Farmer villagers now buy 9–12 cooked fish for 1 emerald.
1.7.2 13w36a Raw Salmon 13w36a-18w08b.pngCooked Salmon 13w36a-18w08b.pngClownfish 13w36a-18w10a.pngOld Pufferfish.pngAdded raw salmon, cooked salmon, clownfish, and pufferfish.
Potion of Water Breathing added; they can be brewed by adding a pufferfish to an Awkward Potion.
13w43a Pufferfish 13w43a-18w08b.pngChanged pufferfish texture.
1.8 14w02a Cooked fish trade changed: fisherman villagers now sell 6 cooked fish for 1 emerald plus 6 raw fish. Farmer villagers no longer buy cooked fish, and cooked salmon can no longer be traded by villagers.
14w04a Corrected name from cooked_fished to cooked_fish.
14w25a Fish, raw salmon, clownfish, and pufferfish are now obtainable rare drops from guardians and elder guardians.
1.9 15w44a Raw salmon can now be found in bonus chests.
1.10 16w20a Raw fish and raw salmon are now dropped from polar bears.
1.13 17w47a "Raw Fish" and "Cooked Fish" renamed to "Raw Cod" and "Cooked Cod", respectively.
18w07a Raw Cod is now used to breed turtles.
18w07b Raw Cod is no longer used to breed turtles. Sea grass is used instead.
18w08b Cod, pufferfish, and salmon have been added as mobs, which will drop their (raw) item form when killed.
Raw Cod.pngCooked Cod.pngRaw Salmon.pngCooked Salmon.pngPufferfish.png Updated the textures for all the fish items.
18w10a Clownfish.png Updated clownfish Texture.
Cooked cod and cooked salmon now generate in buried treasure chests.
Pocket Edition Alpha
0.11.0 build 1 Added all 6 types of fish.
0.12.1 build 1 All types of fish now restores hunger instead of health.
Pufferfish can now be used to make potion of water breathing.
Legacy Console Edition
TU1CU11.0Patch 1Added fish.
TU5Fish is now stackable to 64 and fills hunger instead of health.
TU12Raw fish can be fed to ocelots to tame them into cats.
TU13Raw fish is no longer removed from the player's inventory when trying to tame an ocelot in Creative mode.
TU31CU191.22Patch 3Added raw salmon, cooked salmon, clownfish, and pufferfish.


Issues relating to “Fish (food)” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.


  • In the Halloween Update, Notch said he would add fish as a sea creature; however, he had limited time, and was thus only able to add them as an item. However, they will be added in 1.13 update.[1]
  • Raw fish most closely resembles white crappie or tilapia. However, the texture files and language text label them as cod.
  • The consumption of pufferfish inflicting the player with nausea and poison is actually based on reality, as real pufferfish contain the extremely dangerous toxin Tetrodotoxin within their organs, especially their liver. Muscle tissue and blood only contain trace amounts. In East Asia, pufferfish are considered a delicacy known as fugu, as small parts of the fish are actually edible.
    • If this dish is prepared incorrectly, it can be lethal through respiratory paralysis. Therefore, any chef preparing fugu would have to have special licensing/certification to prepare this dish.



See also[edit]

Promotional Content