Join us on Discord!
Raw Fish and Raw Salmon: Yes
See data values
Raw fish[until 1.13] (
Raw cod[upcoming 1.13]) is a food item.
Raw salmon is a food item.
Clownfish[until 1.13] (Tropical fish[upcoming 1.13]) is a food item that cannot be cooked.
[until 1.13] (
[upcoming 1.13])Pufferfish is a highly poisonous food item and potion ingredient.
Cooked fish[until 1.13] (
Cooked cod[upcoming 1.13]) is a food item obtained by cooking raw fish.
Cooked salmon is a food item obtained by cooking raw salmon.
- 1 Obtaining
- 2 Usage
- 3 Data values
- 4 Achievements
- 5 Advancements
- 6 Video
- 7 History
- 8 Issues
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 References
- 12 See also
The most common way of obtaining any type of fish is fishing. The wait time of one being caught is decreased with the Lure enchantment and the chance of one being caught is slightly decreased with the Luck of the Sea enchantment (named as such because it increases treasure, not fish).
Guardians and Elder Guardians
Guardians and elder guardians have a 40% and 50% chance to drop raw cod as a common drop respectively when killed. The raw cod will become cooked if the guardian/elder guardian was killed while on fire.
Guardians and elder guardians also drop a random fish as a rare drop besides the common raw cod drop. This has a 60% chance of being raw cod, a 25% chance of being raw salmon, a 2% chance of being tropical fish and a 13% chance of being pufferfish. The chance of getting a fish can be increased with looting, but the type of fish is not affected.
Polar bears drop 0–2 raw cod when killed. This has a 75% chance of being raw cod and a 25% chance of being raw salmon. Polar bears do not drop tropical fish or pufferfish. The cod and/or salmon will be raw even if the polar bear is on fire when killed.
Raw salmon can be found in 61.5% of bonus chests in stacks of 1–2.
|Raw Cod or
Raw Salmon +
Raw fish restores 2 () and 0.4 saturation. Cooked fish restores 3 ()[Java Edition only] /5 () and 0.6[Java Edition only] /6 saturation. Raw salmon restores 2 () and 0.2 saturation. Cooked salmon restores 6 () and 9.6 saturation. Clownfish restores 1 () and 0.2 saturation. Pufferfish restores 1 () and 0.2 saturation, and inflicts
Hunger III for 15 seconds,
Poison IV for 1 minute, and
Nausea II for 15 seconds.
Raw fish can be used to tame ocelots, get cats off of chests, beds, etc., breed cats, and make baby cats grow up faster by 10% of the remaining time.[Java Edition only] Raw salmon, clownfish and pufferfish will also work. [Java and Legacy Console editions only]
Dolphins can be fed raw cod.[Bedrock and Java editions only][upcoming 1.13] Doing this will improve their trust with the player, and interact with them more. However, unlike most animals, this will not cause them to breed.
Additionally, dolphins will swim to the nearest chest in an underwater ruins or shipwreck structure when they are fed raw cod.[upcoming 1.13 & 1.5] If the chest in the nearest structure is broken, they will instead swim to the nearest structure that has a chest.
|Potion of Water Breathing||Pufferfish +
|Mundane Potion||Pufferfish + Water Bottle|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Delicious Fish||Catch and cook a fish!||Pick up a cooked fish from a furnace output.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Silver|
|Lion Tamer||Tame an Ocelot||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Husbandry||The world is full of friends and food||—||Eat anything that can be eaten.||
|Fishy Business||Catch a fish[upcoming 1.13]||Husbandry||Use a fishing rod to catch a fish.||
|A Balanced Diet||Eat everything that is edible, even if it's not good for you||A Seedy Place||Eat each of these 36 foods. (1 added in 1.13[upcoming]) Other foods, like cake, are ignored for the advancement.||
|1.5||Cooking fish now gives the Delicious Fish achievement.|
|1.8||?||Fish is now stackable to 64 and fills hunger instead of health.|
|1.2.1||12w04a||Raw fish can be fed to ocelots to tame them into cats.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Farmer villagers now buy 9–12 cooked fish for 1 emerald.|
Added raw salmon, cooked salmon, clownfish, and pufferfish.
|Potion of Water Breathing added; they can be brewed by adding a pufferfish to an Awkward Potion.|
Changed pufferfish texture.
|1.8||14w02a||Cooked fish trade changed: fisherman villagers now sell 6 cooked fish for 1 emerald plus 6 raw fish. Farmer villagers no longer buy cooked fish, and cooked salmon can no longer be traded by villagers.|
|14w04a||Corrected name from
|14w25a||Fish, raw salmon, clownfish, and pufferfish are now obtainable rare drops from guardians and elder guardians.|
|1.9||15w44a||Raw salmon can now be found in bonus chests.|
|1.10||16w20a||Raw fish and raw salmon are now dropped from polar bears.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.13||17w47a||The different data values for the
|17w47a||"Raw Fish" and "Cooked Fish" renamed to "Raw Cod" and "Cooked Cod", respectively.|
|18w07a||Raw cod is now used to breed turtles.|
|18w07b||Raw cod is no longer used to breed turtles. Seagrass is used instead.|
|18w08b||Cod, pufferfish, and salmon have been added as mobs, which will drop their (raw) item form when killed.|
Updated the textures for all the fish items.
|18w10a||Cooked cod and cooked salmon now generate in buried treasure chests.|
|18w15a||Raw cod can now be used to feed dolphins.|
|Raw cod can now be obtained as a drop from dolphins.|
|18w19a||Clownfish are now named Tropical fish.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added all 6 types of fish.|
|0.12.1||build 1||All types of fish now restores hunger instead of health.|
|Pufferfish can now be used to make potion of water breathing.|
|raw fish and raw salmon can be used to feed ocelot to tame it.|
|0.16.0||build 1||Fish now dropped by guardians and elder guardians.|
|1.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added polar bear that drop raw salmon and raw fish.|
|1.0.4||alpha 126.96.36.199||Fisherman villagers now sell 6 cooked fish for 1 emerald plus 6 raw fish. Farmer villagers no longer buy cooked fish, and cooked salmon can no longer be traded by villagers.|
|1.2||beta 188.8.131.52||Raw salmon now found inside bonus chest.|
|1.4||beta 184.108.40.206||Cod, pufferfish, and salmon have been added as mobs, which will drop their (raw) item form when killed.|
Updated the textures for all the fish items.
|beta 220.127.116.11||Raw fish now dropped by dolphins and can be used to feed them.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.5||beta 18.104.22.168||Giving raw fish or raw salmon to dolphins will lead the player to nearest underwater ruins or shipwreck.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added fish.|
|TU5||Fish is now stackable to 64 and fills hunger instead of health.|
|TU12||Raw fish can be fed to ocelots to tame them into cats.|
|TU13||Raw fish is no longer removed from the player's inventory when trying to tame an ocelot in Creative mode.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Added raw salmon, cooked salmon, clownfish, and pufferfish.|
- In the Halloween Update, Notch said he would add fish as a sea creature; however, he had limited time, and was thus only able to add them as an item. However, they will be added in 1.13 update.
- Raw fish most closely resembles white crappie or tilapia. However, the texture files and language text label them as cod. In 1.13, its in-game name will be cod as well.[upcoming 1.13]
- The consumption of pufferfish inflicting the player with nausea and poison is actually based on reality, as real pufferfish contain the extremely dangerous toxin Tetrodotoxin within their organs, especially their liver. Muscle tissue and blood only contain trace amounts. In East Asia, pufferfish are considered a delicacy known as fugu, as small parts of the fish are actually edible.
- If this dish is prepared incorrectly, it can be lethal through respiratory paralysis. Therefore, any chef preparing fugu would have to have special licensing/certification to prepare this dish.