|This page would benefit from the addition of more images.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable images to the article. The specific instructions are: actual renders with banners
Height: 1.95 blocks
See § Drops
A raid captain is the occurrence of an illager spawning with an Ominous[Java Edition only]/Illager[Bedrock Edition only] Banner on top of its head, usually a pillager or vindicator, or rarely an evoker.
Raid captains spawn in the same conditions and occurrences of any illager, with no special occasions having one spawn and one spawning being completely randomized.
|Type of illager||Illager patrol||Raid||Pillager outpost||Woodland mansion|
|Pillager||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Yes, multiple times||Never|
|Vindicator||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Never||Yes, multiple times|
|Evoker||Never||Yes, rarely||Never||Yes, rarely|
As part of raids a raid captain will spawn as a part of a group of pillagers, and sometimes spawn riding a ravager. The captain will not cause another raid if killed, but when its banner drops, other illagers will rush to grab it.
Usually, 1–3 raid captains will also spawn in a pillager outpost - these are always pillagers.
Woodland mansions[Java Edition only]
Upon death, any raid captain can drop:
- 0–2 arrows, dropping more with the presence of Looting, up to 5[Bedrock Edition only].
- Its crossbow (may be loaded or unloaded) which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It will have a random durability and may be enchanted.
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting.
- 1 Totem of Undying
- 0–1 Emerald if killed by the player.
- Looting increases the maximum drop of emeralds by 1 per level, up to 4 emeralds.
- Looting doesn't affect the totem of undying.
- Its bow which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It will have a random durability, and will not be enchanted.
In Bedrock Edition, raid captains that spawn from raids can additionally drop:
- 0-1 Emerald
And an additionally drop depend on difficulty, 65% chance of dropping on easy and normal, while 80% chance of dropping on hard
They can drop one of these;
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Iron Pickaxe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 chance)
- Iron equipment from raider drops has 50% chance of being enchanted with random enchantment.
- Iron equipment from raider drops will be badly damaged.
- These drop also affected by Looting enchantment.
- Emerald is both a regular raider drop and an additional raider drop.
Raid captains usually act the same as if they were a normal illager, but other illagers behind them will follow them(except for outpost captain), and usually the captain will take the lead ahead of the other illagers. Once a raid captain is killed by a player, the player will be inflicted with 1 level of the Bad Omen effect, which can cause a raid to occur if they enter a village (unless the raid captain actually spawned in a raid, in which case it will not give Bad Omen). The captain will drop its ominous banner as well, and other illagers nearby will try to pick up that banner and become the next captain.
Both patrol and outpost captains grant one level of Bad Omen when killed, but captains found in raids themselves never give Bad Omen.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|I've got a bad feeling about this||Kill a Pillager Captain||No||No||Yes||No||20G||-|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Voluntary Exile||Kill a raid captain.|
Maybe consider staying away from villages for the time being...
- Individual entity IDs
- Entity tag
- All Illagers:
|1.14||18w45a||Added raid captains, which spawned as part of illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Added raids, which also include raid captains.|
|18w49a||Raid captains can now be killed multiple times to stack Bad Omen.|
|18w50a||Raid captains can now spawn at pillager outposts.|
|Raid captains in outposts will grant 1 level of bad omen, whilst raid captains in patrols will be able to grant 1-3.|
|19w13a||Raid captains will grant only 1 level of bad omen now.|
|1.11.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Added raid captains.|
|Currently do not inflict bad omen on the player after being killed.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Illagers now properly follow captains during illager patrols.|
|Raid captains now properly give a bad omen when killed.|
|1.12.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Raid captains now properly drop their omnious banners when killed.|
|The bad omen is now only only received when killing the captain, not when damaging it with a ranged weapon.|
|Illagers can now properly be turned into captains via tags.|
- Though illusioners are unused, they can also be spawned as a raid captain.
- The advancement 'Voluntary Exile' actually requires the banner rather than killing the captain. This means you can avoid killing the captain and still get the advancement by going to a Pillager Outpost