|Catches fire from lava||
dec: 27 hex: 1B bin: 11011
See § Data values
Powered rails can be crafted and previously-placed powered rails can be broken with bare hands or any tool, dropping themselves as items. To remove a powered rail, attack it:
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
|Gold Ingot +
A powered rail can be used as a rail and as a redstone component.
To place a powered rail, use a powered rail item while pointing at a surface facing the space the powered rail should occupy. A powered rail can be placed on:
- the top of any full solid opaque block (stone, dirt, blocks of gold, etc.), including full-block mechanism components (command blocks, dispensers, droppers, note blocks, and redstone lamps)
- the top of a hopper, upside-down slab, or upside-down stairs.
A powered rail cannot be attached to the side or bottom of any block, but attempting to make such an attachment may cause the powered rail to attach to the top of a block under the destination space. For example, if a fence is on the ground, attempting to attach a powered rail to the side of the fence causes the powered rail to be attached to the top of the ground next to the fence instead.
When placed, a powered rail configures itself to line up with any adjacent rails (including activator rails, detector rails, and other powered rails), as well as adjacent rails one block up. If there are two adjacent rails on non-opposite sides, or three or more adjacent rails, a powered rail lines up in the east-west direction. If there are no adjacent rails, a powered rail lines up in the north-south direction (but if a rail is later placed to the east or west, the powered rail re-orients itself in the east-west direction even if it is already connected to another rail to the north or south). If a rail it would line up with is one block up, a powered rail slants upward toward it (with multiple options to slant upward to, a powered rail "prefers", in order: west, east, south, and north). Other configurations can be created by placing and removing various rails.
Powered rails (and other rails) can be used as "roads" for minecarts. A minecart that enters a powered rail's space from either end of the powered rail continues to move in the direction the powered rail is facing, but its speed may change depending on whether the powered rail is active or not (see below). A minecart that enters a powered rail's space from the side turns east or south (depending on the powered rail's orientation), or in the downward direction for a slanted powered rail.
Powered rails can be used to affect the speed of minecarts that travel over them.
- A powered rail is a redstone mechanism and can be activated by:
- an adjacent active power component (for example, a redstone torch, a block of redstone, a daylight sensor, etc.)
- an adjacent powered block (strongly-powered or weakly-powered)
- a powered redstone comparator or redstone repeater facing the powered rail
- powered redstone dust configured to point at the powered rail, or a directionless "dot" next to it; a powered rail is not activated by adjacent powered redstone dust that is configured to point in another direction.
- An activated powered rail also activates any adjacent powered rails it is connected to, up to eight away from the original activation source. Thus a single activation source can activate up to 17 rails (one original in the middle and eight on either side). An activated powered rail does not activate non-connected adjacent rails.
- An active powered rail:
- increases the speed of a moving minecart in the direction it is already moving
- accelerate a non-moving minecart away from a solid opaque block the powered rail is facing (so a non-moving minecart moves away from the block when the powered rail activates, and a moving minecart bounces off a block an active powered rail is facing because it stops and then gets accelerated away)
- An inactive powered rail reduces the speed of a moving minecart, usually stopping it within one block's distance even on a downward-slanted track. If a slanted powered rail activates with a non-moving minecart on it, the minecart starts moving downward (because it is no longer being braked by an inactive powered rail) and is then accelerated downward.
- Powered rails cannot increase the speed of a minecart to more than 8 blocks per second on either the north-south or east-west axis. The speeds that can be achieved with varying numbers of powered rails or intervals of normal rails between powered rails is complex -- for a thorough discussion, see Tutorials/Minecarts.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||1.125||0.5||16|
|Block||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
[Bedrock Edition only]
A three-bit field storing a value from 0 to 5:
|0x8||Set if rail is active.|
[Java Edition only]
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|powered||True if rail is activated.|
|shape||Specifies the rail's orientation.|
|A rail that ascends toward the direction noted.|
For example, an
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|rail_data_bit||True if rail is activated.|
|rail_direction||The direction the rail is facing.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.5||Added powered rails.|
|1.6||?||The effectiveness of powered rails has now been increased as a response to fixing the minecart booster bug.|
|1.9||15w44a||Powered rails can now be found in abandoned mineshaft chest minecarts.|
|1.11||16w32b||All rail types' hitbox heights are decreased from a full block to a half block.|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID of powered rails has been changed from |
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 27.|
|1.14||18w43a||The textures of powered rails has now been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 2||Added powered rails, but the rails are always powered.|
|0.13.0||build 1||Powered rails no longer have intrinsic power, i.e. they need to be powered by an external power source.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Powered rails can now be found in minecart with chests inside of abandoned mineshafts.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||The textures of powered rails has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added powered rails.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The textures of powered rails has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added powered rails.|
- Powered rails were originally a suggestion for golden tracks.