Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|— Marsh Davies|
Polar bears are found in snowy tundra, snowy mountains and ice spikes biomes, in groups of up to four [up to two in Bedrock Edition]. If there is a group of two or more there is always only one parent, and the other one is a cub. They can also be found in frozen river, deep and regular frozen oceans. Polar bears spawn at light level 7 or higher.
When killed, an adult polar bear drops one of the following:
- 3⁄4 chance of dropping 0-2 raw cod. The maximum amount can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 with Looting III.
- 1⁄4 chance of dropping 0-2 raw salmon. The maximum amount can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 with Looting III.
Dropped fish is always raw, even if the polar bear is on fire when killed.
Polar bears can exist in a passive, neutral, or hostile state. The cubs are passive; adults are neutral. They become hostile towards the player if they get too close to their cubs (this does not seem to happen as fast on easy difficulty).
If a cub is attacked, all adults within a 41×21×41 cuboid become hostile towards the attacker, regardless of difficulty (although in peaceful difficulty, their attacks do zero damage to players). Attacking an adult who is within a 16×8×16 cuboid of a cub also provokes other adults within a 21×21×21 cuboid of the attacked adult.[Java Edition only] Polar bears can be accidentally provoked by other mobs.
Polar bears also attack foxes.
- In Java Edition, adult polar bears attack any fox that stays near it for a while, hitting it once (similar to how non-aggressive pandas and llamas attack a mob or player once, every time they are struck) every few seconds. Cubs, however, are far more aggressive and constantly attack foxes within 16 blocks.
- In Bedrock Edition, adult polar bears continuously attack foxes within 16 blocks (similar to cubs in Java Edition). Cubs do not attack foxes.
Polar bears attack by rearing on their back legs and then mauling down on the victim with their front paws. Their swimming speed is equal to the player's, making them difficult to get away from if they are attacking in water.
Polar bears cannot breed, also polar bear cubs' growth cannot be sped up.
Polar bears have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|March 7, 2016||Jeb hints at a neutral mob with a light gray "base texture" color.|
|April 8, 2016||Jeb tweets a picture of the polar bears.|
|1.10||16w20a||Added polar bears.|
|pre1||Adult polar bears now jump in water, if on fire.|
|pre2||Now have sounds: |
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID is changed from |
|1.13||18w19a||Polar bears can now spawn on top of ice.|
|1.14||19w07a||Polar Bears now attack foxes.|
|19w14a||Polar Bears no longer count as mobs necessary to earning the Monster Hunter / Monsters Hunted advancements.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added polar bears.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||The entity ID is changed from |
|Polar bears no longer hurt players in Peaceful difficulty.|
|1.4.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Polar bears can now spawn on top of ice.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.13.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Adult polar bears now attack foxes.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||Added polar bears.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added Polar Bears.|
- According to Jeb, polar bears were added after his son, Björn, was born. Coincidentally, "björn" is Swedish for "bear".
- Unlike most other baby mobs, polar bear cubs have a unique sound effect that is not just a sped-up version of the regular polar bear sound effects; this is also reflected in subtitles.
Development teaser screenshot by Jeb.