|— Marsh Davies|
Polar bears are found in snowy tundra, snowy mountains and ice spikes biomes, in groups of up to four [up to two in Bedrock Edition]. If there is a group of two or more there is always only one parent, and the others are cubs. They can also be found in frozen river, deep and regular frozen oceans. Polar bears spawn at light level 7 or higher.
When killed, an adult polar bear drops one of the following:
- 3⁄4 chance of dropping 0-2 raw cod. The maximum amount can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 with Looting III.
- 1⁄4 chance of dropping 0-2 raw salmon. The maximum amount can be increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 with Looting III.
Dropped fish is always raw, even if the polar bear is on fire when killed.
|This page would benefit from the addition of isometric renders.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable isometric renders to the article.
The specific instructions are: Animated render of polar bear attacking
Polar bears can exist in a passive, neutral, or hostile state. The cubs are passive; adults are neutral. They become hostile towards the player if they get too close to their cubs (this does not seem to happen as fast on easy difficulty).
If a cub is attacked, all adults within a 41×21×41 cuboid become hostile towards the attacker, regardless of difficulty (although in peaceful difficulty, their attacks do zero damage to players). Attacking an adult who is within a 16×8×16 cuboid of a cub also provokes other adults within a 21×21×21 cuboid of the attacked adult.[Java Edition only] Polar bears can be accidentally provoked by other mobs.
Polar bears also attack foxes.
- In Java Edition, adult polar bears attack any fox that stays near it for a while, hitting it once (similar to how non-aggressive pandas and llamas attack a mob or player once, every time they are struck) every few seconds. Cubs, however, are far more aggressive and constantly attack foxes within 16 blocks.
- In Bedrock Edition, adult polar bears continuously attack foxes within 16 blocks (similar to cubs in Java Edition). Cubs do not attack foxes.
Polar bears attack by rearing on their back legs and then mauling down on the victim with their front paws. Their swimming speed is equal to the player's, making them difficult to get away from if they are attacking in water.
Polar bears cannot breed, also polar bear cubs' growth cannot be sped up.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
|Polar Bear groans||
|File:Baby polar bear idle1.ogg||Polar Bear hums||
|Polar Bear dies||
|Polar Bear hurts||
||(Presumably its step sound)||?||?||?||16|
|Polar Bear roars||
||?||3 = 0.9; 1, 2, 3 = ?||?||16|
Polar bears have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|March 7, 2016||Jeb hints at a neutral mob with a light gray "base texture" color.|
|April 8, 2016||Jeb tweets a picture of the polar bears.|
|1.10||16w20a||Added polar bears.|
|pre1||Adult polar bears now jump in water, if on fire.|
|pre2||Polar bears now have sounds: |
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|1.13||18w19a||Polar bears can now spawn on top of ice.|
|1.14||19w07a||Polar bears now attack foxes.|
|19w14a||Polar bears no longer count as mobs that are necessary to earning the Monster Hunter / Monsters Hunted advancements.|
|18w43a||The textures of polar bears and baby polar bears have now been changed.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added polar bears.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|Polar bears no longer hurt players in Peaceful difficulty.|
|1.4.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Polar bears can now spawn on top of ice.|
|1.10.0||beta 18.104.22.168||The textures of polar bears and baby polar bears have now been changed.|
|1.13.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Adult polar bears now attack foxes.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||Added polar bears.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The textures of polar bears and baby polar bears have now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added polar bears.|
- According to Jeb, polar bears were added after his son, Björn, was born. Coincidentally, "björn" is Swedish for "bear".
- Unlike most other baby mobs, polar bear cubs have a unique sound effect that is not just a sped-up version of the regular polar bear sound effects; this is also reflected in subtitles.
Development teaser screenshot by Jeb.