Pocket Edition v0.8.0 alpha
December 12, 2013
v0.8.0 alpha was a major update to Minecraft: Pocket Edition that was released on December 12, 2013. It added new blocks, items, crops, and other features, as well as some changes and fixes.
- Birch and spruce wood planks, slabs and stairs
- Sideways pointing wood blocks
- Block of coal
- Cobblestone walls
- Hay bales
- Iron bars
- Jack o'lanterns
- Bark blocks
- Only obtained from using world editing.
- Powered rails (always powered)
- Creative only:
- Beetroot seeds
- Have a 1⁄15 chance of popping out from grass when hoed
- Pumpkin seeds
- Obtained from the nether reactor like melon seeds
- Redstone (cannot be placed as redstone dust yet.)
- Added far (256 blocks) and farthest (400 blocks) render distances
- Removed smooth lighting (now always on)
- Fancy graphics are now always by default on
- Default render distance is now far
- Update arrow sound
|Removed arrow sound||Track|
|Arrow Contact (pre-0.8)|
- Fire and lava now ignite TNT.
- Redstone ore now drops redstone dust when mined
- Remade painting rendering
- Eating particles are shown to look like the food being eaten rather than random pixels from the food.
- The textures of some blocks are randomly rotated, for a more natural effect
- Position on the block is now randomized
- Bone Meal
- New bow rendering & animated items
- Wooden tools can now be used as fuel.
- Lava buckets can now be placed in furnace to smelt items (100 items)
- Improved AI system (mobs swim over deep water, and hostile mobs are now more intelligent).
- Baby animals follow the adult animal of their species.
- Animals follow the player when holding wheat (cows and sheep), seeds (chickens) or potatoes/beetroot/carrots (pigs).
- Sheep have the color overlay of its wool around its face and when sheared (iOS only).
- Increased speed for spiders
- Version exclusive: New visual effect for burning mobs
- Thrown eggs now spawn baby chickens
- Improved signs and chests synchronization lag in multiplayer
- Sand and gravel now spawn resources when falling on torches, etc.
- 3D clouds with new tessellation algorithm
- Held items are now rendered in 3D, and bob up and down slightly when idle and sway to the side when turning.
- Lighter colored water, sky, and grass.
- Water fades to non-transparent in the distance (iOS only)
- Mipmaps (iOS only)
- Refactored most of the rendering to use indexed VBOs
- Remade arrow model
- Inventory is now rendered using cached VBOs
- New sky rendering using a triangle fan
- Separated far and near chunks in two queues for performance reasons
- Fog only on far chunks
- Transparency only on near chunks
- Alpha-test-only layers are hidden in far chunks
- Stencil Shadows
- Dynamic Java lighting on entities
- Ambient light tinting on entities
- Version exclusive: Light direction depends on sunlight direction on entities — affects shadows
- Mining speed in Creative mode increases at/near mining distance limit (8 blocks per second).
- New Creative inventory, with four item categories.
- Hotbar now saves on Creative worlds
- Items being moved to/from a chest is now correctly rendered.
- Transparent hotbar
- Tapping the
[...]now closes the inventory while open.
- Craftable recipes are shown first in the crafting screen.
- If there is 99+ of an item in the inventory, it now shows the actual quantity in the crafting table, rather than 99+.
- When selecting an item in the inventory, it replaces the one in the selected slot.
- Changed the flow of the inventory for the armor/crafting screens so that the back button goes back to the inventory.
- Moved gray wool to the right inventory slot.
- Ice is not transparent anymore in the hotbar
- Items that are not supposed to be in the game no longer have a red background in the hotbar or inventory.
- New app logo
- Brought most textures from Java Edition.
- New texture atlas and texture generator script
- 32 issues fixed
- From released versions before 0.8.0
- MCPE-40 – You can never run away from mobs
- MCPE-169 – Saplings aren't Fuel
- MCPE-728 – Wrong dark leaves texture
- MCPE-1068 – White line appear in pocket edition
- MCPE-1353 – Stonecutter, Quartz Block, Melon (Block) and Melon Seeds show wrong description
- MCPE-1772 – Player jumps too early by glass pane
- MCPE-2904 – Chicken egg bug
- MCPE-3358 – TNT does not work in creative
- MCPE-3890 – Different wood logs make the same wooden planks
- MCPE-4118 – Bad inventory GUI on Retina display
- MCPE-4231 – Automatic egg/ snowball throwing
- MCPE-4338 – Mobs draw distance greater than stone. Creates x-ray vision
- MCPE-4379 – Animals stay in water
- MCPE-4508 – Creative inventory
- MCPE-4821 – Shearing a sheep gives you less wool
- MCPE-4935 – Creative items glitching to different items
- MCPE-5294 – Wooden tools cannot be used as fuel
- MCPE-5408 – No bedrock in creative inventory
- MCPE-5495 – Bow bug
- MCPE-5572 – Shooting a bow, throwing eggs/snowballs, eating needs block proximity
- MCPE-5588 – TNT dissolving
- MCPE-5592 – Bow firing bug / annoyance
- MCPE-5600 – Bow and Arrow issue
- MCPE-5634 – Your own arrow can't hurt you
- MCPE-5671 – Bow problem in Creative Multiplayer
- MCPE-6201 – Can't pass Y:31 in Minecart
- From the 0.8.0 development versions
- MCPE-5811 – Suffocation doesn't show up properly
- MCPE-6015 – Minecart does not show anything but a weird shape
- MCPE-6065 – Minecarts going uphill
- MCPE-6096 – Cannot touch Minecarts in 3rd person
- MCPE-6157 – Upward Rail Glitch
- Text no longer cuts off on chat screen.