Height: 1.95 blocks
See § Drops
|— Per Landin|
In Java Edition, pillagers can spawn in illager patrols. Pillager patrols spawn a maximum of five pillagers (weight 55) or vindicators (weight 27) up to 200 blocks away from a village on grass or sand with a block light level of 0–8 and a sky light level of 10–15. Illager patrols spawn naturally throughout the day or night but after 5 in-game days.
In Bedrock Edition, pillagers can spawn in illager patrols. Illager patrols spawn 2–5 illagers; on easy and normal difficulties all illagers are pillagers, while on hard difficulty 80% will be pillagers and 20% will be vindicators. The illagers will spawn 24–48 blocks away from the player. On easy difficulty, they can only spawn at light level 0–7 while in normal and hard difficulties they can spawn in any light level after 5 in-game days.
Pillagers naturally spawn in and around pillager outposts.
Pillagers are able to spawn as part of raids, usually as the most common mob in one.
Pillagers are armed with crossbows and attack by shooting arrows at nearby players, iron golems, villagers[JE & PS4 only], or adult villagers[Bedrock Edition only], and wandering traders. They shoot an arrow every 3 seconds at 6 blocks away. This can lead to pillagers battling neutral/hostile mobs due to an arrow hitting the wrong target, though pillagers will never attack each other. Pillagers can ride ravagers. Pillagers will attempt to specifically target villagers in a raid while they will run away from the pillagers and will change targets if an entity hits them within their firing range. Pillagers will switch to melee attack when fully submerged underwater. Pillagers don't attack when they don't have any weapons.
Upon death, pillagers drop:
- 0–2 Arrows, dropping more with the presence of Looting, up to 5[Bedrock Edition only].
- Its crossbow (can be loaded or unloaded), which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped; this rate increases by 12% per level of Looting (20.5% with Looting I, 32.5% with Looting II and 44.5% with Looting III). It will have a random durability, and can be enchanted at level 5 – 19 whether or not it was enchanted when it spawned.
- 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- 1 Ominous banner, if the pillager is a raid captain. The raid captain will spawn with an ominous banner on its head and will always drop the banner when defeated.
In Bedrock Edition pillagers spawned by raids can drop:
- 0-1 Emerald
And one of the following additional drops depending on difficulty: (65% chance on easy and normal, 80% chance on hard)
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 or 25.6% chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 or 12.8% chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 or 5.1% chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 or 5.1% chance)
- 1 Iron Pickaxe (5⁄78 or 6.4%)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 or 6.4% chance)
- Iron equipment from raider drops has a 50% chance of being enchanted with random enchantment level 5-19.
- Iron equipment from raider drops will be badly damaged.
- These drops are also affected by the Looting enchantment.
- Emerald is both a regular raider drop and an additional raider drop.
If the player kills the pillager wearing a banner on their head, the player will receive the Bad Omen status effect. These pillagers are patrol/outpost captains. Patrols spawn a single captain along with other Illagers, while outposts can spawn up to 3 captains. Patrol/outpost captains will give the Bad Omen effect at level 1, whereas Illager captains in raids do not give Bad Omen. The effect lasts for 100 minutes (5 days in-game) and will stack to a maximum of level 6 (without using commands). The higher the Bad Omen effect is, the more additional waves will appear in a raid.[Java Edition only]
Pillagers have entity data associated with them that contains various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Who's the Pillager Now?||Give a Pillager a taste of their own medicine||Ol' Betsy||Kill a pillager with a crossbow.|
|March 27, 2017||Jeb replies to a Reddit post suggesting to add pillagers, saying that they were already planned to be added in the future.|
|September 29, 2018||Pillagers are announced at MINECON Earth 2018.|
|18w45a||Pillagers can now spawn naturally during illager patrols.|
|18w46a||The pillager's AI has now been improved.|
|Pillagers no longer drop emeralds.|
|18w47a||Pillagers now spawn as part of raids.|
|Pillagers now spawn around pillager outposts.|
|18w47b||Pillagers now spawn less often around pillager outposts.|
|Pillagers will no longer cross their arms when they don't have any held item.|
|19w09a||Pillagers can now use tipped arrows and fireworks in their offhand when shooting their crossbow.|
|19w13a||Pillagers can now open doors during raids.|
|If all villagers are killed during a raid, pillagers now laugh and wave their arms in the air.|
|19w14a||Pillagers no longer open doors during raids.|
|1.9.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added pillagers. Pillagers do not have sounds or animations.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Pillagers now have the crossbow animations and reloading sounds.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||The crossbow held in the Pillager's hand is now larger.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Pillagers now have their own sounds.|
|Pillagers are no longer only available through experimental gameplay.|
|Pillagers now spawn around pillager outposts.|
|1.11.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Pillagers now spawn as part of illager patrols and during raids.|
|Pillagers can now spawn as a raid captain.|
|Pillagers no longer attack baby villagers.|
|Pillagers can now ride ravager.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Pillagers in raids may now drop special items when killed.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||Added pillagers, which are only available in creative mode.|
A Pillager Outpost inside of a desert temple with pillagers inside and outside of the temple.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 18w43b § Pillager" – Minecraft.net, October 24, 2018