50 × 25
Height: 1.95 Blocks
A small amount of piglin brutes spawn in bastion remnants only upon generation and in some rooms, not having a baby variant.
A piglin brute spawns holding an unenchated golden axe, without armor and never equip armor from the ground.
- Sometimes a golden axe with a random item durability.
- 20 experience points are dropped upon death if killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Behaviors shared by both piglins and piglin brutes:
- Open wooden doors.
- Detect players through walls when they open containers such as chests or break gold-type blocks.
- Call nearby piglins and other piglin brutes once attacked, no matter whether the player wears golden armor or not.
- Are not naturally immune to fire or lava.
Behaviors specific to piglin brutes:
- Piglin brutes do not retreat from soul fire items nor from zoglins or zombified piglins.
- Piglin brutes do not hunt adult hoglins.
- Piglin brutes do not do a "victory dance."
- Piglin brutes pick up regular or enchanted golden axes only if they walk across it. Piglins do pick up golden axes, but the difference is piglin brutes ignore all other golden items, unlike piglins.
When in the Overworld or the End, piglin brutes transform into zombified piglins after 15 seconds. Upon transformation, the spawned zombified piglin has the Nausea effect for 10 seconds. This Nausea effect is purely cosmetic. When turned into a zombified piglin, they keep their axes.[JE only][upcoming: BE 1.16.100]
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Piglin Brute snorts||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Piglin Brute snorts angrily||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Piglin Brute dies||Hostile Creatures||?||0.8||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Piglin Brute hurts||Hostile Creatures||?||0.64||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Piglin Brute steps||Hostile Creatures||?||0.75||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Piglin Brute converts to Zombified Piglin||Hostile Creatures||?||1.0||0.9||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Piglin brutes have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs. Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 34 mobs. Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this advancement.|
|June 25, 2020||Piglin brutes are mentioned to come to Java Edition in a 1.16.x release.|
|1.16.2||20w27a||Added piglin brutes.|
|1.16.20||beta 184.108.40.206||Added piglin brutes.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||The axe that is wielded by piglin brutes may be enchanted now.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||The attack animation of unarmed piglin brutes has been changed.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.16.100||beta 22.214.171.124||Piglin brutes no longer spawn with enchanted axes.|
|Piglin brutes now drop 20 experience points.|
- Piglin Brutes were created late in 1.16's development, so they were pushed to a minor release as the developers did not want to add a new feature so close to release.
- The golden arm guard is meant to work as a "protection" and is the reason behind their high health.
- Piglin Brutes along with the Vindicator do the third-highest melee damage of all the non-boss mobs, first being the Giant at 75 × 37.5, second being the Iron golem at 32.25 × 16.125 (max damage) and fourth being the Ravager at 18 × 9 on hard difficulty.
- The Piglin Brutes have no pupils, unlike overworld pigs.
- Piglin Brutes drop the highest number of experience points out of any non-boss mob, along with the Ravager.
A preview of the piglin brute.
- – resolved as "Works as Intended"
- "Pretty much, yes." – @henrikkniberg, June 25, 2020
- "Their golden arm guard functions as a mini shield, now it won't block in animation, but that's the idea behind it🙏Hence why they have more health than normal piglins, they don't wear armor at all, they feel like it wears them down. These piggies are strong on their own" – @JasperBoerstra, June 25, 2020
- "Introducing the Piglin Brute. A stronger Piglin not distracted by gold, as they are devoted to protecting the treasures in the Bastions. They do not respect your golden armor, they see right through your disguise." – @JasperBoerstra, June 25, 2020