Java Edition 1.16
|Planned release date||
|Other editions of 1.16|
1.16, the first release of the Nether Update, is an upcoming major update to Java Edition, which will overhaul the Nether. This update was announced at MINECON Live 2019. The update will not include the announced features for the mountains biome.
- Acts the same as regular fire.
- Fire lit on soul sand blocks will be blue fire regardless of dimension.
- Generates naturally in the soulsand valley biome in the Nether.
- The blue fungi appears to look like little mushrooms.
- There's a very short grass-like fungus as well which is found in Netherwart Forest Blue.
- Generates in both netherwart forest biomes.
- Emits a redstone signal when shot with an arrow.
- Signal is stronger depending on how close the arrow is to the center of the block.
- At least two new types of mushroom will be added to the netherwart forests.
- One is teal with orange spots and the other is pinkish-red.
- A variation of the nether wart block.
- Generates in the blue netherwart forest.
- Veiny looking blocks that comprise trunks in the netherwart forest
- Red and blue variants
- In clips of the soulsand valley, blocks with a similar color scheme to soul sand can be seen, alongside conventional soul sand.
- These blocks can be seen with blue fire atop them, confirming their relationship to conventional soul sand.
- A light-emitting block which closely resembles glowstone can also be seen.
- Appears to correspond to the spots seen on new mushrooms, due to how it appears as part of large fungal structures in the netherwart forest.
- This unidentifiable block makes up speleothems.
- Spawn eggs
- At least one new spawn egg, implied to be that of the hoglin due to its appearance in the footage.
- An unnamed food item
- Will be dropped by Hoglins.
- Found in the Nether.
- Are naturally hostile towards the player, unless the player is wearing gold armor.
- They can wield gold swords or crossbows.
- Will drop arrows if wielding a crossbow.
- Will be able to barter with the player.
- Will attack wither skeletons and hoglins.
- Found in the Nether.
- Are naturally hostile towards the player.
- Appear to have a higher melee range than most mobs.
- Can be bred and used as a source of food in the Nether.
- Appear to drop raw beef, though this is likely a placeholder.
- Name has been chosen by the community to be "Hoglin" (previously known as "Piglin Beast" as a placeholder name)
- The Nether will get at least three new biomes:
- Fortifications built by piglins that are found in the Nether.
- Nether Trees
- Trees resembling the new mushrooms that generate in netherwart forests.
- Floor to ceiling speleothems that generate in soulsand valleys made out of a new block.
- Will be renamed to zombified piglins.
- Players will be able to respawn in the Nether.
- How is currently unknown.
- May get functionality. It was mentioned during the development of Village & Pillage that it would be added in "...the next major themed update..."
- The feature of pigs transforming to zombie pigmen when struck by lightning may be removed. However, a similar behavior may be implemented in a different way.
MINECON Live 2019
- "Everything We Announced at MINECON Live 2019" – Minecraft.net, September 28, 2019
- "Minecraft Snapshot 19w40a" – Minecraft.net, October 2, 2019
- "But mountains will come in a later update." – @MiaLem_n, September 28, 2019
- "Meet the Hoglin" – Minecraft.net, October 19, 2019
- "Minecraft Snapshot 19w11a" – Minecraft.net, March 12, 2019
- "Not in 1.15 and I can't promise anything for 1.16 either I'm afraid." – @MiaLem_n, September 30, 2019
- "We will likely remove that feature, because it will work differently" – @jeb_, September 29, 2019