Height: 0.9 Blocks
Jungle, Bamboo Jungle
Parrots come in five different colors: red, green, blue, cyan, and gray.
When a parrot is killed, it drops:
- 1-2 feathers. The maximum is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 1-5 with Looting III.
- 1-3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Parrots are passive. They can fly, and usually fly upwards if struck. They fly under normal conditions, but they can tire and return to the ground.
Parrots crowd and settle around other nearby mobs, including neutral and hostile mobs.
Parrots can be tamed by feeding them seeds with 1⁄3 chance of success. Once tamed, they can be told to sit with a right-click.
Like tamed wolves and cats, a tamed parrot follows the player unless told to sit, and may teleport if there is a sufficient distance between them and the player. Like all tame animals upon death, a death message is displayed to its owner.
Perching on shoulders
A tamed parrot on the ground can be made to perch on its player's shoulder by moving through the parrot. On its own, a tamed parrot can also fly to and perch on the player's shoulder. A parrot that has been told to sit does not attempt to perch. A player can have one parrot on each shoulder. Parrots always prefer a player's left shoulder first, if it is empty.
A parrot dismounts its player when the player:
- jumps down natural terrain, that is:
- the player does not land on a high-enough surface (1⁄2 block up or higher)
- the player drops off a ledge of higher than 3⁄4 of a block
- takes damage
- submerges the player's feet into water of any height
- starts drowning
- mounts a horse
- enters a boat
- submerges the player's head in lava (the parrot dismounts and burns even if the player has fire resistance)
Parrots always face the same direction as the player they are on.
A parrot on a shoulder cannot take any damage, but may get hurt as soon as it dismounts, as when dismounting a player submerged in lava.
A parrot sitting on a shoulder appears in the inventory interface.
Parrots imitate the idle sounds of nearby hostile and certain neutral mobs (including the hiss of creepers for example); they have a detection range of 20 blocks (cubical). The sound produced by the parrots is simply the same sound as the mob being mimicked at a higher pitch. They tend to look in the direction of the mob they are mimicking. Occasionally, a parrot may imitate sounds of mobs that are not in the area.
Parrots dance near a jukebox, even on a player's shoulder[BE only], if a music disc is inside the jukebox. This is a reference to the Party Parrot meme. The game does not seem to have any real way to determine when the music ends, though; as long as the disc remains in the jukebox, the parrot continues dancing even after the music stopped.
The dancing radius is 3 blocks from jukebox. If they dance and then fly beyond this radius, they stop dancing.
In Java and Legacy Console editions, attempting to feed a parrot a cookie instantly kills it, emitting poison particles as it dies. In Bedrock Edition, feeding a cookie to a parrot gives it fatal poison instead.
Parrots have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
When a parrot is resting on the player's shoulder, it ceases to be a distinct entity, and its entity data is stored meanwhile in the player's
ShoulderEntityRight tags. See also Player.dat.
- Entity data
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Best Friends Forever||Tame an animal||Husbandry||—|
|March 23, 2017||Maria Lemón tweets that her new mob, created with the help of RazzleberryFox, will be showcased in the next snapshot. "It's flytastic!"|
|Later the same day, she revealed that the new mob will be parrots.|
|March 26, 2017||Maria reveals that parrots will be able to copy the sounds of other mobs around it.|
|Later the same day, she tweets an image of Steve "the parrot king" carrying parrots on his shoulder.|
|March 28, 2017||Maria tweets another image of parrots, showcasing their ability to fly and slowly drift downwards.|
|March 30, 2017||Shortly before the snapshot was released, Maria revealed that parrots are attracted to cookies. This is a reference to the popular phrase "Polly wants a cracker". In real life, parrots should not be fed chocolate chip cookies, as chocolate is toxic to parrots.|
|17w13b||Added gray-yellow parrot.|
|17w14a||The right-click action has now been changed: right-clicking on a tamed parrot now tells it to sit.|
|Having a parrot sit on the player's shoulders now require the player to walk through the parrot.|
|Parrots now dance and change colors if music is playing on a nearby jukebox.|
|Parrots now make sounds when sitting on the player's shoulders.|
|17w15a||Parrots no longer change colors while dancing.|
|pre3||Parrots are now tamed with seeds, instead of cookies, after an outcry on Reddit.|
|Attempting to feed cookies to a parrot now instantly kills the parrot, causing it to emit poison particles. In an e-mail to Motherboard, Jens Bergensten explained: "Our reasoning for originally using cookies was twofold; it gave cookies a reason to exist within Minecraft, and it was a subtle reference to the Nirvana song 'Polly.' However, we didn't consider what the chocolate ingredient would mean to real life parrots!"|
|1.13||18w19a||Parrots now imitate phantoms and drowned.|
|1.14||Parrots can now imitate ravagers, pillagers and pandas.|
|1.14.2||Pre-Release 1||Parrots no longer spawn on grass, but on grass blocks instead.|
|1.2.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added parrots.|
|1.4.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Parrot can now imitate drowned sounds.|
|1.6.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Parrot can now imitate phantom sounds.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Added parrots.|
- Red parrots are based on real-life Scarlet macaw, "with a little Minecraft twist.".
- Gray parrots appear to be based on real-life cockatiels.
- Warnings against feeding chocolate or avocados to parrots are referenced in two different splash texts.
- The Minecraft team uses various party parrot emojis when communicating with each other.
The first image of parrots, tweeted by Maria Lemón.
Parrots riding on the shoulders of the player.
Note how the parrots crowd around the villager in a tight circle.
A parrot dancing to jukebox music.
Parrots as shown in the World of Color Update artwork.
|Parrots on other default skins|
- "Yes they fly, as high as they want to. :) But they do get tired and prefer to have somewhere to land." – @MiaLem_n, March 29, 2017
- https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-115509 resolved as "Works as Intended"
- "It took you no time at all to find the party parrot easter egg! But there is one more you haven't found..." – @MiaLem_n, April 5, 2017
- "Let me present the newest member of the Minecraft world! The parrot! Model by @RazzleberryFox" – @MiaLem_n, March 23, 2017
- "Steve is the parrot king!" – @MiaLem_n, March 26, 2017
- “+Michael sheehan it's just a reference to "Polly wants a cracker".” – slicedlime, March 31, 2017
- "Macaws with a little Minecraft twist." – @MiaLem_n, March 23, 2017
- "Really. We have over 20 different party parrot emojis. :D" – HelenAngel, April 5, 2017