Height: 0.9 Blocks
Parrots spawn naturally in Jungle biomes, on grass or leaves. They can be found in groups of 1-2 at light level 7 or above and are somewhat rare.
Parrots come in five different colors: red, green, blue, cyan and gray.
When killed, parrots will drop 1 or 2 feathers.
Parrots crowd and settle around other nearby mobs, including neutral and hostile mobs.
Parrots can be tamed by feeding them seeds. Once tamed, they can be told to sit with a right-click.
Like tamed wolves and cats, a tamed parrot will follow the player unless told to sit, and may teleport if there is a sufficient distance. Like all tame animals, a death message will be displayed to their owner if they are killed. However in Legacy Console Edition there is no death message.
Perching on shoulders
A tamed parrot on the ground will perch on its player's shoulder, if the player moves through the parrot. A tamed parrot also sometimes will independently fly to and perch on the player's shoulder. A parrot that has been told to sit will not attempt to perch. A player can have one parrot on each shoulder. Parrots always prefer a player's left shoulder first, if it is empty.
A parrot will dismount if its player jumps and does not land on a high-enough surface (1⁄2 block up or higher), or if its player drops off a ledge of higher than 3⁄4 of a block, takes damage, or if its player's lower half enters water of any height. This means, a parrot can ride a player's shoulder as the player jumps up blocks of natural terrain, but not down natural terrain. If the player's head is submerged in floating water, parrots will dismount as soon as said player starts drowning.
A parrot on a shoulder cannot take any damage, but may get hurt as soon as they dismount. If a player's head is submerged in floating lava, the parrot will dismount and burn even if the player takes no damage due to fire resistance.
Parrots sitting on shoulders will also display in the inventory interface.
Parrots imitate the idle sounds of nearby hostile and certain neutral mobs (including the hiss of creepers for example); they have a detection range of 20 blocks (cubical). The sound produced by the parrots is simply the same sound as the mob being mimicked at a higher pitch. They tend to look in the direction of the mob they are mimicking. Occasionally, a parrot may imitate sounds of mobs that are not in the area.
Parrots dance near a jukebox, even on a player's shoulder[Bedrock Edition only], if a music disc is inside the jukebox. This is a reference to the Party Parrot meme. The game does not seem to have any real way to determine when the music ends, though; as long as the disc remains in the jukebox, the parrot will keep dancing even after the music stopped.
Dancing radius is 3 blocks from jukebox, if they dance and then fly over this radius, they will stop dancing.
Parrots have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
When a parrot is resting on the player's shoulder, it ceases to be a distinct entity, and its entity data is stored meanwhile in the player's
ShoulderEntityRight tags. See also Player.dat.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Additional fields for mobs that can be tamed by players see Template:Nbt inherit/tameable/template
- Variant: Specifies which color variant the parrot is. 0 = red, 1 = blue, 2 = green, 3 = cyan, 4 = gray.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Best Friends Forever||Tame an animal||Husbandry||Tame one of the 5 types of mob that are tamable.[until JE 1.14]|
Tame one of the 5 types of mob that are tamable.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
|1.12||March 23, 2017||Maria Lemón tweets that her new mob, created with the help of RazzleberryFox, will be showcased in the next snapshot. "It's flytastic!"|
|Later the same day, she revealed that the new mob will be parrots.|
|March 26, 2017||Maria reveals that parrots will be able to copy the sounds of other mobs around it.|
|Later the same day, she tweets an image of Steve "the parrot king" carrying parrots on his shoulder.|
|March 28, 2017||Maria tweets another image of parrots, showcasing their ability to fly and slowly drift downwards.|
|March 30, 2017||Shortly before the snapshot was released, Maria revealed that parrots are attracted to cookies. This is a reference to the popular phrase "Polly wants a cracker". In real life, parrots should not be fed chocolate chip cookies, as chocolate is toxic to parrots.|
|17w13b||Added gray-yellow parrot.|
|17w14a||The the right-click action has now been changed: right-clicking on a tamed parrot will now tell it to sit down.|
|Having a parrot sit on the player's shoulders will now require the player to walk through the parrot.|
|Parrots will now dance and change colors if music is playing on a nearby jukebox.|
|Parrots will now make sounds when sitting on the player's shoulders.|
|17w15a||Parrots will now no longer change colors while dancing.|
|pre3||Parrots are now tamed with seeds, instead of cookies, after an outcry on Reddit.|
|Attempting to feed cookies to a parrot will now instantly kill the parrot, causing it to emit poison particles. In an e-mail to Motherboard, Jens Bergensten explained: "Our reasoning for originally using cookies was twofold; it gave cookies a reason to exist within Minecraft, and it was a subtle reference to the Nirvana song 'Polly.' However, we didn't consider what the chocolate ingredient would mean to real life parrots!"|
|1.13||18w19a||Parrots will now imitate phantoms and drowned.|
|1.2||beta 220.127.116.11||Added parrots.|
|1.4||beta 18.104.22.168||Parrot can imitate Drowned sound.|
|1.6||beta 22.214.171.124||Parrot can imitate Phantom sound.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||Patch s4||Added parrots.|
- Parrots are based on real-life macaws, "with a little Minecraft twist." Gray parrots in particular are based on real-life cockatiels, a popular pet.
- Warnings against feeding chocolate or avocados to parrots are referenced in two different splash texts.
- The Minecraft team uses various party parrot emojis when communicating with each other.
Parrots riding on the shoulders of the player.
Note how the parrots crowd around the villager in a tight circle.
Parrots also crowd around hostile mobs, such as creepers.
A parrot dancing to jukebox music.
- “Yes they fly, as high as they want to. :) But they do get tired and prefer to have somewhere to land.” – @MiaLem_n, March 29, 2017
- https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-115509 resolved as "Works as Intended"
- “It took you no time at all to find the party parrot easter egg! But there is one more you haven't found...” – @MiaLem_n, April 5, 2017
- “Let me present the newest member of the Minecraft world! The parrot! Model by @RazzleberryFox” – @MiaLem_n, March 23, 2017
- “Steve is the parrot king!” – @MiaLem_n, March 26, 2017
- “+Michael sheehan it's just a reference to "Polly wants a cracker".” – slicedlime, March 31, 2017
- “Macaws with a little Minecraft twist.” – @MiaLem_n, March 23, 2017
- “Really. We have over 20 different party parrot emojis. :D” – HelenAngel, April 5, 2017