Killing Adult: 1–3
Pandas spawn in groups of 1–2 in bamboo jungle biomes at the surface on grass blocks with a (minimum) two block space above them at a light level of 9 or more, but are rarer than other jungle mobs. They spawn with a randomized personality, with the normal one being the most common and the brown variant being the rarest.
In Bedrock Edition pandas can spawn at light level 7 or above in jungle biomes and have a higher spawn rate in bamboo jungle biomes. 5% of pandas will spawn as babies.
Pandas act similarly to other passive mobs; they will wander aimlessly, avoiding falling off cliffs high enough to cause fall damage, and will stay out of water or lava, unless they roll over an edge. They also move faster in water than other land mobs, similarly to polar bears. They will follow any player who is carrying bamboo and will stop following them if the player moves over approximately 16 blocks away from them. They will also randomly whimper. Adult pandas will seek out bamboo and cake items and eat them.
Baby pandas will sometimes sneeze, which rarely drops a slime ball and makes nearby adult pandas jump. They will also occasionally roll over and jump around.
Pandas will attack players when hurt. When hit, panda will panic for few seconds before trying to attack the attacker but only once, similar to llamas.
Pandas have different personalities: either lazy, worried, playful, aggressive, weak, brown or normal.
- Normal pandas:
- Do not have unique personality actions.
- Lazy pandas:
- Will lay on their backs.
- Are slower than normal pandas, making them the slowest land mob in the game.
- Will not follow a player who is holding bamboo while they're lying on their back.
- Worried pandas:
- Playful pandas:
- Will roll over and jump around even as adults.
- Aggressive pandas:
- Unlike other pandas, when hit aggressive pandas will attack the player and other mobs continuously until the target dies or is out of detection. It also doesn't panic when harmed.
- When nearby pandas are attacked, aggressive pandas will become hostile towards the attacker.
- Are very slow, but have reach rivaling that of the player.
- Weak pandas:
- Tend to sneeze more often as babies than regular baby pandas.
- Have 10 health instead of 20.
- Brown pandas:
- Do not have unique personality actions but are brown and white instead of the usual black and white.
The panda is the only animal to have extra breeding conditions. In order to enter love mode, there must be at least eight bamboo blocks within a five-block radius of both pandas. Once that requirement is met, the player can feed them bamboo and they will mate, producing a baby panda. If a panda is fed without a sufficient amount of bamboo nearby, it will sit down and eat the bamboo but not enter love mode.
Each panda has two hidden values called "genes" or "alleles"; similar to biology, there is a main gene and a hidden gene. Normal, aggressive, lazy, worried, and playful personalities are dominant traits, and weak and brown personalities are recessive traits. A dominant trait will always take priority over a recessive trait. If both the main and hidden genes are dominant, the main gene has priority and will present itself as the panda's personality. Being recessive, weak and brown personalities will only occur if both the main and hidden genes of a panda are recessive genes. However, if the main gene is recessive and the hidden gene is not the same gene, then the personality of the panda will be normal. To get a brown or weak panda, both the main and hidden gene must be both brown or weak.
When two pandas breed, each one passes one of their genes to their children, who then randomly mix both obtained genes as their respective main and hidden gene. There is also a 1⁄32 chance for each gene of the baby to mutate into another gene. Mutations have different probabilities to mutate into the different genes, these probabilities can be found in the table underneath. These mutation probabilities also apply to spawned (not bred) pandas for their main and hidden genes.
|Panda Personality||Hidden Gene|
The appearance of pandas depends on their personality:
- Aggressive pandas have angry eyebrows.
- Lazy pandas have a smiling face.
- Weak pandas have teary eyes and snotty noses.
- Worried pandas have 'puppy' eyes similar to tamed wolves.
- Playful pandas have their tongues out.
- Normal pandas have a frowning face.
Pandas are usually black and white, but there is a rare brown and white variant.
Upon death, adult pandas will drop:
- 1 bamboo[Java Edition only]
- 0-2 bamboo which is affected by Looting by 1 per level.[Bedrock Edition only]
- 1–3 experience orbs, if killed by a tamed wolf or the player.
Baby pandas have a chance of dropping 1 slimeball when they sneeze.
Pandas have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed see Template:Nbt inherit/breedable/template
- MainGene: The primary gene this panda has, that can transfer to the child.
- HiddenGene: The secondary gene this panda has, that can transfer to the child.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Zoologist||Breed two Pandas with bamboo.||No||PS4||Yes||No||40G||Gold|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||—|
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed pairs of each of these 14 mobs. Other tamable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.|
|April 9, 2012||Dinnerbone states that he wants to add pandas into the game once he is "used to skinning and animating things".|
|December 18, 2013||Dinnerbone again states that he wants to add pandas into the game.|
|September 26, 2018||Pandas win a community vote to be the next mob added to Minecraft China.|
|September 29, 2018||Pandas are announced at MINECON Earth 2018.|
|19w08a||Pandas can no longer have armor equipped onto them with a dispenser.|
|Naturally spawned pandas now have a 5% chance of being a baby.|
|1.8.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added pandas.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Added sounds for pandas.|
|Pandas can now directly be given bamboo to breed them.|
|Aggressive pandas will now deal more damage.|
|Pandas will now sit and snack, even if they're scared or angry at the player.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||The aggressive panda texture has now been changed from to .|
|All default pandas will now bite once when attacked.|
|Aggressive pandas will now defend other pandas.|
|Pandas will now broadcast their anger to aggressive pandas.|
|Aggressive pandas will now have more attack damage when killing nearby players.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Pandas will now more quickly return to their normal behavior after following a player holding bamboo.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
- To create the in-game sounds for pandas, Mojang's lead sound designer, Samuel Åberg, went to Guangzhou, China, to record real-life pandas.
- The baby panda's sneeze is likely a reference to a moderately popular video of a real baby panda sneezing while its parent eats.
- Brown pandas are a real subspecies of the giant panda, known as the Qinling panda.
- Pandas are the second type of bear to be added into the game, with the first being the polar bear.
- The lazy panda is the slowest land mob in the game (not counting status effects such as slowness).
- The rarest mob in Bedrock Edition is a baby husk riding a brown panda, which has a 2.88×10−13 chance (one in 3.472 trillion) of spawning.
The first image of pandas, from MINECON Earth 2018.
A group of pandas eating bamboo shown at MINECON Earth 2018.
A worried panda, covering its eyes during a thunderstorm.
- "Recording Panda sounds for Minecraft!" – October 9, 2018 – via YouTube