PlayStation Vita Edition
|This page describes content that is no longer in the game.|
This edition is no longer updated.
Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (also known as Minecraft: PS Vita Edition) was the edition of Minecraft for the handheld console PlayStation Vita in development by 4J Studios for and alongside Mojang. A hidden teaser was hinted by 4J Studios on Twitter in April 2014 where you could see a PlayStation Vita displaying Minecraft in the background of the main focus of the image, and a screenshot published a month later along with them confirming the edition was being developed. Following the announcement, Jens Bergensten (Jeb) also added that it was based on PlayStation 3 Edition.
PlayStation 3 Edition also has some level of connectivity with PlayStation Vita Edition; the game at the PlayStation Store incorporates the so-called Cross-Buy feature, which makes you get one of the two editions for free when purchasing either one of them. Saved worlds are also transferable between the consoles.
PlayStation Vita Edition also uses ad hoc networking for "on the go" and online multiplayer, but instead of 8 players in one game, it supports up to 4 players.
PlayStation Vita Edition became available for purchase on the PlayStation Network on October 14 in North America and on October 15 in Europe. It had a retail release in stores on November 11 (North America), November 19 (Europe) and November 21 (United Kingdom and Ireland).
PlayStation Vita Edition's final feature update is the Update Aquatic.
Cross compatibility with PS3
Through Sony's "Cross Buy" initiative, owners of PlayStation 3 Edition are able to download PlayStation Vita Edition at no additional cost. Since the PS Vita Edition is based on the PS3 Edition, saves on PS3 Edition are compatible with PS Vita Edition and vice versa.
This does not apply to PlayStation 4 Edition. It is possible to do a one-way save transfer from PS3 to PS4. However, since February 25, 2016, there is no longer a discount on PS4 Edition for owners of PS3 Edition.
- As production of PlayStation Vita cartridges are being discontinued as of March 31, 2019, the only way to purchase the PlayStation Vita Edition going forward is to buy the game digitally through the PlayStation Vita Store.
- 4J Studios, "Happy to confirm we're developing Minecraft PS3, PS4 & PS Vita Editions for Mojang, as well as Xbox 360 & Xbox One Editions!", Twitter, 2013-08-21.
- 4J Studios, "Perfect Dark XBLA is on sale at 70% off just now! Perfect reason to finally open this ;)", Twitter, 2014-04-11.
- 4J Studios, "We're working on it! Here's a screenshot." Twitter, 2014-05-12.
- Jeb, "MC:Vita screenshot! (It's based on the PS3 Edition)". Twitter, 2014-05-12.
- Sony is shutting down production of physical Vita games, Polygon, May 18, 2019