PlayStation 4 Edition
Digital – PSN
|This page describes an edition of the game that has been officially discontinued.|
This edition is no longer updated or available for download and has been replaced with Bedrock Edition.
Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition was announced at Sony Interactive Entertainment's exhibit at Gamescom 2013. Like almost all other games that are released on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Edition can be played on the PlayStation Vita through Remote Play. It was released on September 4, 2014.
When Bedrock Edition was released on December 10, 2019, PlayStation 4 Edition was made unavailable for digital purchase on the PlayStation Store, but DLC is still available. Buying a retail version of the game is still possible. Bedrock Edition is an update for all owners of PlayStation 4 Edition. PlayStation 4 Edition is a separate game from Bedrock Edition and is still playable for anyone who owns it by selecting the "Editions" button on the title screen of Bedrock Edition. DLC for PlayStation 4 Edition can still be purchased, and most of it will carry over to Bedrock Edition. When selecting a world in Bedrock Edition, any world from PlayStation 4 Edition can be imported.
Compared to PlayStation 3 Edition, PlayStation 4 Edition included larger world sizes up to 5120×5120 blocks (36 times larger), 18 chunk render distance, amplified worlds, and enhancements offered by the PlayStation 4. PlayStation 4 Edition still has all of the Legacy Console Edition exclusive features, with the most notable being the built-in mini games. Because of licensing restrictions, some of PlayStation 4 Edition DLC is unavailable in Bedrock Edition, and some of it is not on the Marketplace and can only be obtained if it was bought for PlayStation 4 Edition.
For PlayStation 3 Edition players who wish to transfer worlds, it is preferable to buy PlayStation 4 Edition instead of buying the new Bedrock Edition. With no current method of transferring worlds directly from PlayStation 3 Edition to Bedrock Edition for PlayStation 4, the only way is to import the PlayStation 3 world into PlayStation 4 Edition and then import it into Bedrock Edition. But as of April 15, 2020, PlayStation 3 Edition and PlayStation Vita Edition worlds are no longer transferable to PlayStation 4 Edition. 
The game is similar to PlayStation 3 Edition, but supports the enhancements offered by the PlayStation 4 (increased view distance, Small, Medium and Large worlds and DualShock 4 touchpad support). Worlds made on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita editions could also be transferred onto this edition, before April 15, 2020. This allowed players to expand the world size of a classic sized world (one map).
- 4J Studios, "Happy to confirm we're developing Minecraft PS3, PS4 & PS Vita Editions for Mojang, as well as Xbox 360 & Xbox One Editions!", Twitter, 2013-08-21.
- "Minecraft was just announced for Playstation 3 & 4!…"" – @Dinnerbone, August 20, 2013
- "Bedrock is coming to PS4" – Minecraft.net, December 9, 2019
- "Now that the Bedrock version of Minecraft is out on PS4, there are no more feature updates planned for Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition. To experience new Minecraft features you'll need to buzz over to the new version, which you'll get for FREE if you own Console Edition on PS4!" – @4JStudios, December 10, 2019
- "Enjoy saving your PlayStation game? | Minecraft" Sofia Dankis, April 4, 2020