PC Gamer Minecraft Demo
The PC Gamer Minecraft Demo is a demo version of Java Edition Beta 1.3, that was bundled with the June 2011 issue of PC Gamer magazine (American edition, issue 214). It provides 100 minutes (equal to five days in-game) of gameplay, after which it will tell the player to buy the game in order to continue playing on the current map.
The demo gives access to all the features found in the full version of the game, except that you can only access one world called the demo world. The demo world, which uses the seed 108181935, has been altered slightly to help guide newcomers to Minecraft. The demo spawns the player at: x: 166 y: 65 z: -56.
The player's save game is saved in the standard game directory and is fully compatible with the full version, making it playable after purchase. The demo and information can be downloaded here.
The demo contains an exclusive cow skin branded with the PC Gamer logo.
Note that some of these bugs will not work if the demo is "hacked" into the new launcher.
- If the player is at or above layer (value of y coordinate) 89 at time of demo expiration, with the world the player can continue to interact.
- If the player's game window is at its smallest size at time of playing, upon enlargement of said window, all blocks will become transparent until the mouse is moved or with the the keyboard the player interacts. This reveals all underground caverns and caves, thus revealing where ores and other valued blocks can be found without the need to dig.
- If you open two windows of the demo, one of them playing the world, but paused, and the other one, on the home menu, reset the demo world and then click back to game on the other window, an error message will occur, and if you play the demo, the time will be reset, but not the world, and your inventory items are lost, but not the items in the block entities.
- Purchased versions of Minecraft have code from the demo, which wasn't used until Minecraft 1.3.
- PC Gamer changed the following to the world: 53 red wool, 90 snow blocks, 112 black wool, 3 chests, a sign, 22 gunpowder, a nearly broken iron pickaxe, a nearly broken iron axe, a nearly broken flint and steel, 4 coal, 5 bread, 4 string, 12 torches, 2 sticks, and 3 compasses.
- The demo has files for functions added in later updates, such as the sound effects for wolves, weather and pistons. However, the files are not used in the game.
- If you dig directly underneath the sign telling you how to open the chest, you can find a chest that contains 22 gunpowder. This serves as a attempt for the user to show what the player had learned.
- If you go to sleep in a bed and skip the night, it will remove that time from your clock, decreasing your play time.
- If you have a bucket with you after the demo expires, you can use that bucket to milk a cow despite not being able to interact with anything else.
- You can also interact with boats after the demo expires.
- If a player goes left when they reach the PC Gamer sign, they will find a skeleton dungeon. The dungeon is located in a rectangular pit with cobblestone walls and fallen sand filling it. One chest is visible, blocking a stream of water and the other chest and the skeleton spawner are buried in the sand.
- While mining, if you press E then keep mining you will keep mining but your pickaxe will not move until you stop mining.
- The "PC Gamer" logo can be mined. It is composed of snow blocks, red wool and black wool.
- If you dig straight down at the spawn point, at bedrock level, there is 1 diamond ore.
- The game files can be modified in such a way so you can get unlimited play time.
- There is no Debug screen in the demo. The reason is most likely that new players might get confused with all the info stored in the screen.
- The second hint message has the old Minecraft Wiki link, at http://www.minecraftwiki.net.
The secret Gunpowder chest unveiled. If you break the chest, another chest filled with 22 gunpowder will be under it.
Unique cow skin found only in the demo
A map of the area around the spawn point in the demo world
Message when starting a new world that teaches you how to move