Bedrock Edition only
To create an Old world, simply select the "Old" type in the World Type dropdown of the world creation screen. Optionally, on low-end devices, toggle "Limited worlds" in the Video section of the options screen.
Old worlds consist of a finite map with an area of 256×256 blocks with 128 maximum block height.
Biomes which cannot be generated in this world type:
- dark forest and dark forest hills
- mushroom fields and mushroom field shore
- gravelly mountains and variants
- snowy mountains
However, as a result of their limited size, only a few biomes can be generated per world. Also, biomes that generate in here are shrunken 4× (16× area) to allow more biomes to generate. When creating an Old world, the player will always spawn in the middle of the world. If starter map is enabled, the map is in scale level 2/4 rather than of 3/4.
Structures which can generate in the Overworld in this world type are:
- Villages, only 4 variants of villages will generate, which are plains villages, savanna villages, snowy tundra villages, and desert villages, taiga villages, and snowy taiga village cannot be generated.
- Lakes can still generate normally, but lava lakes will not generate near bedrock. Also, lakes will not generate under Y=55.
- Other generated structures, such as mineshafts, ocean monuments, woodland mansions, strongholds, dungeons, desert pyramids, jungle pyramids, swamp huts igloos, underwater ruins, and shipwreck never generate, making resources very limited.
- Unlocking the last tier of cartographer villagers will cause the game to stop ticking.
- Obtaining an explorer map from commands will cause extreme glitching, which may cause a crash.
- Feeding a dolphin will cause it to try to swim outside the world border.
- Only double tallgrass and large ferns can generate. Due to normal grass and fern not generating, savannas are less grassy.
- Caves and ravines will not generate in this world type, making the underground area solid. Rarely, hollow areas will generate.
- With this world type, the Overworld will be the only dimension that will generate. Attempting to go to other dimensions will result in the portal not being activated.
- On very rare occasions, buried treasure can generate in Old world types.
Due to the structure limitation in this world type, many resources become unobtainable in survival, and some mobs cannot spawn naturally. Because of that, playing survival in this world type will be challenging, due to the structure limitation reducing resources and also affecting mob spawning.
Both Nether and End are also bordered with the size 256x128x256. The Nether still generates normally, but the 8:1 travel ratio is maintained, meaning that returning to the Overworld may cause the player to become stuck (due to the Overworld being only 256x128x256 in size). If a nether fortress is generated, it will most likely be cut down by the world border. Despite Nether Portals not being able to be activated, returning from the Nether to the Overworld will cause a newly activated Nether portal to generate in the overworld (this is due to nether portals not counting when placed with commands). The End in Old worlds only generates the central island without the outer islands. Sometimes the end fountain will not generate and the ender dragon sometimes gets stuck at the border. End gateway portals also don't work.
Converting to Infinite
To convert an Old world to an Infinite type, select the pencil icon next to the old world in the world selection screen, then select "Make Infinite!". This creates a new world with all of the saved data (inventory, terrain, structures, etc.) of the old world, sets the world type to Infinite, and keeps the world name; the old world is then renamed
After converting to Infinite, the terrain copied from the old world will have a terrain wall separating it from the added area, as infinite worlds generate larger biomes.
This act is impossible in Minecraft China.
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.1.0||Released along with the first official version of Pocket Edition. At the time, this was the only available world type.|
|Featured a basic terrain generation with 3 "biomes" (Forest, Taiga, and Desert).|
|0.1.3||Cacti now generate in deserts|
|0.9.0||Old is now an optional world type, with the addition of Infinite and Flat world types.|
|Changed terrain generation, adding new generated structures, biomes, and foliage colors.|
|0.11.0||Old worlds can now be converted into Infinite worlds.|
|0.16.0||build 1||Removed old worlds.|
|build 5||Re-added old worlds.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added the end dimension in old worlds, which is inaccessible without commands.|
|1.2.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Old worlds are no longer surrounded by invisible bedrock, and chunks near the border are glitched.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Due to villages being overhauled, village generation is now rarer.|