|Can generate in
Yes, while the Ender Dragon is respawning
If the End biome is used in the overworld, obsidian pillars will generate without bedrock and end crystals, only obsidian, with some of them containing iron bars. Obsidian pillars generate near coordinates 0,0. If the terrain is high enough, obsidian pillars can generate buried or inside caverns but will generate air blocks around and on top of it. If End biomes generate next to other biomes near 0,0 only some obsidian pillars will generate.
The following 10 pillars generate in a 43-block radius circle around the exit portal in a random order:
- A 3-block radius pillar ending at y=76 (total of 1596 blocks of obsidian);
- A 3-block radius pillar with iron bars ending at y=79 (total of 1659 blocks of obsidian);
- A 3-block radius pillar with iron bars ending at y=82 (total of 1722 blocks of obsidian);
- A 4-block radius pillar ending at y=85 (total of 3145 blocks of obsidian);
- A 4-block radius pillar ending at y=88 (total of 3256 blocks of obsidian);
- A 4-block radius pillar ending at y=91 (total of 3367 blocks of obsidian);
- A 5-block radius pillar ending at y=94 (total of 5358 blocks of obsidian);
- A 5-block radius pillar ending at y=97 (total of 5529 blocks of obsidian);
- A 5-block radius pillar ending at y=100 (total of 5700 blocks of obsidian);
- A 6-block radius pillar ending at y=103 (total of 9167 blocks of obsidian).
The bottom of all pillars are at Y level 0, which means that pillars are generated through the island.
The second and third shortest pillars include a cage comprised of 73 iron bars surrounding the end crystal, to protect it from projectiles.
Note: This video was made before 1.9. Since then, only ten obsidian pillars generate in a circular position with the shortest ones caged in iron bars.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||Added obsidian pillars along with the End.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6||Introduced end crystals and placed them on top of the pillars.|
|1.9||15w31a||The tallest obsidian pillars now have iron bars around their end crystal.|
|The pillars now generate in a circle around the exit portal.|
|There are now exactly 10 pillars, with tops at y=76, 79, 82, 85, 88, 91, 94, 97, 100, and 103.|
|16w07a||The pillars no longer generate with iron bars.|
|pre1||Some of the shorter pillars now generate with iron bars again.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added obsidian pillars.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU9||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added obsidian pillars.|