|Catches fire from lava||
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Obsidian also generates as part of ruined portals.
Obsidian occurs naturally where underwater springs flow onto lava, often at layer 10 or lower.
When a player enters the End, a platform of 25 obsidian blocks is generated for the player to spawn on. This platform can then be mined, and gets regenerated when an entity(needs java testing) enters the End. Obsidian pillars also regenerate when the ender dragon respawns.
|Obsidian||Bastion remnant||Generic chest||4–6||31.5%|
|Obsidian||Bastion remnant||Generic chest||4–6||31.5%|
Obsidian is useful for building explosion resistant structures, as along with anvils, it has a blast resistance of 1,200; the highest of all blocks obtainable in survival mode. Obsidian also cannot be pushed by pistons, and also cannot be destroyed by the ender dragon.
These qualities make obsidian an extremely effective defensive block, and it is commonly used in many bases in multiplayer servers as protection from griefers.
End crystals can be placed on top of obsidian, which can be useful in PvP combat, or just as decoration.
Obsidian can be used to create a nether portal frame, which can then be ignited using fire. The frame must be a vertical rectangle any size from 4×5 to 23×23. Note that the corners of the frame are not required.
Nether Star +
|Enchanting Table||Book +
|Ender Chest||Obsidian +
Eye of Ender
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|Breaking the block||?||0.8|
|Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|Mining the block||?||0.5|
|?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|Walking on the block||?||?|
|Placing the block||?||0.8|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Enchanter||Construct an Enchantment Table.||Pick up an enchantment table from a crafting table output.||20G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Ice Bucket Challenge||Obtain a block of obsidian||Hot Stuff||Have a block of obsidian in your inventory.|
|Enchanter||Enchant an item at an Enchanting Table||Diamonds!||—|
|Java Edition Classic|
|Obsidian is extremely tough to break and drops one cobblestone block when broken.|
|Java Edition Infdev|
|20100227||Obsidian can now be used to mark the positions of the cardinal directions. This creates two intersecting planes extending just above the surface of the solid material that surrounds them.|
|20100313||The two obsidian intersecting planes have been removed.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.2.0||preview||Introduced the nether portal, made using obsidian.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.8||Pre-release||Obsidian can now be mined with an iron pickaxe (has since been removed) or moved by endermen.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||The enchantment table has been introduced, which is crafted using obsidian.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6||Obsidian mining time has been decreased from 15 to 2.5 seconds.|
|?||Obsidian mining time has been increased from 2.5 to 9.4 seconds.|
|1.1||12w01a||Obsidian can now be found in village chests.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||The ender chest has been introduced, which is crafted using obsidian.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||The beacon block has now received a crafting recipe, which uses obsidian.|
|12w38a||The wither's blue wither skull projectile has been introduced, which produces a special explosion that can destroy obsidian.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Obsidian can now be destroyed with explosives by summoning a fireball with custom data.|
|1.8||14w25a||An infinite obsidian glitch (allowing conversion of redstone into obsidian) has been fixed during the implementation of the new block metadata format.|
|14w30a||Obsidian can now be found inside chests in nether fortresses.|
|1.9||15w31a||Obsidian now generates as part of the end cities.|
|15w43a||The obsidian yield from nether fortress chests has been slightly decreased.|
|1.11||16w39a||Obsidian now generates in woodland mansions.|
|July 18, 2017||Jeb tweets an image of an updated obsidian texture.|
|July 19, 2017||Jeb tweets an image of an updated obsidian texture.|
|July 11, 2018||Jasper Boerstra tweets an image of an updated obsidian texture.|
|?||This texture of obsidian was shown at some point (not in game).|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 49.|
|18w09a||Obsidian now generates in some underwater ruins.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of obsidian has been changed.|
|18w44a||The texture of obisidan has been changed, once again.|
|1.16||20w07a||Obsidian has a 1⁄109 (~0.92%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 1.|
|20w09a||Obsidian now has a 10⁄113 (~8.84%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 1–5.|
|20w16a||Obsidian now generates in bastion remnants chests.|
|Obsidian can now spawn as part of ruined portals or be found in its chests.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.5.0||Glowing obsidian has been added, which drops a block of regular obsidian when mined.|
|The newly added nether reactor structure generates a "spire" of obsidian when activated.|
|0.6.0||The "spires" generated by nether reactors are now made of netherrack, instead of obsidian.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Obsidian can now be found in villages within blacksmith chests.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Obsidian can now be used to form nether portals.|
|Obsidian is now used to craft enchantment tables.|
|0.13.0||build 2||Obsidian now requires 6.5 seconds to mine, rather than 3.|
|0.16.0||build 4||Obsidian is now used to craft beacons.|
|The wither's "blue wither skull" projectile has been introduced, which produces a special explosion that can destroy obsidian.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Obsidian is now used to craft ender chests and end crystals.|
|Obsidian now generates naturally in the End as obsidian platforms, obsidian pillars and some parts of end ships in end cities.|
|1.1.0||alpha 22.214.171.124||Obsidian now generates in woodland mansions.|
|1.4.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Obsidian now generates in some underwater ruins.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||The texture of obsidian has been changed.|
|Obsidian can now be found in village weaponsmith chests.|
|1.16.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Obsidian can now be obtained from bartering.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Obsidian now has a 10⁄106 (9.43%) chance of being offered by piglins when bartering, in a stack size of 1.|
|Obsidian now be found in bastion remnants chests.|
|Obsidian can now generate as part of ruined portals and can be found in its chests.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added obsidian.|
|1.90||The texture of obsidian has been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Obsidian is one of the hardest blocks to destroy in Minecraft. In reality, obsidian is glass-like in texture and quite fragile.
- In real life, obsidian is an extrusive igneous rock like andesite, meaning that they are both formed from lava that has cooled down.
- Destroying an obsidian block with a diamond pickaxe, while underwater, without standing on solid ground would take 3 minutes and 54 seconds (without the pickaxe, it takes 4 minutes and 10 seconds). Either way, the player runs out of air long before the block is mined (unless a potion of water breathing or a conduit effect is used).
- Destroying an obsidian block without a pickaxe, while underwater, without standing on solid ground, while under Mining Fatigue 3 from an Elder Guardian takes 50*5*5*5*370, or 2312500 seconds, or 26 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes, and 40 seconds. The derivation is from hardness times 5 (from not using a tool that can harvest the obsidian block) times 5 (from being underwater) times 5 (from not standing on solid ground) times 370 (from mining fatigue).
- It is sometimes thought that enough TNT can destroy obsidian. Although though its explosion resistance rating is finite, additional TNT or other explosives has no additional effect on an obsidian block. It would otherwise take 71.25 times the explosive power of TNT to destroy a block of obsidian. It is, however, possible to
/summonan explosion strong enough to destroy obsidian.
- Obsidian is a block that generates in all dimensions, other blocks include chest, bedrock, and air.
- Before the major texture update, Obsidian's texture did not change after it was introduced.
Obsidian as used to shield from explosions.
- "Block of the Week: Obsidian" by Alex Wiltshire. Minecraft.net, Jan 27, 2017
- Jasper Boerstra's tweet on the difficulties of giving Minecraft obsidian a proper texture