We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Nintendo Switch Edition
Digital - eShop
ESRB: Everyone 10+
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition is the edition of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios and Mojang AB for the Nintendo Switch. It was announced on January 13, 2017. It is available on the Nintendo eShop for $29.99, for a limited time between May 11, 2017 and the release of the Better Together Update, which was delayed to winter 2017 on Switch, past the September release of the update for other platforms. After that, this edition will be discontinued, but existing owners will still be able to access and play this edition, and will receive the new Nintendo Switch edition of Bedrock Engine Minecraft for free. Worlds and DLC from this edition will carry over to the new version.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Nintendo Switch Edition can be played in TV Mode, Handheld Mode, and Tabletop Mode. The in-game username corresponds with the username chosen from a Nintendo Account, which is changeable. The game is playable with a pair of Joy-Con, or a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Because of the Nintendo Switch's 720p screen, splitscreen is available even in Tabletop Mode. The render distance is 12 chunks in TV Mode and 7 chunks outside of TV Mode. Worlds from Wii U Edition can be transferred over a local network. Similarly to PlayStation Vita Edition, the network mode of the game can be switched between Online and Local - the latter enables multiplayer with nearby consoles running Nintendo Switch Edition.
DLC[edit | edit source]
The following DLC is included in Nintendo Switch Edition:
- Skin packs:
- Texture packs:
- Mash-up packs:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It had been announced that Nintendo Switch Edition would receive a physical release at a later date. Mojang has since stated that the edition would "not be available for new purchase" after the release of Bedrock Edition on Nintendo Switch, and there has been no further confirmation of a physical release before then.
- After it is removed from the Nintendo eShop, it won't even be available with digital code because you can't redeem codes for games that are no longer distributed. Unless there is a cartridge release during the delay of the Better Together Update, which has not been announced, there will no longer be any way to purchase it.
- It is also unclear whether the DLC will be removed from the Nintendo eShop along with the game, although DLC from the Xbox One Edition hasn't been removed
- The Legacy Console Edition DLC that is not on the Marketplace in Bedrock Edition is not available for Nintendo Switch Edition.
- Minigame-specific DLC is confirmed to be intentionally excluded for release on Nintendo Switch, although the Valley battle map is still included with the Chinese Mythology mash-up pack.
- Along with the other editions of Minecraft for Nintendo platforms, Nintendo Switch Edition is the most expensive edition of Minecraft, as it is only sold in a bundle with several add-on packs.
- The Nintendo eShop does not have a free demo for Minecraft, unlike the PlayStation and Xbox.
- Compared to Xbox One Edition and PlayStation 4 Edition, Nintendo Switch Edition has a lower render distance, and has neither the Large world size nor the Amplified Worlds option.
- At launch, the resolution in TV Mode was restricted to 720p because of technical difficulties with changing the resolution during gameplay. Patch 6 resolved this and increased the resolution to 1080p.
- The Wii U save transfer functionality was added in Patch 7. It is unknown what will happen to the transfer functionality after Nintendo Switch Edition stops getting updates and the Wii U continues to get them.
References[edit | edit source]