New Nintendo 3DS Edition
Nintendo eShop (Digitally)
ESRB: Everyone 10+
Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the version of Minecraft developed by Other Ocean Interactive and Mojang AB for the New Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 2DS XL but not the original Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS, or Nintendo 3DS XL. It was released for the Nintendo eShop simultaneously in North America and Japan on September 13, 2017, hours after its announcement during a Nintendo Direct. The game was finally released worldwide on September 20, 2018, 1 Year and 7 days after the NTSC release.
Although the initial release was a fork of Pocket Edition Alpha 0.15.4, it has several additions, tweaks, and missing features compared to that version, and is being developed specifically for the New Nintendo 3DS separately from Bedrock Edition. It has no relation to Legacy Console Edition.
As of now, the game is somewhat similar to Pocket Edition 1.0.9, because of the addition of The End and the polar bear. The New Nintendo 3DS Edition runs at 60 FPS (frames per second) in standard worlds, and the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack world runs at 30 FPS, with an increase in draw distance.
The New Nintendo 3DS Edition has the following differences from other editions:
- Support for stereoscopic 3D on New 3DS systems is planned for a future update.
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition lacks online multiplayer. Local ad-hoc multiplayer was added in update 1.4.
- World types are Default and Flat. World sizes are Small (672×672), Medium (1344×1344), and Large (2016×2016). The size of a world cannot be changed once it is created. The ratio of The Nether to The Overworld is 1:3.
- Although the height limit is only 128 blocks, worlds can be larger than the Classic and Small world types from Legacy Console Edition.
- There is a mob cap that is much stricter than Legacy Console Edition: only 24 enemies, 24 animals, 16 squid, and 16 villagers can exist at one time. However, there is no cap on experience orbs, so it is possible to intentionally crash the game by throwing too many bottles o' enchanting.
- Instead of including the map item, the map and the player's coordinates are displayed on the Touch Screen. The Touch Screen is also used for inventory management and crafting.
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition includes seven skin packs: Standard, Biome Settlers Pack 1, Biome Settlers Pack 2, Redstone Specialists, Journey to the West, Holiday Skin Pack 2015, and the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack player skins, which were added in update 1.5. In addition, Campfire Tales, City Folk, Town Folk, Battle and Beasts, Star Wars Classic, Star Wars Rebels, Stranger Things and Star Wars Prequel, Villans skin packs are available for purchase in the in-game Store.
- There are four texture packs included with the game: Minecraft (default), City, and Plastic, along with the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack texture pack, added for free in update 1.5. Cartoon, Fantasy, Candy, Natural texture packs are available for purchase in the in-game Store.
- There are no Mash-Up Packs available in the Store of the 3DS.
- Along with the other editions of Minecraft for Nintendo platforms, New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the most expensive edition of Minecraft, as it is only sold bundled with several add-on packs.
- The game stores the save file in extra data on the microSD rather than as Save Data.
- The reason this was done may be because Minecraft has larger save files than many 3DS games.
- The max world size for this edition of the game is 2016×2016, which is larger than Wii U Edition's world size which is 864×864 despite being much weaker compared to the Wii U.
- This may be because extra data is not subject to the same limits as save data.
- The Pocket Edition has a physically smaller world size in megabytes than Legacy Console Edition, which allows them to have larger size worlds.
- The internal names for this game were "Proteus" and "Silverfish".
- This edition includes 20 platform-specific splash texts.
- 10 were selected by an Other Ocean engineer who "(hopes) fans find them".
- Of the remaining 10, they are:
- "Coffee! Coffee now!"
- "Don't be that guy!"
- "Go to sleep! Go to sleep! It's time to go to sleep!"
- "Generate me a force field with that computer and a microwave!"
- "Ah, another visitor!"
- "Rise from your grave!"
- "What are you selling?"
- "Rob is jarig!"
- "Don, bear near?"
- "Don't awoo!"
- This is the only edition of the game wherein the splash text is not slanted and above the logo.
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition for Nintendo 3DS" – Nintendo
- “The adventure lives wherever you go with @Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition, available at stores on November 10th!” – @nintendoamerica, October 28, 2017
- "Minecraft on new 3DS!" – Minecraft.net, September 14, 2017
- "Minecraft is out today for the New Nintendo 3DS" – Polygon, September 13, 2017
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition" – Nintendo.co.uk, July 27, 2018
- Talk page edit by HelenAngel