New Nintendo 3DS Edition
Digital – eShop
1 GB (1.9.19)
|This page describes an edition of the game that has been officially discontinued.|
This edition is no longer updated, but can still be purchased digitally or physically..
Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the version of Minecraft developed by Other Ocean Interactive and Mojang Studios for the New Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 2DS XL, but is not compatible with the original Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, or Nintendo 2DS. It was released digitally on the Nintendo eShop simultaneously in North America and Japan on September 13, 2017, hours after its announcement during a Nintendo Direct, and physically on November 10, 2017. The game was finally released worldwide on September 20, 2018, one year and seven days after the original release. Although updates for this version were discontinued with 1.9.19 on January 15, 2019, it can still be purchased digitally through the Nintendo eShop or physically at a retailer.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition's most recent feature update is the Discovery Update.
The New Nintendo 3DS Edition has the following differences from other editions:
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition lacks online multiplayer. Local ad-hoc multiplayer was added in update 1.4.
- World types are "Default" and "Flat". Default world sizes are Small (672×672), Medium (1344×1344), and Large (2016×2016). The size of a world cannot be changed once it is created. The ratio of The Nether to the Overworld is 1:3.
- Although the height limit is only 128 blocks, worlds can be larger than the Small world type from Legacy Console Edition.
- There is a mob cap that is much stricter than Legacy Console Edition, where a maximum of 24 enemies, 24 animals, 16 squid, and 16 villagers can exist at one time. However, there was initially no cap on experience orbs, so it was possible to crash the game by throwing too many Bottles o' Enchanting. This was fixed in update 1.1.
- Instead of including the map item, the map and the player's coordinates are displayed on the Touch Screen. The Touch Screen can also be used for inventory management and crafting. The Explorer Maps from update 1.9 are the only map items in the New Nintendo 3DS Edition.
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition runs at 60 frames per second in standard worlds, and 30 frames per second in Mash-up worlds.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition includes seven skin packs:
- Biome Settlers Pack 1
- Biome Settlers Pack 2
- Redstone Specialists
- Journey to the West
- Holiday Skin Pack 2015
- Super Mario Mash-up
In addition, there are more skin packs available for purchase in the in-game store:
- Campfire Tales
- City Folk
- Town Folk
- Battle & Beasts
- Star Wars Classic
- Star Wars Rebels
- Stranger Things
- Star Wars Prequel
- Strangers - Biome Settelers 3
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- Magic: The Gatherings
- Halloween Costume
There are four texture packs included with the game:
- Minecraft (default)
- Super Mario Mash-up
In addition, there are more texture packs available for purchase from the in-game store:
There is one mash-up pack included with the game:
- Super Mario Mash-up
In addition, there is one more mash-up pack available for purchase from the in-game store:
- Festive Mash-up 2016
- Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the third version of Minecraft which allows players to play together without an Internet connection with one person per system, using the Local Play feature on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Java Edition, Bedrock Edition, and Legacy Console Editions (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and Wii U) need an Internet connection for multiplayer to work with multiple systems, while Legacy Console Editions (PS Vita and Nintendo Switch) have the additional option to toggle local multiplayer via the main menu.
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the only edition that doesn't support 4-player multiplayer. It supports 2-player local multiplayer, but doesn't use Download Play, meaning each person needs a copy of the New Nintendo 3DS Edition.
- Exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS Edition, the original Stonecutter can be found in the Creative Inventory. It's only purpose is decoration.
- Firework Rockets are absent from the New Nintendo 3DS Edition, meaning it is impossible to boost Elytra flight in this version.
- It was stated that the New Nintendo 3DS Edition "will have 3D support in a future update," however the game currently still lacks the feature.
- Along with the other editions of Minecraft for Nintendo platforms, New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the most expensive edition of Minecraft, as it is only sold bundled with several add-on packs.
- For both digital and physical versions, the game's save file is stored in "Extra Data" on the system's microSD card rather than as "Save Data" in the system's memory or on the Game Card.
- The reason this was done may be because Minecraft has larger save files than many 3DS games.
- Despite being significantly less powerful than the Wii U, the max world size for New Nintendo 3DS Edition is 2016×2016, which is larger than Wii U Edition's world size of 864×864.
- This may be because Bedrock engine worlds have a smaller file size compared to Legacy Console Edition, allowing for larger size worlds.
- The internal names for this game were "Proteus" and "Silverfish".
- This edition includes 20 platform-specific splash texts.
- 10 were selected by an Other Ocean engineer who "(hopes) fans find them".
- Of the remaining 10, they are:
- "Coffee! Coffee now!"
- "Don't be that guy!"
- "Go to sleep! Go to sleep! It's time to go to sleep!"
- "Generate me a force field with that computer and a microwave!"
- "Ah, another visitor!"
- "Rise from your grave!"
- "What are you selling?"
- "Rob is jarig!"
- "Don, bear near?"
- "Don't awoo!"
- This is the only edition of the game wherein the splash text is not slanted and above the logo.
- v1.8.13 was approximately 4,000 blocks (the unit of storage for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) in size, equating to roughly 500MB.
- The Festive Mash-up pack is the only Mash-up pack available for download on the in-game Store.
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition for Nintendo 3DS" – Nintendo
- "The adventure lives wherever you go with @Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition, available at stores on November 10th!" – @nintendoamerica, October 28, 2017
- ACB Rating
- "Minecraft on new 3DS!" – Minecraft.net, September 14, 2017
- "Minecraft is out today for the New Nintendo 3DS" – Polygon, September 13, 2017
- https://twitter.com/nintendo of america/status/924320074592333826
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition" – Nintendo.co.uk, July 27, 2018
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition - 1.9" – Minecraft Feedback
- Talk page edit by HelenAngel