Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Nether Quartz Ore
dec: 153 hex: 99 bin: 10011001
See § Data values
The nether quartz ore block itself (rather than its nether quartz drops) can be obtained by mining it with a pickaxe with the Silk Touch enchantment.
|Block||Nether Quartz Ore|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
Nether quartz is about as abundant as iron is in the Overworld, and is found between layers 7-117, but the huge open areas in the Nether expose all the ore, thus making it seem like it is more common. There is an average of roughly 79 ores per chunk. Nether quartz ore will only generate in areas where Netherrack would have been. This means that finding quartz that is naturally isolated is very rare, just like with all other ores.
Nether quartz generates in veins of 4-10 just like iron ore.
Nether quartz ore drops one nether quartz and 2 to 5 experience when mined with any pickaxe. Mining with a Fortune enchanted pickaxe will increase possible yields by 1 per level (up to 4 with level 3) (with an average of 2.2 quartz per ore with Fortune III, based on the mechanics of the fortune enchantment.)
|Nether Quartz||Nether Quartz Ore +
|Nether Quartz Ore|
|Block||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
|Nether Quartz Ore||
|1.5||13w01a||Added nether quartz ore. It drops Nether Quartz.|
|13w01b||Nether quartz ore can now be smelted in a furnace to make nether quartz.|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID has been changed from |
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 153.|
|1.14||18w43a||Changed the texture of nether quartz ore.|
|18w50a||Changed the texture of nether quartz ore again.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Changed the texture of nether quartz ore.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||Changed the texture of nether quartz ore.|
- Unlike netherrack, fire does not burn indefinitely on nether quartz ore.
- Nether quartz ore has the same blast resistance as other ores, which is more than the quartz block and netherrack combined.
- The texture of nether quartz is the same as netherrack's, but with white streaks added. A similar design is used in the coal block, but with black streaks on a stone block.
- Nether quartz ore was originally planned at MINECON 2013 as an ore that will generate in the Nether to promote Nether exploration. This ore was planned to be either a type of redstone, or be an ore that will drop an item used in redstone circuitry. See nether quartz.
- The vast quantities of easily-available nether quartz ore in the Nether, combined with the relatively large quantity of experience gained from digging it, makes nether quartz mining one of the fastest ways to level up in Minecraft.
- Nether quartz ore is generated as part of the dimension, while netherrack is generated as part of the biome.[Java Edition only]
- This can be seen, as when a Buffet world with the nether biome is generated, there will be netherrack but no quartz ore.
- In Bedrock Edition, if the Nether is generated in the Overworld as a biome, neither netherrack nor nether quartz ore is generated, but the terrain is completely made out of stone with bedrock ceiling.[Bedrock Edition only]