Nether Quartz Ore
|Catches fire from lava||
Nether quartz ore can generate in the Nether in the form of mineral veins. Nether quartz ore attempts to replace netherrack 16 times per chunk in veins of size 1-14, from levels 10 to 117, in all nether biomes. In basalt deltas, nether quartz ore attempts to generate 32 times per chunk as there are fewer valid generation areas.
|Block||Nether Quartz Ore|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
|Nether Quartz||Nether Quartz Ore +
Do note that smelting is pointless with Nether Quartz Ore: with any level of Fortune enchantment, one can obtain more quartz by breaking the ore instead. The experience gain is at least 10 times higher too.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||?||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||?||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||?||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||?||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||?||16|
|Breaking the block||?||0.8|
|Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|Mining the block||?||0.5|
|?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|Walking on the block||?||?|
|Placing the block||?||0.8|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Nether Quartz Ore|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Nether Quartz Ore|
|1.5||13w01a||Added nether quartz ore.|
|Nether quartz ore drops nether quartz.|
|13w01b||Nether quartz ore can now be smelted in a furnace to make nether quartz.|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID of nether quartz ore has now has been changed from |
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 153.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of nether quartz ore has now been changed.|
|18w50a||The texture of nether quartz ore has now been changed, once again.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||The texture of nether quartz ore has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added nether quartz ore.|
|1.90||The texture of nether quartz ore has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added nether quartz ore.|
- Unlike netherrack, fire does not burn indefinitely on nether quartz ore.
- Nether quartz ore has the same blast resistance as other ores, which is more than the quartz block and netherrack combined.
- The vast quantities of easily available nether quartz ore in the Nether, combined with the relatively large quantity of experience gained from digging it, make nether quartz mining one of the fastest ways to level up in Minecraft. Breaking one nether quartz ore provides 3.5 experience points on average, so breaking about 100 of them will get the player from level 0 to 16, and about 400 from level 0 to 30.
- Nether quartz ore is generated as part of the dimension, while netherrack is generated as part of the biome.[Java Edition only]
- This can be seen, as when a Buffet world with the nether biome is generated, there is netherrack but no quartz ore.
- In Bedrock Edition, if the Nether is generated in the Overworld as a biome, neither netherrack nor nether quartz ore is generated, but the terrain is completely made out of stone with bedrock ceiling.