Nether Quartz Ore
dec: 153 hex: 99 bin: 10011001
The nether quartz ore block itself (rather than its nether quartz drops) can be obtained by mining it with a pickaxe with the Silk Touch enchantment.
Nether Quartz Ore
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Nether quartz is about as abundant as iron is in the Overworld, and is found between layers 7-117, but the huge open areas in the Nether expose all the ore, thus making it seem like it is more common. There is an average of roughly 79 ores per chunk. Nether quartz ore will only generate in areas where Netherrack would have been. This means that finding quartz that is naturally isolated is very rare, just like with all other ores.
Nether quartz generates in veins of 4-10 just like iron ore.
Nether quartz ore drops one nether quartz and 2 to 5 experience when mined with any pickaxe. Mining with a Fortune enchanted pickaxe will increase possible yields by 1 per level (up to 4 with level 3) (with an average of 2.1875 quartz per ore with Fortune III, based on a sample of 1280 ores.)
|Nether Quartz||Nether Quartz Ore +
|1.5||13w01a||Added nether quartz ore. It drops Nether Quartz.|
|13w01b||Nether quartz ore can now be smelted in a furnace to make nether quartz.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID has been changed from
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
- Unlike netherrack, fire does not burn indefinitely on nether quartz ore.
- Nether quartz ore has the same blast resistance as other ores, which is more than the quartz block and netherrack combined.
- The texture of Nether Quartz is the same as Netherrack's, but with white streaks added. A similar design is used in the Coal Block, but with black streaks on a stone block.
- Nether Quartz ore was originally planned at Minecon 2013 as an ore that will generate in the Nether to promote Nether exploration. This ore was planned to be either a type of Redstone, or be an ore that will drop an item used in Redstone circuitry see Nether Quartz.