We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Nether Quartz Ore
dec: 153 hex: 99 bin: 10011001
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
The nether quartz ore block itself (rather than its nether quartz drops) can be obtained by mining it with a pickaxe with the Silk Touch enchantment.
Nether Quartz Ore
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Nether quartz is about as abundant as iron is in the Overworld, and is found between layers 7-117, but the huge open areas in the Nether expose all the ore, thus making it seem like it is more common. There is an average of roughly 79 ores per chunk. Nether quartz ore will only generate in areas where Netherrack would have been. This means that finding quartz that is naturally isolated is very rare, just like with all other ores.
Nether quartz generates in veins of 4-10 just like iron ore.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Nether quartz ore drops one nether quartz and 2 to 5 experience when mined with any pickaxe. Mining with a Fortune enchanted pickaxe will increase possible yields by 1 per level (up to 4 with level 3) (with an average of 2.1875 quartz per ore with Fortune III, based on a sample of 1280 ores.)
Smelting ingredient[edit | edit source]
|Nether Quartz||Nether Quartz Ore +
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.5||13w01a||Added nether quartz ore. It drops Nether Quartz|
|13w01b||Nether quartz ore can now be smelted in a furnace to make nether quartz.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||Added nether quartz ore.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Nether Quartz Ore” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Unlike netherrack, fire does not burn indefinitely on nether quartz ore.
- Nether quartz ore has the same blast resistance as other ores, which is more than the quartz block and netherrack combined.
- The texture of Nether Quartz is the same as Netherrack's, but with white streaks added. A similar design is used in the Coal Block, but with black streaks on a stone block.
- Nether Quartz ore was originally planned at Minecon 2013 as an ore that will generate in the Nether to promote Nether exploration. This ore was planned to be either a type of Redstone, or be an ore that will drop an item used in Redstone circuitry [see Nether Quartz (item)].