dec: 421 hex: 1A5 bin: 110100101
|“||An item that makes any creature, good or bad, stay in your world forever? Must be entirely decorative ;)||„|
|— Dinnerbone |
Name tags can be caught from fishing as part of the treasure category.
Librarian villagers sell a name tag for 20 emeralds as part of their fifth tier trade.[upcoming: BE 1.11.0]
To use a name tag it must first be renamed with an anvil, which will cost 1 experience level. If it is not renamed, it will have no effect when used on a mob. After the name tag is renamed, the player can use it on a mob to give it the name given to the name tag from the anvil. Mobs and name tags can be renamed any number of times.
Once a mob is named, it will keep its name and use up the name tag.
- However, a named silverfish that goes into a block will not be named when the block is broken, since it will actually be another, newly-generated silverfish.
Baby animals and villagers will keep their name when they become adults. Named villagers will keep their name if they become zombie villagers, and named zombie villagers will keep their name when cured.
- When a passive mob is named, it will not count towards the passive mob cap.
A name tag can rename an armor stand, though it will not show the nameplate above its head until
CustomNameVisible:1b is set as an extra step.
Most mobs that can be interacted with by pressing use will perform the use action instead of being named. A villager will be renamed instead of opening the trading interface. A saddled pig will be renamed instead of being ridden. Any other mob that can be interacted with can be renamed if the player uses the name tag while in a nether portal, as the nether portal suppresses the use action.
Renamed mobs will have their name displayed over their head in the fashion as a mob named through a renamed spawn egg. Their names can only be seen if they are aimed at from four or fewer blocks away.
If a renamed mob kills a player, the custom name will be used in the death message in place of the mob type name.
- Any mob that receives the name "Dinnerbone" or "Grumm" will be rendered upside down.
- Naming a sheep "jeb_" will cause its wool to fade between the dye colors, producing a rainbow effect. The wool it will drop when sheared or killed will be the color the sheep before the sheep was named. For example, when a black sheep is named jeb_ and then changes to the color red, if sheared it will still drop black wool.
- Naming a rabbit "Toast" will cause it to have a special memorial skin.
- Naming a vindicator "Johnny" will cause it to be aggressive with all mobs (except other illagers).
|1.6.1||13w16b||Added name tags. They can now be found in dungeon chests.|
|13w25a||A mob named "Dinnerbone" or "Grumm" will now render upside down.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Name tags can now rarely be acquired by fishing.|
|1.7.4||13w48b||A sheep named "jeb_" will now fade between the dye colors.|
|1.8||14w02a||Name tags can now be bought from librarian villagers, at 20–22 emeralds for 1 name tag.|
|14w27a||Rabbits have now been added and naming one "Toast" will give it a special memorial skin.|
|1.9||15w44a||Added name tags to mineshaft chests.|
|The average yield of name tags in dungeon chests has now been decreased.|
|1.11||16w39a||Name tags can now be found in the new woodland mansion chests.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 421.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added name tags, and a new "Name" Interact button.|
|A mob named "Dinnerbone" or "Grumm" will render upside down.|
|A sheep named "jeb_" will fade between the dye colors.|
|Naming a rabbit "Toast" will give it a special memorial skin.|
|1.0.4||alpha 188.8.131.52||Name tags can now be bought from librarian villagers for 20-22 emeralds as their last tier trade.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||Naming a vindicator "Johnny" will now make it hostile to any mobs except Illagers.|
|Name tags can now be found in woodland mansions.|
|1.4.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Name tags can now be found in buried treasure chests.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.11.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Name tags sold by librarian villagers now cost 20 emeralds.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||Added name tags.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added name tags.|
- Name tags were added at the request of Paulsoaresjr.
- A stack of up to 64 name tags can be renamed at once. The cost is 1 experience level per stack, regardless of how many name tags were stacked.
- To name a mob “Name Tag” the player must give the name tag a random name, then rename it back to “Name Tag”.
A wolf, which has been renamed using a name tag.
A creeper renamed using the name tag.
A horse using the "Grumm" and "Dinnerbone" easter egg to be rendered upside-down.