|This feature is exclusive to Education Edition and Bedrock Edition.|
Unlike other entities, NPCs don't spawn naturally, they can only be spawned using the NPC spawn egg.
When spawned, NPCs will display a name hovering over their head and defaults to
NPCs have no AI. They can neither move nor be pushed by other entities. They also cannot take damage nor be affected by potions. Nevertheless, the NPCs can still turn their body and stare at the nearest player if close enough. The NPCs can be pushed by sticky pistons from below or sides with a slime block attached and they can slide on ice when pushed.
NPCs are invincible, meaning that projectiles will go through their body.
Right-clicking an NPC will show the interface, it can only be edited as long as the player has the world builder permission. The interface allows the player to edit the dialog, name, appearance and advanced settings. When the player doesn't have the world builder permission, it only shows the dialog and buttons.
- The name of an NPC can be entered in the top text pane titled "Name". The text limit for the name is 32, and the color can be changed by using the color codes.
- The dialog box located right below the "Name" and often used as a tool for guiding. The text limit for the dialog is 256, although in some cases it appears as 337.
- NPCs appearance are selectable, to change the skin simply just by left clicking on the preferred skin.
- There are currently 20 skins available for the NPCs and defaults to the yellow-robed NPC.
- Advanced Settings
- The advanced NPC settings consists of URL and commands. They are used to create interactive buttons. The current maximum advanced settings that can be added is 6.
- The URL feature allows the player to add a hyperlink button. The URL can be entered at the first input box below the title up to 1024 letters.
- To change the button name or label can be proceeded by filling the input box titled "Button Name", the current text limit for the label is 16 letters.
- When added, the button will show up only if the player has the world builder permission disabled. The button label defaults to "Learn More" and the color defaults to blue, it can be changed by using the color codes.
- The command feature allows the player to add one or more executable commands in the NPC. The command can be entered at the first input box below the title, unlike the command block multiple commands can be executed in one window. The current maximum letters for the command is 1024. The command(s) get executed when the dialogue with the NPC is closed.
- The command can be presented either as a button or a direct command. As a button, the button name or label can be changed by filling the input box titled "Button Name", the text limit for the label is 16 letters. It can only be executed if the player has the world builder permission disabled.
- When not added as a button, the command will be executed after the dialogue with the NPC, visible by right clicking the NPC, has closed. In contrariwise, the button will be displayed and has a label color defaults to light gray, and can be changed by using the color codes.
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.16.0||build 1||Added NPCs.|
|build 2||NPCs have now been removed. However, their savegame ID and spawn egg still exist.|
|build 4||The NPC spawn egg has now been removed.|
|build 5||NPCs will now have a behavior file in: 'server/entities/npc.json'.|
|1.8.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Re-added NPCs. They currently have no functionality.|
|NPCs can only be summoned using the |
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||NPCs are no longer summonable using |
|NPCs now have a dialog GUI and changeable skins.|
|1.0||Added NPCs. These NPCs are editable and can be given commands to do certain actions.|
|1.0.2||NPC interface page is now more advanced.|
|Added button mode for the URL and commands.|
- NPC will instantly die when going below y=0 and makes wood placing sounds as it vaporizes.
- Even though NPC can easily be killed with the world builder permission, it cannot be killed by using the
- The name of an NPC will remain visible from a distance, even through walls.
- "Education.minecraft.net" – Minecraft: Education Edition