|Catches fire from lava||
|— Marsh Davies|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Endermen can pick up mycelium blocks, and drop the block they are holding if killed.
A mycelium block can spread to any dirt block within one space above, one sideways, or three down. The mycelium needs light level 9+ above it and the dirt needs light level 4+ above it, and must not be covered by any light-impeding block or any opaque block. Mycelium reverts to dirt when covered by one of the light-impeding blocks above and the light level at that block is below 4. The death and spread behavior is checked when a random tick lands on the block.
If there is a plant on a dirt block when mycelium spreads to it, the plant pops out and drops as an item.
Effect on plants
- Mushrooms can remain on mycelium blocks in any light level, unlike the situation on other blocks, where mushrooms are broken (dropping as items) during block updates in high light.
- Huge mushrooms can grow on mycelium, just as they can grow on dirt, grass, or podzol.
- Mycelium cannot be tilled with a hoe to make farmland. Saplings, flowers, grass, shrubs, ferns and sugar cane cannot be planted on it, and pumpkins and melons do not grow on it.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|?||Breaking the block||0.5||0.8|
|?||Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|?||Mining the block||0.6||0.5|
|?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|?||Walking on the block||?||?|
|?||Placing the block||1||0.8|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|snowy||If true, the block uses a snowy side and top texture.|
In-game, this is true when a snow block or snow is on top.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added mycelium.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5||Mycelium now appears in the creative mode inventory.|
|1.2.4||release||Mycelium is now the only block that mushrooms can be planted and spawned on while in direct contact with sunlight.|
|1.9||15w31a||Mycelium can now be obtained by killing an enderman that is holding the block.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 110.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of mycelium has now been changed.|
|19w12a||Mycelium now has random orientations when placed, similar to grass blocks.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added mycelium.|
|0.9.2||Mycelium now spreads correctly.|
|0.12.1||?||Mycelium can now be obtained using the Silk Touch enchantment.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Mycelium can now be obtained by killing an enderman that is holding the block.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||The texture of mycelium has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added mycelium.|
|1.90||The texture of mycelium has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- It is a common misconception that only mooshrooms can spawn on mycelium. This is not true; it is the biome itself that prevents other mobs from spawning. Friendly and hostile mobs can spawn on mycelium in any other biome just like they do on any other block. Relatedly, mycelium outside of a mushroom biome does not spawn mooshrooms.
- In real life, mycelium is the part of a fungus that gathers nutrients, comprised of web-like threads known as hyphae. Mycelium can be considered the roots of a fungus, whereas the mushrooms can be considered the fruits.
Mycelium as shown with snow on top. The mycelium still produces spores.
- "Block of the Week: Mycelium" – Minecraft.net, Nobember 28, 2016