See § History
See § Drops
Kill Adult: 1–3
Mooshrooms spawn at light level 7 or above and 5% of them will spawn as a baby.
If a pair of mooshrooms are given wheat, they will breed. A mooshroom cannot be bred with a cow, even one that used to be a mooshroom.
Feeding wheat to a baby mooshroom will speed up its growing time by 10% of the remaining time.
Baby mooshrooms do not have mushrooms on their backs, but they will appear once it is fully grown.
Breeding two red mooshrooms has a 1⁄1024 chance to spawn a brown baby variant, and vice versa.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
When they die, adult mooshrooms drop (affected by looting):
- 0–2 Leather
- 1–3 Raw Beef
- 1–3 Steak (if killed by fire)
- 1–3 experience (when killed by a player or tamed wolf)
When a flower is used on a brown mooshroom, the brown mooshroom will give a suspicious stew related to that flower the next time it is milked with a bowl. The mooshroom will return to producing mushroom stew afterwards when milked.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
Like other baby animals, killing a baby mooshroom yields no items, nor experience.
Mooshrooms tend to walk around slowly and aimlessly, huffing and mooing occasionally. They will avoid danger such as cliffs, fire or lava, but will make no attempt to stay out of water.
A mooshroom will follow players holding wheat.
Red mooshrooms convert to brown mooshrooms, and brown convert to red, when they are struck by lightning.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
Mooshrooms have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed see Template:Nbt inherit/breedable/template
- Type:[upcoming: JE 1.14] The type of mooshroom this is.
- EffectId:[upcoming: JE 1.14] Optional. A byte indicating the type of the status effect the brown mooshroom may give to a suspicious stew.
- EffectDuration:[upcoming: JE 1.14] Optional. An integer indicating the duration of the status effect the brown mooshroom may give to a suspicious stew.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Repopulation||Breed two cows with wheat||Breed two cows or two mooshrooms.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||Breed a pair of one of these 11 mobs. Other breedable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.[until JE 1.14].|
Breed a pair of one of these 12 mobs. Other breedable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed pairs of each of these 11 mobs. Other tamable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.[until JE 1.14]|
Breed pairs of each of these 14 mobs. Other tamable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added mooshrooms.|
|They could not be milked with a bucket like regular cows can. Right clicking on a mooshroom with more than one bowl equipped would turn the whole stack into just one bowl of mushroom stew.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Breeding a cow with a mooshroom may result in either, chosen randomly. The offspring may be more likely to be the kind you gave wheat to first, similarly to sheep.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||The mooshroom's horns are moved.|
|The mooshroom udder's model is changed, but the texture isn't changed to match the new model, resulting in the broken udder glitch.|
|Added baby mooshrooms. Mooshrooms can be bred with wheat.|
|1.2.1||12w07a||Mooshrooms can no longer breed with cows.|
|12w07b||Mooshrooms have a new AI.|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Added new step, hurt, and idle sounds.|
|1.8||14w02a||Baby mooshroom growth can be accelerated using wheat.|
|14w05b||Mooshroom's mushrooms are no longer visible when they have the Invisibility effect.|
|14w26b||Mooshrooms now require mycelium, not grass, for random spawning and spawning from mob spawners.|
|1.9||15w39a||Mooshrooms are slightly taller (1.4 blocks tall rather than 1.3, with babies 0.7 blocks tall rather than 0.65).|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID is changed from |
|MINECON Earth 2018||The Mojang panel debates whether to add brown mooshrooms.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||19w08a||Added brown mooshroom variant, which spawn when a regular mooshroom is struck by lightning.|
|Brown mooshrooms will give the player suspicious stew when fed a flower.|
|Breeding two red mooshrooms has 1⁄1024 to spawn a brown baby variant, and vice versa.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added mooshrooms and their baby variant.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Baby zombie jockeys can now mount mooshrooms when trying to attack players, villagers, or golems.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Baby husks can now mount mooshrooms.|
|1.1.0||alpha 22.214.171.124||The entity ID is changed from |
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added mooshrooms and baby mooshrooms.|
|Mooshrooms can be bred using wheat.|
|TU14||1.04||Using a mooshroom spawn egg, baby mooshrooms can now be spawned by using // on an adult mooshroom.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Baby mooshroom growth can be accelerated using wheat.|
|Updated mooshroom sounds.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- The name "Mooshroom" is a portmanteau for "moo" (which is an onomatopoeia of the sound a cow makes) and "mushroom".
- In Legacy Console Edition, mooshrooms and cows have different spawn limits. This means if the player has reached their cow limit, they cannot shear a mooshroom, and will get a error message when trying.
- As of 1.14, mooshrooms are the fourth mob in the game which are directly affected by being struck by lightning.
- Mooshrooms are also the only mob in the game which can be interchangeably be changed by lightning, as a red one can be converted to brown and a brown can be converted to a red.