The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
Mods/Installing Forge mods
|The contents of this page are not supported by Mojang Studios or the Minecraft Wiki.|
|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
It is recommended to read this article first in order to safely install mods and use a modded Minecraft without problems.
Forge supports only Java Edition Beta 1.7.3 or later.
- It is recommended to have a separate game directory for a profile for a specific Forge versions. Selecting the profile for that version with only that version's mods in the folder will allow Forge to load.
- The player can disable individual mods by adding
.disabledat the end of the mod's filename. Removing
.disabledwill enable the mod again.
- Download all mods from here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods# - This is one of the safe sites to download mods from.
Forge Game Installer
- Go to the Forge Download page.
- Find the latest or recommended build for the version of Minecraft. Download links are next to the build and Minecraft version. Download the one called "Installer".
- Once it has downloaded, Open your downloads folder and double click (make sure you have Java) on the .jar. Then select, "open with" and click Java. If you're using Linux then you will have to run the
.jarfile manually, with a command such as
java -jar <installerName>
- This will open a window called "Mod System Installer". Keep the "Install Client" box ticked
- Make sure that there are NO mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge, or Forge won't load
- (Optional) To choose a different install directory, click on the "…" button next to the box with the default install directory (.minecraft folder), then select the folder to install into
- Click "Install" and wait for it to finish
- Open the Minecraft launcher and select the profile "Forge". Note the best practice above.
- Install the twitch client from here.
- Login to your Twitch account or create a new one.
- After logging in, click on "Mods" in the top bar and select "Minecraft".
- Create a new profile with the version you want and click "Get more Content" and download the mods you want.
- Click play to open the Minecraft Launcher.
- Login to your mojang account and click play.
- If you receive the message, "Inherits properties from an unknown version", try right-clicking the shortcut/icon and clicking "run as administrator"