Join us on Discord!
Mods/Installing Forge mods
|The contents of this page are not supported by Mojang AB, the Minecraft Wiki, the or the .|
It is recommended to read this article first in order to safely install mods and use a modded Minecraft without problems.
Forge supports only Minecraft 1.1 or later.
- It is recommended to have a separate game directory for a profile for a specific Forge versions. Selecting the profile for that version with only that version's mods in the folder will allow Forge to load.
- Go here.
- Find the latest or recommended build for your version of Minecraft. The download links are next to the build and Minecraft version, download the one called 'Installer'.
- Once it has downloaded, either run it (Windows) or double-click it in the 'Downloads' list/folder (OS X and Windows). Linux users have to run the
.jarfile manually, with a command such as
java -jar <installerName>
- This will open a window called "Mod System Installer". Keep the "Install Client" box ticked
- (Optional) If you want to choose a different install directory, click on the "..." button next to the box saying the file path of the default install directory (.minecraft folder) then just simply select the folder you want to install into
- Click install and wait for it to finish
- Open the Minecraft launcher and select the profile "forge". Note the best practice above.
- Make sure that there are NO mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge otherwise Forge wouldn't load
The Minecraft Modinstaller installs mods easily and quickly. It suggests mods based on your selected Minecraft version that you install with only a single click. Descriptions with pictures and reviews may help you choose. It can be downloaded at the developer’s website.
- Choose your Minecraft version in the list
- Look for the mods of your choice listed on the left side
- Click on the "Add" arrow to shift to the right list in order to select them for installation
- Click on "Install" (all mods will be downloaded including Minecraft Forge) and Minecraft will start
- If you receive a message saying "Inherits properties from an unknown version" try right-clicking the shortcut/icon and clicking "run as administrator"