Mods/Installing Forge mods
|The contents of this page are not supported by Mojang AB, the Minecraft Wiki, or the Minecraft Forums.|
|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
It is recommended to read this article first in order to safely install mods and use a modded Minecraft without problems.
Forge supports only Java Edition 1.1 or later.
- It is recommended to have a separate game directory for a profile for a specific Forge versions. Selecting the profile for that version with only that version's mods in the folder will allow Forge to load.
- The player can disable individual mods by adding
.disabledat the end of the mod's filename. Removing
.disabledwill enable the mod again.
- Go here.
- Find the latest or recommended build for the player's version of Minecraft. The download links are next to the build and Minecraft version, download the one called 'Installer'.
- Once it has downloaded, Open your downloads folder and double click on the .jar. If you're using Linux then you will have to run the
.jarfile manually, with a command such as
java -jar <installerName>
- This will open a window called "Mod System Installer". Keep the "Install Client" box ticked
- (Optional) If the player want to choose a different install directory, click on the "…" button next to the box saying the file path of the default install directory (.minecraft folder) then just simply select the folder they want to install into
- Click install and wait for it to finish
- Open the Minecraft launcher and select the profile "forge". Note the best practice above.
- Make sure that there are NO mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge otherwise Forge won't load
- Install the twitch client from here.
- Login to your Twitch account or create a new one.
- After logging in, click on "Mods" in the top bar and select "Minecraft".
- Create a new profile with the version you want and click "Get more Content" and download the mods you want.
- Click play to open the Minecraft Launcher.
- Login to your mojang account and click play.
- If the player receive a message saying "Inherits properties from an unknown version", try right-clicking the shortcut/icon and clicking "run as administrator"