Mods/Installing Forge mods
|The contents of this page are not supported by Mojang AB, the Minecraft Wiki, the or the .|
Java Edition only
It is recommended to read this article first in order to safely install mods and use a modded Minecraft without problems.
Forge supports only 1.1 or later.
- It is recommended to have a separate game directory for a profile for a specific Forge versions. Selecting the profile for that version with only that version's mods in the folder will allow Forge to load.
- The player can disable individual mods by adding
.disabledat the end of the mod's filename. Removing
.disabledwill enable the mod again.
- Go here.
- Find the latest or recommended build for the player's version of Minecraft. The download links are next to the build and Minecraft version, download the one called 'Installer'.
- Once it has downloaded, either run it (Windows) or open it in the 'Downloads' list/folder (OS X and Windows). Linux users have to run the
.jarfile manually, with a command such as
java -jar <installerName>
- This will open a window called "Mod System Installer". Keep the "Install Client" box ticked
- (Optional) If the player want to choose a different install directory, click on the "…" button next to the box saying the file path of the default install directory (.minecraft folder) then just simply select the folder they want to install into
- Click install and wait for it to finish
- Open the Minecraft launcher and select the profile "forge". Note the best practice above.
- Make sure that there are NO mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge otherwise Forge wouldn't load
The Minecraft Modinstaller installs mods easily and quickly. It suggests mods based on the selected Minecraft version that has been installed with only a single click. Descriptions with pictures and reviews may help the player choose. It can be downloaded at the developer's website.
- Choose the Minecraft version in the list
- Look for the mods of the choice listed on the left side
- Click on the "Add" arrow to shift to the right list in order to select them for installation
- Click on "Install" (all mods will be downloaded including Minecraft Forge) and Minecraft will start
- If the player receive a message saying "Inherits properties from an unknown version", try right-clicking the shortcut/icon and clicking "run as administrator"