Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Mods/Installing Forge mods
|The contents of this page are not supported by Mojang AB, the Minecraft Wiki, or the Minecraft Forums.|
|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
It is recommended to read this article first in order to safely install mods and use a modded Minecraft without problems.
Forge supports only Java Edition 1.1 or later.
- It is recommended to have a separate game directory for a profile for a specific Forge versions. Selecting the profile for that version with only that version's mods in the folder will allow Forge to load.
- The player can disable individual mods by adding
.disabledat the end of the mod's filename. Removing
.disabledwill enable the mod again.
- Download all mods from here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods# - This is one of the safe sites to download mods from.
DISCLAIMER doesn't work for 1.13 and 1.14
- Go to the Forge Download page.
- Find the latest or recommended build for the version of Minecraft. Download links are next to the build and Minecraft version. Download the one called "Installer".
- Once it has downloaded, Open your downloads folder and double click on the .jar. If you're using Linux then you will have to run the
.jarfile manually, with a command such as
java -jar <installerName>
- This will open a window called "Mod System Installer". Keep the "Install Client" box ticked
- (Optional) To choose a different install directory, click on the "…" button next to the box with the default install directory (.minecraft folder), then select the folder to install into
- Click "Install" and wait for it to finish
- Open the Minecraft launcher and select the profile "Forge". Note the best practice above.
- Make sure that there are NO mods in the mods folder for other versions of Forge, or Forge won't load
- Install the twitch client from here.
- Login to your Twitch account or create a new one.
- After logging in, click on "Mods" in the top bar and select "Minecraft".
- Create a new profile with the version you want and click "Get more Content" and download the mods you want.
- Click play to open the Minecraft Launcher.
- Login to your mojang account and click play.
- If you receive the message, "Inherits properties from an unknown version", try right-clicking the shortcut/icon and clicking "run as administrator"