Mini Games are a variety of modes exclusive to the Legacy Console Edition of Minecraft. Mini Games can be played solo, splitscreen on the same console, online, or with another console locally via an ad-hoc connection.[Nintendo Switch and PlayStation Vita editions only] The three Mini Games currently available on all versions of Legacy Console Edition are Battle, Tumble, and Glide.
Prior to each round, all players can freely explore a lobby and interact with various items, such as bows, fishing rods, armor, heads, Elytra, and Music Discs. Any player that wears one of the five heads in the lobby retains that head into the next round.
Initially codenamed/known as Arena (as seen in Wii U Edition's unused files), Battle is a Mini Game most similar to the popular "Hunger Games" mode on Java Edition servers, where players compete in a "last man standing" or "deathmatch" style game. Battle was added to the Legacy Console Edition on June 21, 2016. The gameplay of Battle differs from the standard "Hunger Games" mode in a variety of ways, such as:
- A fifteen-second grace period
- Refilling chests
- The ability to remove all items from a chest at once
- Armor is automatically equipped when acquired (stronger armor is prioritized)
- Players can heal and sprint so long as they are not starving
- A red outline surrounds the crosshair, indicating where damage was received from
- TNT is ignited upon placement
- "Showdown" begins after an extensive amount of time has passed, where name tags for remaining players become visible and a countdown clock begins
- Following the completion of a round, a leaderboard is displayed, which includes the number of kills by each player and other statistics.
Up to 16 players can join a single game on Xbox One Edition and PlayStation 4 Edition, 8 players on Xbox 360 Edition, PlayStation 3 Edition, Wii U Edition, and Nintendo Switch Edition, and 4 players on PlayStation Vita Edition. A "Casual" or "Competitive" option can be chosen when creating a lobby, which can either allow or restrict the use of smaller-sized skins and can change the appearance of spectators. Spectators cannot pass through blocks, but can fly through one block tall spaces. As of TU60 and equivalent updates, the totem of undying can be found in a map's center chests, commonly in the High Power mode, occasionally in the Food Central mode, and never in the Decayed mode.
Custom Battle is an option that allows a player to change various aspects of Battle, such as:
- Random Chest Loot
- Normal – A standard, balanced set of items.
- Decayed – Armor and weapons have low durability and the chance of more powerful loot is reduced.
- No Armor – No armor appears in chests.
- High Power – Armor and weapons are at least iron, with diamond equipment and enchanted equipment appearing significantly more often. Food also becomes exclusively rabbit stew and cooked mutton.
- Food Central – Only chests at the center of the map have food.
- Hunger and Regeneration
- Normal – The standard hunger settings.
- Anti-Camping – Hunger is lost even when standing still.
- Always Healing – Players constantly regenerate health, but cannot sprint if low on hunger.
- No Hunger – The hunger bar isn’t used at all, making it impossible for players to starve.
- No Starving – Players never take damage if starving.
- Fast Healing – Players heal faster than usual.
- Lead Feet – Sprinting, jumping and swimming cause more rapid hunger depletion.
- Always Hungry – Every action causes much more exhaustion than usual.
- Misc. Settings
- Random Spawn – When enabled, players spawn at various locations around the map.
- Take Everything – When enabled, players can empty a chest in one go.
- Small Inventory – When enabled, only the hotbar, armor, and offhand inventory slots are available.
All loot in Battle Mini Game is obtained from chests or other players. Center chests at the beginning of a round may contain high concentrations of valuable loot, such as armor, weapons, food, and potions. Other chests in the map may also contain smaller amounts of valuable loot.
The following appear more often in the High Power custom mode.
A chest in the Halloween map always contains the following items, regardless of the mode being used.
As of TU49 and equivalent updates, there are a total of 21 maps in Battle Mini Game (excluding the Nintendo Switch Edition). The first three maps - Cavern, Cove, and Crucible - can be used by anyone, however the remaining 18 maps must be purchased through the respective Battle Map Pack or the Season Pass (excluding the Nintendo Switch Edition). Each map is based on a theme, occasionally with unique music and a texture pack. Because of this, the Texture pack cannot be changed during Battle Mini Game.
The Season Pass and nearly all DLC Battle maps are absent on the Nintendo Switch Edition, even though all other versions, including the Wii U Edition, have these maps as purchasable DLC. When asked about this during the Official Minecraft Livestream, it was stated that excluding Nintendo Switch Edition players from Battle Map DLC is "kind of intentional." This is currently still the case, where Valley is the only DLC Battle map that is available on the Nintendo Switch Edition through the purchase of the Chinese Mythology Mash-Up Pack.
As of PlayStation 4 Edition 1.90, maps with the default textures were replaced with the newer "Minecraft Classic" pack.
The current available Battle maps are as follows, with the Nintendo Switch Edition only having access to Cavern, Cove, Crucible, and Valley:
- Cavern (Default): "This ancient looking underground structure is the perfect place to sneak up on your enemies!"
- Cove (Default): "Try to survive in the pirate's hidden camp, full with shipwrecks and caves!"
- Crucible (Default): "A world built deep in the Nether, with plenty of lava for your enemies to swim in!"
- Lair (Fantasy): "Battle in the dragon's lair."
- Medusa (Greek Mythology): "Don't look directly at her!"
- Temple (Default): "This mysterious temple is set within the deepest jungle. Watch out for enemies lurking in the tree tops!"
- Atlantis (Greek Mythology): "Deep beneath the ocean, a lost city lay in ruins. Atlantis awaits the battle."
- Ruin (City): "Abandoned and left to ruin, there are still secrets left to be found. Battle for the remaining resources and survive this hazardous place."
- Siege (Fantasy): "Brave the enemy walls or defend the keep. The siege is upon us."
- Castle (Default): "Crown yourself in glory in the Castle's great halls."
- Invasion! (City): "An alien attack has created a dangerous arena. Defend your rooftops but don't fall off!"
- Shipyard (Steampunk): "A port in the sky away from the storm, but this area is anything but calm."
- Frontier (Default): "It's high noon! Things are about to get wild in the Old West, so grab a fistful of TNT, slap on a sou'wester and prepare for an almighty dustbowl dust-up between the good, the bad, and the ugly."
- Dig (Default): "A snowbound excavation site lies deserted. What unspeakable things did the scientists discover beneath the ice? Find out for yourself, while battling against both the elements and each other!"
- Shrunk (Plastic): "Are you tiny or is everything else just really, really big? Be careful not to lose your sense of proportion as you fight your way across this over-sized bedroom and tidy up the competition."
- Halloween (Halloween): "Something wicked this way comes. Full of deadly thrills and sinister shocks, it will scare you off your Minecraft blocks!"
- Valley (Chinese Mythology): "Discover your inner self as you battle across this ancient land of dragons! This battle map is exclusive to the Chinese Mythology Mash Up."
- Festive (Festive): "Get together with friends and family for some Minecraft-style tussling in this special seasonal map. The more the merrier! Guaranteed to be more fun than pretending you like the socks your uncle gave you."
- Atomics (Fallout): "Face the perils of the General Atomics Galleria! Is Mister Handy friend or foe? Will you dodge the traps rigged to blow?"
- Libertalia (Fallout): "Battle through the troubled waters of Libertalia! Who will captain the seas in this watery graveyard of ships?"
- Capitol (Fallout): "Clamber through the ruins of the Capitol! Who will rise from the rubble to battle their way through the wasteland?"
The current available Battle Map DLC Packs are as follows, with the Nintendo Switch Edition having access to only the Chinese Mythology Mash Up Pack:
- Battle Mode Pack Season Pass (grants access to Battle Map Packs 1-4)
- Battle Map Pack 1
- Battle Map Pack 2
- Battle Map Pack 3
- Battle Map Pack 4
- Festive Battle Map
- Halloween Battle Map
- Chinese Mythology Mash Up Pack - Contains Valley map, skin pack, and Chinese Mythology world.
- Fallout Battle Map Pack - Contains Atomics, Libertalia, and Capitol.
Tumble is a Mini Game most similar to the popular "Spleef" mode on Java Edition servers, where players aim to cause others to fall off of an arena by using snowballs, shovels, or other items to mine the ground below them. Tumble was added to the Legacy Console Edition on August 30 and August 31, 2016.
Similar to Battle, a Tumble game is divided into three rounds. The object of the game is to remove blocks from under other players, causing them to fall in a last-man-standing scenario. The default Tumble mode encompasses a single, large platform where players use shovels to remove blocks. Other modes include competing on three smaller platforms, throwing snowballs, using Firework Rockets, or throwing Splash Potions with the levitation effect. All blocks are broken immediately by a shovel, snowball, or potion. The sole exception is TNT, which act as both a pitfall and an explosive that can be used to destroy lower platforms, if enabled.
Up to 8 players can join a single game on most platforms, with PlayStation Vita Edition allowing a maximum of 4.
As of TU58 and equivalent updates, the "Custom" game type allows the host to select the number of lives, the number and size of layers, and enable the use of Firework Rockets or Splash Potions of Levitation.
After a certain amount of time, Showdown mode begins, like in Battle mode. Player names are shown during this period. When shovels are enabled, they are replaced with snowballs.
Various special events can occur in the Tumble mini game:
- The time-limited Halloween Arena was introduced in TU58 and equivalent updates, which adds specially-themed layers and uses the Halloween 2015 Mash-Up Pack.
- The Festive Arena was introduced in TU60 and equivalent updates.
- An Xbox 360 Edition exclusive event was held in 2018 to celebrate the version's 6th birthday. The Cartoon Texture Pack was used.
Glide is a Mini Game where players maneuver through a track while wearing an Elytra, aiming to finish in the fastest time or score the most points by flying through colored rings. Glide was added to the Legacy Console Edition on March 29, 2017. Glide currently features three different game modes:
- Time Attack - Players compete to finish a track in the fastest time.
- Score Attack - Players compete to score the highest number of points by flying through colored rings placed along the track.
- Solo - A player flies through a track on their own.
A Glide match is divided into three rounds, where a player with the fastest time or highest score from any round is the victor. Up to 16 players can join a single game on Xbox One Edition and PlayStation 4 Edition, 8 players on Xbox 360 Edition, PlayStation 3 Edition, Wii U Edition, and Nintendo Switch Edition, and 4 players on PlayStation Vita Edition.
Similar to Battle, every DLC Glide track is absent from the Nintendo Switch Edition, even though all other versions, including the Wii U Edition, have these tracks as purchasable DLC. This is currently still the case, where Cavern, Temple, and Canyon are the only playable tracks on the Nintendo Switch Edition.
As of PlayStation 4 Edition 1.90, maps with the default textures were replaced with the newer "Minecraft Classic" pack.
The current available Glide maps are as follows, with the Nintendo Switch Edition only having access to Cavern, Temple, and Canyon:
- Cavern (Default): "Fly through the ancient catacombs of the Cavern!"
- Temple (Default): "Dive deep into the jungle and discover the secrets of the Temple."
- Yeti (Default): "Swoop down the icy glacier and between the bones of giants to discover the lost land of the Yeti."
- Kraken (Default): "Plunge past the pirates' wrecks to find forgotten treasures. But beware: the Kraken awaits!"
- Dragon (Chinese Mythology): "Share the skies with Dragons, soaring above the epic landscape of this Chinese Mythology-inspired track."
- Shrunk (Plastic): "Are you tiny or is everything else just really, really big? Be careful not to lose your sense of proportion as you glide your way through this oversized house and tidy up the competition."
- Body (Default): "A junk food junkyard! A vessel of viruses! A flotilla of phlegm! Grit your teeth for a slimy fight on this unhealthy trip through the human body."
- Mobs (Default): "Swoop over, around, and beneath the mighty, monolithic mobs that dominate the skyline of this out-of-scale track."
- Canyon (Default): "Soar through the Canyon's windswept strata, winding round stone arches and frontier railways, on this Wild West express to reach ancestral lands."
- Excalibur (Fantasy): "Castles and dragons tower over this fantasy Glide track. It'll take flying skills of some (ex)caliber to get you to the end of this Arthurian legend."
- Icarus (Greek Mythology): "Swoop down the slopes of Mount Olympus, twist through the labyrinth's many turns and hurdle into Hades. Remember to pay the ferryman for safe passage!"
- Celts (Default): "Slalom through Standing Stones and marvel at mighty beasts, as you traverse a track inspired by Europe's mystic past."
The current available Glide Map DLC Packs are as follows. None are available on the Nintendo Switch Edition:
- Glide Track Pack Season Pass (grants access to Glide Track Packs 1-3 and the Mini Game Heroes Skin Pack)
- Glide Beasts Track Pack - Contains Yeti, Kraken, and Dragon.
- Glide Giants Track Pack - Contains Shrunk, Body, and Mobs.
- Glide Myths Track Pack - Contains Excalibur, Icarus, and Celts.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Gamerscore earned (Xbox)||Trophy type (PS)|
|The Student...||Win a public Battle mini game.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||25G||Silver|
|...has become the master||Win 3 public Battle games in a row.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||60G||Gold|
|'Tis but a scratch||Take 100 damage in a round of a public Battle mini game.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||40G||Silver|
|Cupid||Kill 2 players in a round of a public Battle mini game using a bow and arrow.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||20G||Bronze|
|Hunger Pain||Kill a player while you are starving in a Battle mini game.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||20G||Bronze|
|Mine!||Open every chest in a Battle mini game arena in one round.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||20G||Bronze|
|Underdog||Win a Tumble game whilst on the lowest layer in a Snowball Tumble Mini Game.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||15G||Bronze|
|Hotshot||Hit a Player with a Snowball while falling into the Lava.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||40G||Silver|
|S-no Throw||Win a single round of Snowball Tumble without throwing any Snowballs.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||40G||Silver|
|Overlord||Stay on the top layer while winning a round in a Snowball Tumble Mini Game.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||15G||Bronze|
|Snowplough||Push three Players into Lava using Snowballs in a single public round.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||15G||Bronze|
|Snow Storm||Hit a single Player with 25 Snowballs in a single public round.||—||Yes||Yes||Wii U, Switch||40G||Silver|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU36||CU25||1.28||Patch 7||1.0.1||Added Battle mini game.|
|TU41||CU30||1.33||Patch 11||Added Tumble mini game.|
|TU51||CU41||1.44||Patch 20||1.0.3||Added Glide mini game.|
- Battle, Tumble, and Glide are the first and only official developer-created mini games to be featured in any version of Minecraft. The various mini games available on Java Edition's Realms or on Bedrock Edition's featured servers are community created and/or hosted by a third-party.
- Four songs from the mini games mode are featured as music in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, including "Clockwork Crafter," "Toys on a Tear," "Dance of the Blocks," and "Glide." All but "Clockwork Crafter" received new arrangements.
- The ‘Tis But A Scratch is a reference to the movie 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'.
-  - The Official Minecraft Livestream
- "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Mr. Sakurai Presents "Steve & Alex""– Nintendo on YouTube, October 3, 2020