Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
This is a wiki project that aims to organize the wiki through the power of categorization. Editors who have an interest in keeping the wiki organized in the background using the category system should add their name to the participant list below and then either look for tasks in the to-do list or discuss ideas for categories and category trees.
Discuss the usefulness of this project on the talk page.
Categories are a very useful way to navigate the wiki outside of articles. They assist in finding topics of a similar type or nature, not unlike navigation boxes. For example, if a user reads about the Quiver and wants to find other removed content, they could check a category like Category:Removed. Not only this, but it also helps in the maintenance of the wiki itself by categorizing all articles with some form of needed maintenance such as deletion requests. It also keeps templates and other useful resources grouped and categorized for editors to easily find and use.
- Gnu32 11 February 2011 (UTC)
- Wynthyst 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- IKJames 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- Ultradude25 27 February 2011 (UTC)
- UltimateBudgie 04 March 2011 (UTC)
- jackftwcod5 19 April 2011 (UTC)
- talk 16 May 2011 (UTC)
- Eearslya 16 October 2011 (UTC)
- djr013 3 November 2012 (UTC)
- Dan14941 09 February 2013 (UTC)
- XOut 13 July 2013 (UTC)
- Augurnz 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Elopus001 05 July 2014 (UTC)
- KnightMiner 14 December 2014 (UTC)
- Keatit71 10 June 2015 (UTC)
- Jcat02 03 November 2015 (UTC)
- Numberguy6 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- ITechieGamer 10 February 2018 (UTC)
- Sonicwave 08 December 2018 (UTC)
- Tyguy9114 05 May 2019 (UTC)
- Organize the wiki's category tree into a clear structure of article categories
- Find articles of a related nature and categorize them with relevant and useful categories
- Propose a standard or guidelines for category creation and usage
- Organize all the maintenance-related content for Minecraft Wiki and group them, i.e. Navbox templates
- The tree should start from the root category Category:Main and split into primary categories. These primary categories should have no pages in them if possible, just categories.
- Categories should be created under the following checklist:
- Is it a subject matter worth categorizing by interest? e.g. Category:Custom server
- If it's a category for categories or templates, will it be too micromanaged? e.g. Category:Nav templates instead of Category:Box templates
- Does a similar category already exist? e.g. Category:Licensing templates instead of Category:Licenses
- Categories should be properly cased; No Camel Casing except where appropriate. e.g. "Employees of Mojang"
- When categorizing pages on a different namespace to main (e.g. Template:, Help:, Talk: etc..) EXCEPT for Categories, make sure you define the first parameter of the category link as the correct sorting letter. e.g. To categorize Template:Stub in Category:Infobox templates, you must use the code
Propose new tasks on the talk page.
Create Category:Maintenance and recategorize all the maintenance categories (i.e. Category:Pending deletion) there Create a category tree for templates Implement category tree listed at Proposed Changes
- Categorize all existing pages into new tree