|— minecraft.net on Minecraft Earth|
Minecraft Earth is a free-to-play augmented reality (AR) mobile game developed by Mojang Studios and published by Xbox Game Studios for Android, iOS and iPadOS. The game is about building structures and collecting materials by traveling to real-life locations.
- 1 Design
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Microtransactions
- 4 Development
- 5 Release
- 6 System requirements
- 7 Videos
- 8 Gallery
- 9 See also
- 10 References
Minecraft Earth is not a port of an existing game. It is an adaptation of both Bedrock and Java editions. The game itself is built on the Bedrock engine. It features many unique gameplay aspects and interactions similar to the main game.
Minecraft Earth requires an Xbox Live account.
The game uses Azure's new Azure Spatial Anchors along with Open Maps technology to help with the experience. This helps map out where certain objects should be along with pinning players' builds.
In Minecraft Earth, players can build structures with other players and "place them in the real world at life-size".
In the map view, players can see their character, which can be changed with the skins owned from the marketplace. Scattered around the maps are tappables. If a tappable is within a player's collection range, the player can tap it and collect items. There are multiple types of tappables, including stone, grass, chests, and mobs.
Adventures also appear on the map but can also be spawned in using Adventure Crystals. Adventures are the survival aspect of Minecraft Earth. Players can fight mobs, collect additional resources that are unavailable with tappables, and collect rewards.
Buildplates can vary in size, reaching up to 200 feet (60 meters). Using the shop, players can upgrade the size of their plot, or buy a new plot. Plots can also be earned via a leveling system.
Buildplates can be 8×8, 16×16 or 32×32 blocks in size, and their build height limit is 221 blocks. From ground level, a buildplate also extends 3 blocks downward. Bedrock appears after digging down 3 blocks.
Buildplates function like personal realms, and can be used anywhere. They run in the Bedrock Engine, meaning redstone, physics, and other mechanics are identical to Bedrock Edition. Players may invite friends to build with them locally and then share the world to others.
Once a build is complete, if the player wants to have a persistent hologram of their world pinned somewhere, it would need to be reviewed before its pinned. Mojang Studios claims to have a 24/7 moderation team, reviewing and looking at reports.
People who are not invited can interact with the pinned world locally; once they leave said world everything is reset. Only invited individuals can change the real world and take resources from it, non invited players cannot collect resources.
Buildplates can be seen through the world as pinned worlds, and can be opened to explore and interact with. To get their own, players must level up or purchase them through the store.
Minecraft Earth adventures have their own buildplates, with predefined above-ground and underground structures and hostile mobs. Like user buildplates, an adventure plate must be placed somewhere on the ground before interacting with it. Adventure buildplates cannot be saved or moved by a player although multiple players can interact with the same adventure at the same time.
Gameplay differences from regular Minecraft
Minecraft Earth offers somewhat different mechanics to players more familiar with Java or Bedrock editions of Minecraft. These differences include:
- The game is basically two-dimensional; that is, while one can build upward and dig downward, a player cannot climb or descend unless a real-world structure is available for climbing and descending.
- There is no daylight cycle. Buildplates and adventures always have the same lighting regardless of the real-world time of day. Some buildplates may be available with night illumination.
- Inventory is effectively unlimited, both in inventory slots and the stack size of items or blocks.
- There is no inventory crafting grid, and no way to repair damaged items by combining them.
- There are no armor slots in the inventory.
- Mobs can be collected, and achievements earned for collecting them. Occasionally a tappable drops a hostile mob that can be collected and placed on a buildplate.
- Inventory is unaffected by death, as it is inaccessible during adventures. Only items in the hotbar and backpack (the items collected during an adventure), are lost.
- Both crafting and smelting take time, sometimes several minutes (or even hours) depending on the item. Like smelting in regular Minecraft, the player can exit the crafting or smelting interface to do other things while the process completes.
- Several items cannot be crafted at all, such as chests, crafting tables, armor, villager workstations, fishing rods, and anything related to enchantments or potions (anvils, enchanting tables, brewing stands, etc.).
- Tools and melee weapons have infinite range. Ranged weapons can be crafted but are normally not needed.
- Health and hunger are combined into one health gauge bar. Health is depleted by mob attacks, and restored by eating food.
- Food cannot be cooked in survival mode (i.e. during an adventure), but must be cooked outside of an adventure. Food can be eaten during an adventure and outside of an adventure.
- Iron ingots are available only by smelting iron ore, which is rare and never dropped by tappables. Iron ore can be obtained only via mining during an adventure, provided the adventure includes any iron at all, and rarely when killing zombies, similar to Vanilla Minecraft.
- There is no way to craft or wear armor in the game. A player must use tactics rather than armor for protection. A player can obtain different clothing items but these offer no armor protection.
- Chests cannot be found as items, crafted, or stored in the player's inventory. They exist only as tappables.
- Ladders are available for construction but cannot be climbed.
- Obsidian does not exist and cannot be created. Lava flowing into water forms cobblestone, but lava is unaffected by water flowing onto it.
- Mini boosts are figurines that are tapped to the device's NFC reader giving temporary boosts to stats in-game, such as better defense or attack strength. Only five can be used at a time and the same boost.
- Adventure crystals were added for people isolating during the COVID-19 pandemic. Adventure crystals allow a player to experience a small, medium, large or huge adventure without having to go outside, provided the adventure has enough open area. Adventure crystals are a permanent feature and are not going to be removed.
Rubies can be used to:
- Purchase buildplates
- Purchase boosts
- Purchase second and third slots for crafting and smelting
- Speed up crafting and smelting tasks
Minecoins are also used as a secondary currency in Minecraft Earth, for purchasing skins and clothing.
During Microsoft Build 2015, Microsoft's HoloLens team unveiled an augmented reality version of Minecraft. On May 6, 2019, Microsoft released a video on YouTube, where some features from Minecraft Earth were shown. On May 8, 2019, a trailer was released, showing some AR mods in Minecraft Earth. On Minecraft's 10th anniversary (May 17), Minecraft Earth was officially announced.
iOS and iPadOS
The closed beta for Minecraft Earth was launched for AR-compatible devices running iOS and iPadOS in the cities listed below.
|Closed beta launch date||City|
|July 16, 2019|
|July 17, 2019|
|July 18, 2019||Mexico City, Mexico|
The closed beta for Minecraft Earth was launched for AR-compatible devices running Android in the same five cities the iOS closed beta was launched in.
|Date||Cities of closed beta launch||Notes|
|August 22, 2019||—||Pre-registration for the full game on the Google Play Store and registration for the closed beta on the Minecraft Earth site becomes available.|
|August 30, 2019||London, England
Seattle, Washington, United States
Mexico City, Mexico
|This closed beta was launched in the same cities as the closed beta for iOS already was launched in.|
|Early access launch date||Version||Country|
|October 17, 2019||0.5.0||Iceland, New Zealand|
|October 29, 2019||0.6.0||Australia, Mexico, Sweden|
|October 31, 2019||0.6.1||Canada, Philippines, South Korea|
|November 5, 2019||—||United Kingdom|
|November 12, 2019||0.7.0||United States|
|November 19, 2019||0.7.1||Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland|
|November 21, 2019||—||India|
|December 11, 2019||0.8.0||Most countries worldwide, excluding Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Mainland China, Myanmar, North Korea, Sudan, and the United Arab Emirates.|
According to the FAQ page:
|Operating system||Android 8.0 "Oreo" and later||iOS 12.0 and later or iPadOS (all versions)|
|Compatible devices||ARCore supported devices except for these||
iPhone (6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XS Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE (2nd generation), 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max)
iPod Touch (7th generation)
iPad (5th generation and later)
The official poster on exploring in Minecraft Earth. Endermen are not in Minecraft Earth however.
A muddy pig viewed both on a mobile device and in the world.
Mobs and items
- "LONDON and SEATTLE, you're up! As the first two cities to go live in the Minecraft Earth closed beta, all eyes are on you and your life-sized minetacular (specblockular?) creations!" – @minecraftearth, July 16, 2019
- "Minecraft Earth is here! Starting today, we will begin to roll out early access from country to country, starting with: 🇳🇿 New Zealand 🇮🇸 Iceland Not a citizen of either land? Stay tuned as we announce the next countries soon!" – @minecraftearth, October 17, 2019
- "We've saved up all our wool to roll out the red carpet. Over the next 24 hours, Minecraft Earth early access will become available in countries all across the world! Navigate over to your app store of choice to start crafting in real life." – @minecraftearth, December 11, 2019
- Google Play Store
- Google Play Store
- "Earth FAQ" – Minecraft.net, May 17, 2019.
- "Hey, we absolutely will keep them! We added them because they're a great experience and we know players are really enjoying them!" - SevralTimez
- "HoloLens games are too good for HoloLens" – The Verge, June 17, 2015.
- "What's Minecraft up to?"
- "Seattle and London are already live, and now it's time to welcome STOCKHOLM to the block party! Södermalm or Kungsholmen, which part of the city will prove to be the most creative?" – @minecraftearth, July 17, 2019
- "TOKYO! Home of the historical and the hyper-modern, cat cafés and muddy pigs. Wait, what? Yes! Tokyo is the fourth city to join the Minecraft Earth closed beta." – @minecraftearth, July 17, 2019
- "The Minecraft Earth closed beta is now live in MEXICO CITY! Five cities are up and running – we can't wait to see what you create!" – @minecraftearth, July 18, 2019
- "Minecraft Earth closed beta now on Android" – Minecraft.net, August 30, 2019
- "Minecraft Earth Early Access" – Minecraft.net, October 17, 2019
- "Early access is in full swing and rolling out around the world! We're working around the block to bring everyone into Minecraft Earth. Here are today's countries:
More info on our early access plans 👇 ..." – @minecraftearth, October 29, 2019
- "Queued up and ready to go! Today, three additional countries join the Minecraft Earth early access. Say hi to:
🇰🇷 South Korea
🇵🇭 Philippines" – @minecraftearth, October 31, 2019
- "Tea, crumpets – and now also Minecraft Earth! Early access has arrived in the 🇬🇧 United Kingdom. Jolly good! Read more at: ↣ https://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 5, 2019
- "Hey 🇺🇸 United States, we found your Minecraft Earth invite, it was behind the couch this whole time! Welcome to early access! More information at: ↣ http://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 12, 2019
- "More countries need to join the early access? Well, alright then! Now LIVE in:
Learn more: ↣ http://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 19, 2019
- "Time to get to tappin', players of 🇮🇳India! Minecraft Earth early access has arrived and is going live across the country. Enjoy!
↣ http://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 21, 2019