Minecraft Earth is a free-to-play augmented reality (AR) mobile game developed by Mojang AB and published by Xbox Game Studios for iOS and Android. The game is about building structures and collecting materials by traveling to real-life locations.
In Minecraft Earth, players can build structures with other players and "place them in the real world at life-size".
In the map, players can see their character, which can be changed with the skins owned from the marketplace. Scattered around the maps are Tappables. If a Tappable is within a player's collection range, they will be able to tap it and collect items. There are multiple types of Tappables, including stone, grass, chests, and mobs.
Adventures will also appear on the map. Adventures are the survival aspect of Minecraft Earth. Players will fight mobs, and collect rewards.
This version of Minecraft features many unique gameplay aspects and interactions similar to the main game.
This version of Minecraft utilizes Xbox Live.
The game uses Azure's new Azure Spatial Anchors along with Open Maps technology to help with the experience. This helps map out where certain objects should be along with pinning players' builds.
Build plates can vary from size, reaching up to 200 feet (60 metres). Using the shop, players can upgrade the size of their plot, or buy a new plot. Plots can also be earned via a leveling system.
Build plates can be 8×8, 16×16 or 32×32 blocks in size, and their build height limit is 221 blocks. From ground level, a build plate also extends 3 blocks downwards. After digging down 3 blocks, bedrock will be revealed.
Build plates function like personal realms, and can be used anywhere. They run in the Bedrock Engine, meaning redstone, physics, and other mechanics are identical. Players may invite friends to build with them locally and then share the world to others.
Once a build is complete, if the player wants to have a persistent hologram of their world pinned somewhere, it would need to be reviewed before its pinned. Mojang claims to have a 24/7 moderation team, reviewing and looking at reports.
People who are not invited can interact with the pinned world locally; once they leave said world everything will be reset. Only invited individuals can change the real world and take resources from it, non invited players cannot collect resources.
Build plates can be seen through the world as pinned worlds, and can be opened to explore and interact with. To get their own, players will need to level up or purchase them through the store.
Rubies can be used to:
- Purchase build plots
- Speed up crafting and smelting tasks
During Microsoft Build 2015, Microsoft's HoloLens team unveiled an augmented reality version of Minecraft.. On May 6, 2019, Microsoft released a video on Youtube, where some features from Minecraft Earth were shown.  On May 8, 2019, a trailer was released which showed some AR mods in Minecraft Earth. On Minecraft's 10th anniversary (May 17), Minecraft Earth was officially announced.
The closed beta for Minecraft Earth was launched for AR-compatible devices with iOS in the following cities:
|Closed beta start date||City|
|July 16, 2019|
|July 17, 2019|
|July 18, 2019||Mexico City, Mexico|
The closed beta for Minecraft Earth was launched for AR-compatible devices with Android in the first five cities the closed iOS beta was also launched in: London, Seattle, Stockholm, Tokyo, Mexico City.
|Closed beta start date||Description|
|August 22, 2019||Pre-registration for the full game on the Google Play Store and registration for the closed beta on the Minecraft Earth site becomes available.|
|August 30, 2019||The closed beta was released in the same cities as iOS.|
Minecraft Earth was made available in early access in the following countries, listed by date and version of first release:
|Early access start date||Country|
|October 17, 2019 (0.5.0)||Iceland, New Zealand|
|October 29, 2019 (0.6.0)||Australia, Mexico, Sweden|
|October 31, 2019||Canada, Philippines, South Korea|
|November 5, 2019||United Kingdom|
|November 12, 2019 (0.7.0)||United States|
|November 19, 2019 (0.7.1)||Japan, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland|
|November 21, 2019||India|
According to the FAQ page:
|Operating system||iOS 12.0 or later||Android 8.0 "Oreo" or later|
|Compatible devices||iPod touch (7th Gen)
iPhone (6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XS Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max)
iPad (5th, 6th & 7th Gen, Air 3)
iPad Mini (5th Gen)
iPad Pro (1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen)
|ARCore supported devices|
|0.1.0||July 31, 2019|
|0.2.0||August 27, 2019|
|0.3.0||September 20, 2019|
|0.4.0||October 2, 2019|
|0.4.2||October 7, 2019|
|0.5.0||October 17, 2019|
|0.6.0||October 29, 2019|
|0.6.1||November 1, 2019|
|0.7.0||November 11, 2019|
|0.7.1||November 18, 2019|
|0.8.0||December 11, 2019|
|0.9.0||December 18, 2019|
|0.10.0||January 15, 2020|
Mobs and items
Chicken variant of mooshroom (called a Cluckshroom) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Sheep with large horns resembling a ram (called a Horned Sheep) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Christmas-themed variant of a llama (called a Jolly Llama) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Large rabbit (called a Jumbo Rabbit) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Entity used for placing human characters into the world (called a Mob of Me) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Buttercup-covered variant of mooshroom (called a Moobloom) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Pig covered in mud (called a Muddy Pig) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Purple Cat shown to be (but not confirmed to be) in Minecraft Earth.
Currency that can be used to purchase buildplates (called rubies) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
Cow resembling a yak (called a Wooly Cow) confirmed for Minecraft Earth.
- "LONDON and SEATTLE, you’re up! As the first two cities to go live in the Minecraft Earth closed beta, all eyes are on you and your life-sized minetacular (specblockular?) creations!" – @minecraftearth, July 16, 2019
- "Minecraft Earth is here! Starting today, we will begin to roll out early access from country to country, starting with: 🇳🇿 New Zealand 🇮🇸 Iceland Not a citizen of either land? Stay tuned as we announce the next countries soon!" – @minecraftearth, October 17, 2019
- "We've saved up all our wool to roll out the red carpet. Over the next 24 hours, Minecraft Earth early access will become available in countries all across the world! Navigate over to your app store of choice to start crafting in real life." – @minecraftearth, December 11, 2019
- Google Play Store
- "Earth FAQ" – Minecraft.net, May 17, 2019.
- "HoloLens games are too good for HoloLens" – The Verge, June 17, 2015.
- "What's Minecraft up to?" – via YouTube
- "Seattle and London are already live, and now it’s time to welcome STOCKHOLM to the block party! Södermalm or Kungsholmen, which part of the city will prove to be the most creative?" – @minecraftearth, July 17, 2019
- "TOKYO! Home of the historical and the hyper-modern, cat cafés and muddy pigs. Wait, what? Yes! Tokyo is the fourth city to join the Minecraft Earth closed beta." – @minecraftearth, July 17, 2019
- "The Minecraft Earth closed beta is now live in MEXICO CITY! Five cities are up and running – we can’t wait to see what you create!" – @minecraftearth, July 18, 2019
- "Minecraft Earth closed beta now on Android" – Minecraft.net, August 30, 2019
- "Minecraft Earth Early Access" – Minecraft.net, October 17, 2019
- "Early access is in full swing and rolling out around the world! We’re working around the block to bring everyone into Minecraft Earth. Here are today’s countries:
More info on our early access plans 👇 ..." – @minecraftearth, October 29, 2019
- "Queued up and ready to go! Today, three additional countries join the Minecraft Earth early access. Say hi to:
🇰🇷 South Korea
🇵🇭 Philippines" – @minecraftearth, October 31, 2019
- "Tea, crumpets – and now also Minecraft Earth! Early access has arrived in the 🇬🇧 United Kingdom. Jolly good! Read more at: ↣ https://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 5, 2019
- "Hey 🇺🇸 United States, we found your Minecraft Earth invite, it was behind the couch this whole time! Welcome to early access! More information at: ↣ http://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 12, 2019
- "More countries need to join the early access? Well, alright then! Now LIVE in:
Learn more: ↣ http://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 19, 2019
- "Time to get to tappin’, players of 🇮🇳India! Minecraft Earth early access has arrived and is going live across the country. Enjoy!
↣ http://redsto.ne/minecraftearth ↢" – @minecraftearth, November 21, 2019