Minecraft Dungeons is an upcoming action/adventure role-playing video game developed by Mojang AB, Xbox Game Studios, and Double Eleven. It is slated for a April 2020 release on PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
Beta sign-ups are available on the Dungeons website.
The game supports up to four players and features various new weapons, items, and mobs, as well as a variety of environments to explore and an overarching quest that'll see players face off against a main antagonist, called the Arch-Illager.
The game has specific quests and locations, along with procedurally generated elements. The player is not restricted to one class, and can pick up more armor or weapons and use them. Players will not build or mine because the game is focused on action/adventure. The game will take place both above ground and below. Players can re-play levels they have previously beaten. There is "Something similar to a hub world." Levels are procedurally generated, and Mojang is considering using World Seeds. There will also be key golems, which are new mobs that will run away from the player, and must be hit several times before they can be collected. Their use is currently unknown.
The game was announced at MINECON Earth 2018. It appears as a visually enhanced version of the base Minecraft game, but has a different gameplay style. The game is inspired by classic dungeon crawlers. On September 17, 2019, Double Eleven announced that they are assisting Mojang and Xbox Game Studios with development, particularly with multiplayer and the console versions.
Minecraft Dungeons: The Rise of the Arch-Illager
Minecraft Dungeons: The Rise of the Arch-Illager is an upcoming novel by American author Matt Forbeck. It is scheduled to be published by Del Rey Books on July 7, 2020.
- Minecraft: Dungeons is made in the Unreal Engine - PCGamesN; June 11, 2019
- Minecraft: Dungeons ESRB Rating
- "Minecraft Dungeons Out In April" – Minecraft.net, November 14, 2019
- Minecraft: Dungeons announced for PC - IGN, September 29, 2018
- Minecraft: Dungeons – Mojang unearths a bit more info, GameInformer; May 17, 2019
- Mojang announces Minecraft: Dungeons - Polygon, September 29, 2018
- "Announcement: Minecraft Dungeons" – Double11.com, September 17, 2019.