Java Edition 2.0
April 1, 2013
Purple[note 3] |
90, 91, 92
|This article documents an April Fools' joke.|
There is no actual Java Edition 2.0 version of Minecraft in development.
|— Dinnerbone on Minecraft 2.0|
On April 1, 2013, Mojang released a hoax announcement for Minecraft 2.0, a new game they had supposedly been working on for two years, describing how it would "bring blocky simulation games to the next level." The post also contained a changelog comprised mostly of nonsensical changes, such as a new slab of TNT called Etho slab, the addition of coal blocks (which then did not exist) and redstone blocks.
Although lacking most of the promised additions, Minecraft 2.0 was produced and distributed to select celebrity individuals to showcase to the public as part of the joke.
Despite being a joke, some features added in this version were implemented in subsequent updates.
|This section may need cleanup to comply with the style guide. Please help us clean up this page if you can. The specific instructions are:|
Rewrite to obey the style guide
- Etho Slab
- The data value is 160, although a variant with ID 159 also exists.
- Can be crafted with 3 TNT:
- Much like other slabs, it can be placed on the lower or upper half of a block.
- It has the same functions as a normal TNT; however, when it explodes, it spawns an anvil over players in the explosion's range.
- Torch (Burnt-out)
- The data value is 161.
- Torches now burn out after a random amount of ticks.
- They can be relit with flint and steel.
- The data value is 162.
- Just like the other mineral blocks, it is crafted with 3×3 coal:
- However, when it is put into the crafting table to get back the coal, the coal obtained will not be stackable with other coal, because it has a different item data value: 32767 instead of 0.
- This block was later added into Minecraft in Java Edition 1.6.1 with the same texture as from the April Fools version, but it was later retextured.
- Have a data value of 163.
- Glass can be dyed any color that the dye exists for, and yields 8 tinted glass of a color of your choice:
Bone Meal or
Light Gray Dye or
Gray Dye or
Ink Sac or
Pink Dye or
Red Dye or
Orange Dye or
Yellow Dye or
Lime Dye or
Green Dye or
Light Blue Dye or
Cyan Dye or
Lapis Lazuli or
Purple Dye or
Magenta Dye or
- Contains block data values ranging from 0–15 that specify the color of the glass. Wool's block data values produce the same colors when used on tinted glass.
- In Java Edition 1.7.2, tinted glass was added to the game under the name stained glass.
- Unlike the horses introduced later in Java Edition 1.6.1, these horses come in shetland pony (pig) and horse (cow).
- Riding mechanics are the same as pigs, except that the full horse requires wheat to direct.
- The shetland pony drops raw porkchop, and the horse drops raw beef.
- Textures are called
- These horses can sometimes be obtained when cows or pigs are spawned with spawn eggs.
- Friendly wither, or pink wither
- Attracted to sugar, restores health to all surrounding mobs, and applies bone meal to all eligible neighboring blocks.
- It also has the ability to grow roses, dandelions, grass and ferns on grass blocks, due to the bone meal.
- Starts off with one head, and feeding the Friendly Wither sugar will grow another head (up to three) and increase the range of these effects.
- Friendly Withers are spawned by placing pink wool, with a flower pot containing a rose on top.
- Just like their evil counterpart, they drop nether stars.
- It is still classified as a hostile mob, though its behavior is not hostile.
- The Friendly Wither is also considered undead, and will be hurt by potions of Healing and healed by potions of Harming.
- This is because the Friendly Wither has the same entity ID as the Wither.
- The Friendly Wither has no health bar.
- In the version
.jarfile the texture is named
- Diamond chickens
- Very rarely spawns instead of a normal chicken.
- Chance of laying diamonds or lapis lazuli instead of eggs.
- They do so at a much slower rate than normal chickens lay eggs.
- Explode when aggravated.
- Redstone bug
- Has the appearance of a silverfish, but with a shade of red that is the same as the redstone they spawn over.
- Same behavior as silverfish.
- Spawns when a redstone error is activated, on the spot of the error.
- Has been renamed to floppers.
- Will change anything they drop to a fish.
- Has a random chance (with each item smelted) of overheating (producing large amounts of smoke), and eventually exploding.
- The explosion is at least as powerful as a TNT block.
- The explosion created also causes damage to blocks even if submerged in water.
- It will smelt about 3-7 items before exploding.
- Note that it's based on burn time not items, so a piece of coal will always ignite it.
- Burn out over time.
- They can be relit with flint and steel.
- Are now a neutral mob, and will sometimes spawn reinforcements when killed.
- They will also attack the player when they look at them.
- Pigs, horses, mooshrooms, and cows
- Can be fed to make them fat.
- On the tenth time they are fed, they will explode.
- Using a golden apple makes them fly.
- Can be fed to make them fat, similar to pigs, horses, mooshrooms and cows
- On the tenth time they are fed, they will explode.
- Now carry "Battlesigns".
- Mobs can have a rare chance of escaping fences and glass panes.
- Smaller mobs have a larger chance.
- "Super Hostile Mode" is an occasional event (every 2–5 minutes on Purple version).
- Consisting of a shower of lightning bolts around the player (and usually striking the player at least once), while spawning a large number of powerful monsters in the area and applying the Blindness status to the player. These spawns include not only heavily armed and armored zombies and skeletons, and multiple charged creepers, but even the occasional Blaze and other monsters that don't usually spawn in the Overworld. This is a reference to Vechs' Super Hostile series of maps. All of these are apparently triggered by "punching wood" or crafting anything. Naturally, these are some of the first things a survival player will need to do.
- There is a new option for Super HD Graphics.
- When this option is turned on, it makes all textures monochrome except for recolored/secondary layer textures, such as grass side overlay or the colored glass. Super HD Graphics mode does not, however, make the game more laggy or glitchy.
- Speech Bubbles
- Blocks and mobs can have speech bubbles containing text above their heads, simulating talking.
- All quotes: "That hurts :(", "My eye!", "..zzZZZ", "Why!?", "I'll be back!", "You didn't ....", "Oof", "(&%!@*#&%!@$#", "Ouch", "Hi there!", "That tickles", "Who's there!", "I thought we were friends", "You're mean!", "Whiiii", "Not dropping anything!", "I like you!", "I HATE you!", "YOU NO TAKE .. COBBLE!", "I'm diamond", "You punched me", "Stop punching me", "I'm dirt", "Mummy?", "SSSSSSST", "KABOOM?", "BULLY!", "I'm telling", "Creeper behind you!", "Did I do bad?", and "Hello".
The update was intended to be given to the following YouTubers as trailer videos:
- SethBling – MindCrack SMP – Ep 1: MineCraft 2.0 Pre-Release Review
- BlameTheController – Minecraft 2.0 Beta Ep 1: Multiplayer Dungeon World first
- Guude – Minecraft MindCrack - S4E1 - Minecraft 2.0
- Xisumavoid – Minecraft 2.0 Update Preview
- Keralis – Wife vs. Minecraft - Episode 30: Minecraft 2.0!
- Biffa2001 – Minecraft 2.0 One Life - "Death By Blue Chickens" (April Fools Humor/Comedy!)
- Docm77 – Minecraft 2.0 Closed Beta - Exclusive First Look
- W92Baj – Minecraft 2.0 - You wont believe what has been added - Mindcrack prelease overview.
- Mhykol – Mhykol Mines - Mindcrack - Episode 259 - Minecraft 2.0
- Generikb – Minecraft 2.0 FIRST LOOK!
- Vechs – Ep01 Minecraft 2.0 LP - A Fresh Start
- Paul Soares Jr – Minecraft 2.0 - Mindcrack EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK!\
- Pyropuncher – Minecraft 2.0 Footage!
- Pakratt0013 – Pakratt’s Collections 55: First Impressions of 2.0
- AvidyaZen – MINECRAFT 2.0 - THE NDA HAS BEEN LIFTED!
- Joe Hills – Minecraft 2.0, now with more abominations!
- Millbee – Preview Of The Minecraft 2.0 Update!
- AnderZel – Minecraft 2.0 Update Pink Witter?
2.0 is not supported due to being an April Fools' joke, and therefore issues affecting it will be closed as "Invalid" in the issue tracker.
- At 1:00 GMT, the splash text in 2.0 is huge and says "APRIL FOOLS!" in pink letters and obstructs the title screen.
- Etho slabs have a bigger explosion than TNT, although they are smaller than TNT.
- Tinted glass uses filters.
- Lightning can strike mobs through blocks.
- The regular wither does not attack the pink wither, as they are classed as the same mob.
- The easier the difficulty, the more challenging super hostile mode is.
- However, if the player changes the difficulty to Peaceful, the super hostile mode will be disabled. This is due to Peaceful difficulty despawning hostile mobs and not allowing them to spawn.
- The savegame ID of the pink wither is
WitherHug, and of its projectiles is
- The "Super Hostile Mode" is a reference to Vechs' Super Hostile series of 'Complete The Monument' maps. Players must find colored wool to put on a Victory Monument. This is why some of the Mobs spawn with a random block of wool in their helmet slot, these mobs being known as 'Fleecy Mobs', which were the source of the wool in Vechs' Super Hostile map, 'Black Desert II', and also the Skylands map.
- Pink withers seem to not have the ability to fly, unlike the normal Wither.
- The textures for tinted glass, diamond chickens, and Redstone Bugs are all coded into the game, and are not found with the other mobs in the texture pack folders.
- In the changelog, it said "Fixed a bug where skeletons would miss their targets on occasion".
- In the changelog it said that there were many things added to fishing, including new fish. It proceeded to note that fishing had been removed and if you had fish in your inventory you would be damaged to discourage fishing.
- The name of the Etho Slab is a reference to YouTuber EthosLab, which is a mondegreen (the mishearing of a phrase that sounds the same as another phrase, but the words are different).
- The quote "YOU NO TAKE... COBBLE!" seems to be a reference to World of Warcraft, where one of the many races you find (known as Kobolds) will often say "YOU NO TAKE CANDLE!" when aggroed.
- Super Hostile mode only.
- Includes all the announced features without Super Hostile mode.
- Contains the features of both Blue and Red.