Minecraft: The Story of Mojang
December 22, 2012
Minecraft: The Story of Mojang is a 2012 documentary created by 2 Player Productions about the history and development of Mojang Studios. It was directed by Paul Owens and produced by Paul Levering, Peter De Bourcier and Burnie Burns, with additional funding given through a Kickstarter campaign. The movie was announced on February 21, 2011, was streamed on Xbox Live on December 22, 2012, and publicly released on other platforms, including The Pirate Bay, the next day.
The documentary follows Minecraft developer Mojang through the development process of the game. The film also features insights from many people in the video gaming industry to discuss the popularity influence of Minecraft. Interviews from Persson and other Mojang employees give an insight on creation and expansion of the studio.
Kickstarter page and pledges
2 Player Productions accepted pledges from people over the web through a service called Kickstarter. These pledges were the money that 2 Player Productions used to fund the movie. 2 Player Productions stopped accepting pledges on Saturday, Mar 26, 2:49 am EDT. In the end, they got exactly $210,297, more than 140% of the $150,000 goal. There were only 3,631 backers, meaning that the average pledge was around $58. All backers earned rewards. The type of reward corresponded with the amount of money pledged (pledging more money meant getting a bigger reward). On March 9, 2011, 2 Player Production reached their goal by exceeding $150,000. The day after, some people unbacked, meaning they get their money back and the total amount of money earned dropped to $145,000. After that, the amount gradually grew, taking a leap on the last day, when last-minute backers pledged. 2 Player Productions posted a long backer-only update thanking everyone.
|Pledge $1 or more||All donations receive a special digital backer kit, as well as exclusive access to the production blog through the course of development.|
|Pledge $15 or more||A digital download of the film's soundtrack, and your name in a special "thank you" section of the credits.|
|Pledge $30 or more||A special, two-disc "Supporter Edition" DVD of the finished film with packaging unique to this campaign, a digital download of the film's soundtrack, and your name in the credits.|
|Pledge $60 or more||2 Player-autographed "Supporter Edition" DVD, a physical copy of the film's soundtrack (with exclusive bonus tracks/remixes), an exclusive "Creeper" wind-up toy, and your name in the credits.|
|Pledge $100 or more||A custom poster print of Minecraft scenery suitable for framing, the 2PP-autographed DVD, a physical copy of the soundtrack, the "Creeper" toy, and your name in the credits.|
|Pledge $250 or more||A custom poster print of Minecraft scenery suitable for framing signed and numbered by Markus "Notch" Persson, the 2PP-autographed DVD, a physical copy of the soundtrack, the "Creeper" toy, and your name in the credits.|
|Pledge $350 or more||A Minecraft video of your creation (limit to 15 seconds) to be played in the film's credits, a custom poster print of Minecraft scenery signed and numbered by Notch, the 2PP-autographed DVD, a physical copy of the soundtrack, the "Creeper" toy, and your name in the credits. Only 19 people can get this reward|
|Pledge $500 or more||Exclusive "Box Pig" piggy bank, a custom poster print of Minecraft scenery signed and numbered by Notch, the 2PP-autographed DVD, a physical copy of the soundtrack, the "Creeper" toy, and your name in the credits.|
|Pledge $2,500 or more||An actual pickaxe mounted on a custom display stand signed by the staff of Mojang Studios, the "Box Pig" bank, a custom poster print of Minecraft scenery signed and numbered by Notch, the collector's edition of the DVD, a physical copy of the soundtrack, the "Creeper" toy, and your name in the credits.|
|Pledge $10,000 or more||Executive Producer credit in film and profile creation on IMDB. Invitation to spend a day at Mojang studios and attend the office grand opening party in Stockholm (air fare to Stockholm and accommodations are the responsibility of the backer). Everything else listed in the rewards.|
- There is a splash text in Minecraft that says "Woo, 2pp!". This is a reference to 2 Player Productions, the company producing the Minecraft movie.
- The proof-of-concept video announced the possible future release of scarecrows as a mob.
- The idea of the snow golem was first mentioned in the 20 minute version of the proof-of-concept movie.
- On the 22 of December 2012 (when Minecraft: The Story of Mojang was streamed on Xbox Live), 2 Player Productions uploaded the film to The Pirate Bay, stating "We wanted to come here first because we knew the movie would end up here eventually..." in the description.
- "@NoiseLove should be the 22nd-ish this month. We'll make an announcement when it's all figured out." – @2PProductions, December 8, 2012
- "Minecraft" (archived) – 2 Player Productions.
- "(Official) Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (Pt. 2/2) - Proof of Concept for Feature-Length"– 2PlayerProductions on YouTube, February 20, 2011
- "Minecraft: The Story of Mojang is on The Pirate Bay (On Purpose)" by Mike Rougeau – Kotaku, December 22, 2012.
- Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2pp/minecraft-the-story-of-mojang
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/minecraftmovie