Minecraft: The Movie
|Planned release date||
Minecraft: The Movie is an upcoming live-action Swedish-American film based on the video game Minecraft. It is being written by Allison Schroeder and directed by Peter Sollett. Originally slated to be released on March 4, 2022 by Warner Bros. Pictures, the release date is now unknown due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
The fact that a "Minecraft Movie" may be created was revealed on February 28, 2014 by Notch, when he posted on Twitter that Mojang Studios' partnership with Warner Bros. about a Minecraft film was being leaked. Script work began on March 2, 2014.
On October 8, 2014, Vu Bui stated that the movie was in "its early days of development", saying that it was a "large-budget production". He also stated that it might not be released until 2018. Later that same month, Shawn Levy was announced as the director for the film, but left the project along with Kieran and Michele Mulroney, who were serving as writers, due to scheduling conflicts.
On June 27, 2016, Mojang Studios announced the title and release date for "Minecraft: The Movie" by showing the front cover of the script and publicly announcing a release date of May 24, 2019. On October 13, 2016, it was announced that Jason Fuchs would be writing the script.
On August 3, 2018, the director Rob McElhenney and the writer Jason Fuchs dropped out of the project and were replaced by duo Aaron and Adam Nee. The release date was also pushed back to an unknown date.
On January 3, 2019, it was announced that Jim Berney has been appointed for the film's visual effects. Later that same month, it was announced that Peter Sollett would write and direct the film, with Jon Berg being added as a producer, and Jon Spaihts being added as an executive producer. The plot synopsis was also revealed.
On April 16, 2019, the Minecraft staff announced that the movie would be released on March 4, 2022, stating that it would take such a long time because "making a live-action, full-length feature film is really complicated."
The film was originally scheduled to be released on May 24, 2019 by Warner Bros. Pictures, but was then pushed back to an unknown release date, before settling on March 4, 2022. On October 5, 2020, the release was once again pushed back to an unknown date due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- "The Minecraft movie is just around the corner" – Minecraft.net, April 16, 2019
- "Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie. I wanted to be the leak!" – @notch, February 28, 2014
- First The Lego Movie, And Now Minecraft – TIME, February 28, 2014
- Minecraft movie will be 'large-budget' but unlikely to arrive before 2017 – The Guardian, October 9, 2014
- Shawn Levy Boards ‘Minecraft’ Movie – Deadline Hollywood, October 16, 2014
- Shawn Levy Leaves Warner Bros.’ ‘Minecraft’ Film (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety, December 9, 2014
- We’ve chosen a director for the Minecraft movie! – Mojang Studios, July 21, 2015
- The Minecraft movie has a release date! – Mojang Studios, June 27, 2016
- ‘Wonder Woman’ Scribe Jason Fuchs to Write Latest Draft of ‘Minecraft’ (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety, October 13, 2016
- Peter Sollett to Direct Warner Bros.’ ‘Minecraft’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety, January 11, 2019
- ‘Minecraft’ Movie Delayed: Rob McElhenney Out as Director, Nee Brothers Tapped to Write (Exclusive) – The Wrap, August 3, 2018
- Minecraft: The Movie after Significant Delays Finds its Visual Effects Supervisor – Miami Morning Star, January 5, 2019
- 'Frozen 2' Writer Allison Schroeder Tackling 'Minecraft' Movie (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter, June 24, 2019
- Steve Carell in Talks to Join ‘Minecraft’ Movie at Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety, November 15, 2016
- 'The Batman' Delays Release to 2022 as Warner Bros. Shuffles Calendar – The Hollywood Reporter, October 5, 2020