Java Edition mentioned features
Since the beginning of Minecraft's development, there have been a number of features that were mentioned by Mojang Studios developers. These features are either currently planned for the next update, but have not yet appeared in a development version, or have simply been dropped or forgotten about.
Note that this page only documents features that were mentioned, but are not yet in the game. Features in development versions are described on the parent version page.
- 1 Planned
- 2 Partially implemented
- 3 Mentioned
- 3.1 Mobs
- 3.2 Audio loops
- 3.3 Branches
- 3.4 Cave and underground features
- 3.5 Friends list
- 3.6 Inventory changes
- 3.7 Lua scripting
- 3.8 Nether features
- 3.9 Rare tools/weapons
- 3.10 Resource packs
- 3.11 Seasons
- 3.12 Spike block
- 3.13 Steel
- 3.14 Workbench (Plugin API)
- 3.15 Off-hand changes
- 3.16 Brief mentions
- 4 Joke features
- 5 References
These features are planned to come to Minecraft sometime in the future, in an update that has not yet been determined.
A new combat system is currently in development which will only allow the player to attack when their weapon is fully charged among other changes.
Fletching table functionality
- Deserts will be given palm trees, oases, and meerkats.
- Savannas will be given baobab trees, termites, and ostriches.
- Mountains will be given goats, a new type of snow, and better terrain generation.
- Badlands will be given vultures, tumbleweed, and a new type of cacti.
- Swamps will be given frogs, mangrove trees, and a new type of boat.
Super Fancy graphics
Docm77 confirmed in a tweet that sometime in the future, a new graphics setting will be added to Minecraft called "super fancy". It is unknown whether it is the "Fabulous!" graphics setting added in 1.16 Pre-release 1 or another new one. This could also be a reference to the upcoming ray tracing functionality being added to Minecraft or the scrapped Super Duper Graphics Pack.
A new Java Edition rendering pipeline called Blaze3D has been confirmed many times by Searge. There are also many references to this system in the game files, although it has not been functionally implemented.
Phasing out of NBT-based crafting recipes
In Java Edition 1.14, numerous new blocks were implemented as replacements for certain "complex" crafting recipes, with the replaced crafting recipes relying on NBT data. This included moving inventory tool repair to the grindstone, banner modification to the loom, and map modification to the cartography table. However, several more NBT based crafting recipes still exist, and these are planned to be phased out. Certain blocks that may be added in the future to further this goal include a dedicated fireworks customization block.
In Java Edition 1.14.3, tool repair crafting recipes were reimplemented.
Full split of liquids from blocks
Java Edition 1.13 added waterlogging, marking the start of this separation. An in-development screenshot showing water occupying leaves and flowers, referred to as having "no water blocks", was released in 2018. However, water and lava still exist as blocks, and so far only water sources can occupy other blocks through the waterlogged block state; flowing water and bubble columns cannot occupy other blocks and still and flowing lava cannot occupy other blocks at all.
These features had been shown by a Mojang staff member, but had no further development or were canceled shortly after.
|Sky||A hidden biome before Java Edition Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4, this biome was exclusive to, and the sole biome of the Sky Dimension. It would generate floating islands with oceans of air surrounding them. Trees were uncommon. No weather occurred here. It had small patches of snow, although it would not accumulate again. It had green with some extra blue hue for foliage colors. This biome was introduced in Java Edition Beta 1.6 along with the Sky Dimension itself. While the Sky Dimension was removed, its biome and associated terrain generation were repurposed for use in The End.|
|Ice Desert (corner case biome)||A biome in the code before Java Edition Beta 1.8 that was supposed to generate at maximum coldness and dryness, but did not actually generate due to bugs. It was a biome of sand with snow on top of it and had snowfall and ice.|
Colored wood planks
Dinnerbone briefly thought about implementing colored wood planks, releasing a test image on his Twitter page. This however never got implemented, as can be seen from the following quotes. The idea was eventually replaced with stained clay.
|— Dinnerbone on Colored Wood Planks|
Before stone slabs were added to 0.26, Notch ran a test of dirt slabs. In the test, they replaced dirt blocks, so that dirt surface without grass was half a block lower than grass. However, dirt slabs failed to dress cliff edges, caves, and ravines nicely. Because of this, they were never added to the actual game and were only mentioned once. They replaced all dirt blocks and did not grow grass on top similar to coarse dirt.
The Sky Dimension was a planned dimension, intended to be the opposite of the Nether. It could be accessed using hacks, but portals to the Sky Dimension were never implemented. The idea was ultimately scrapped and its code was reused to make the End. The End has a purple sky, no clouds, and the floating island are made entirely of end stone.
These features were mentioned at one point, but later abandoned or their current status is unknown. Note that some of these features were mentioned by developers who either no longer work at Mojang, or no longer work on Minecraft.
There have been several cases of mobs being mentioned by developers as potential candidates for being added to the game, such as a 2012 mention of birds, fish and tree animals by Jon Kågström, to "make the game seem more alive", with parrots and four different fish mobs were added in 2017 and 2018, respectively.
Hamsters were also mentioned by Notch in 2010 as a brief, mysterious, unserious suggestion as to what could have been in the then-upcoming Seecret Friday update.
Notch mentioned prefix mobs in a Brocraft stream. He gave examples of mobs such as "Burning Spiders, Giant Zombies, and Cobble Creepers." Some prefix mobs have been added in the form of cave spiders, charged creepers, strays, husks, drowned, and other mob variants. Giant zombies have technically been added, but are currently unused. In the 3D Shareware April Fools update, the ORDER.txt jokingly mentions "11 new enemy variants including Buff Crepper and Evilshroom II" for a fake game: "MineCraft 3D: Deeper and darker."
Notch commented that Sea Monsters are a possibility on Minecast, 7/21/2010. He particularly noted the possibility of sharks, though Mojang has since then denied that they will be added. In a Minecon vote in 2017, a sea creature was one of the options. It was known as "mob A" or "Monster of the Ocean Depths." It would have spawned in deep water and attack you with a tentacle-like tongue and pull you down to drown you.
Two other creatures in the Minecon vote of 2017 were given. One was "mob D, The Hovering Inferno." It would have looked like a large blaze with shields instead of rods, and would have spawned with groups of blazes in the nether. The other mob was "mob C, The Great Hunger." It would have had a large mouth capable of removing enchantments from items and would have camouflaged itself by entering the ground with it's mouth open upwards. Mob B/Monster of the Night Skies was the phantom which has been added.
Development of a male mob which may have had no clothes was also mentioned by Dinnerbone in 2012, but this is not currently being worked on. This could have been the removed pigman, though Jon Kågström hinted at a monkey-like creature which could have been this.
Reindeer were another mob acknowledged and suggested initially for Christmas 2015.
A mob which camouflages with its environment was a concept considered by Jeb when designing the shulker, which was originally one of the mob's mechanics during development - the mob would camouflage with the surroundings, but due to difficulties with the code and rendering, he decided to abandon this element of the mob. He stated however that it may happen in the future.
In 2017, a jocular suggestion regarding adding more types of illagers was posted. One of them, the Pillager, has been implemented in Java Edition 1.14. In Minecraft Dungeons, there is a mob in a DLC called the Chillager.
Soul Fire Blazes were talked about by Jeb. He stated that he doesn't want to make another mob variant, but that it would be interesting to make a mob connected to soul fire.
Notch revealed during the 8th Seecret Friday Update that he would add dragons, one being the ender dragon, the other being red dragons. Jeb informed participants of his AMA on Reddit that he would add red dragons, but was unsure exactly how.
When questioned about how ender dragons phase through blocks, Notch went on record saying that dragons in the Overworld would eventually be added. However, the red dragon has not subsequently been added.
On October 22, 2013, Dinnerbone tweeted that the red dragon is "shelved" and not in development.
|— Dinnerbone |
Later, on December 15, 2013, a Dinnerbone post on Reddit indicated his belief that red dragons likely will be implemented at some point:
Cave and underground features
Many features relating to the underground and caves have been mentioned historically, but are yet to be seen in-game. An extremely early example of this was crystal blocks, a type of material which could be found in large underground deposits. Later suggestions which were approved by Mojang include rainbow crystalline caves and cave maps, considered "an interesting idea" by Notch. 1.13 added buffet worlds, which has an option for cave-like generation.
More ores and cave types was a general target proposed by Dinnerbone in late 2013. Since this post, flooded underwater caves have been implemented, along with 1.16 adding ancient debris and nether gold ore some six years later.
Notch mentioned on his blog, The Word of Notch, that friends lists would be added after Beta 1.8. The Minecraft documentary team of 2 Player Productions filmed a Keynote roadmap, containing these lines. Kristoffer mentioned on Twitter that he is currently working on friends lists for Scrolls, then for other Mojang games. These will be available for players with Mojang accounts. At MineCon 2012 Jeb stated that it would be a large implementation on the server side and will be used for all Mojang games, and that is a big project.
An inventory rewrite was originally added in the snapshot 14w17a for Java Edition 1.8, but a roadblock was hit and they had to shelve it before the release of 1.8. Other changes to the inventory have been mentioned, including spectators can now look at people's inventory, visible health/armor bar on all players, seeing players' GUI when spectating from their POV and the return of shift-double-clicking.
Lua Scripting was a feature mentioned by Notch as a way to create server side modifications. The server would be able to create custom commands, assign certain server functions to blocks, and create user groups. Players would not have to download scripts within or outside of the client, and therefore no client-side modifications will be necessary. Notch said that he wanted Lua to be an extension for Minecraft, but did not want Lua to turn Minecraft into a game engine.
Multiple features relating to the Nether have been proposed and acknowledged, such as utilizing the space above the Nether ceiling for something else, non-rectangular nether portals, and nether portals placing players in front if possible.
During the development of the Nether Update, other ideas were discussed, such as dyeable nether portals, which were dismissed as not being priority by Jeb, as well as in-game hints on how to access the Nether (partially implemented with naturally generated ruined portals).
Dinnerbone said on Twitter he would like to add weapons/tools that cannot be crafted, and only obtained by treasure chests/trading, etc. For example, bows with faster drawback (somewhat implemented with the addition of Quick Charge), boots that increase health, or night vision helmets. However, the attribute system has to be finished first.
Frost Walker and Mending were implemented as treasure enchantments in 1.9 as well as the Curses of Binding and Vanishing in 1.11, and tridents have been implemented in 1.13 as drowned-exclusive weapons, somewhat implementing this feature. In 1.16, treasure enchantments have also been made less accessible (therefore more rare) via nerfing AFK fishing, and the new piglin-exclusive enchantment Soul Speed exists.
Ryan Holtz stated that he wanted to improve the rendering system to allow for customizable models and animations. Dinnerbone later stated that player models would not be able to be changed.
Dinnerbone mentioned on Twitter that he was experimenting with adding seasons, and varying the length of day and night according to season. He also mentioned it during MineCon 2013. Seasons may include changes in color of tree leaves and may also be tied to real time.
Spikes received a mention in mid-2009 by Notch in a blog post. These were originally planned for Java Edition Beta 1.7, working by extending and retracting spikes (and making them more "spike pistons" than anything), but were replaced by sticky pistons. On May 28, 2012, Dinnerbone stated that he'd like to add spike blocks, but is unsure of how to implement them.
Multiple references to steel were made early on in the game's development. Notch had stated that it could be made using coal and iron ore, and that it could be used for armor and weapons more powerful than iron. In-game, the flint and steel is crafted using raw iron.
Workbench (Plugin API)
The Plugin API, dubbed "Workbench", is a feature that allows mod developers to easily add more content to the game. In contrast to mods, plugins will not require any alteration of the minecraft.jar file itself, although they will also be slightly limited in their feature set. The Bukkit team will help make the official Plugin API.
Changes with the off-hand slot added in Java Edition 1.9 were planned on being added to Minecraft sometime in the future. Specifically, the player would no longer be able to attack or place blocks with any item in their off-hand slot, similar to Bedrock Edition. However, players would still be able to hold items in the off-hand slot, which still made the off-hand useful for maps and such. Also, blocking would still be able to be activated if the player is holding a shield in their off-hand. However, this regression was later retracted due to massive community backlash.
These features were briefly mentioned, but no further information was given after that.
- Partially implemented: More structures in biomes. Since this was mentioned, woodland mansions, End cities, shipwrecks, underwater ruins, pillager outposts, and bastion remnants have been implemented.
- More dimensions. Implemented in the April Fools' update Java Edition 20w14∞. In the Minecraft snapshot 20w21a, the ability to make custom dimensions was added.
- Partially implemented: More rare structures and terrain changes. Partially added with Ice Spikes.
- Partially implemented: All exclusive Bedrock Edition features ported to Java Edition. See Official pages/Parity issue list for more info.
More specific features
- Mentioned in 2009
- In early development, Notch mentioned two more gamemodes, Team Survival Mode and Fortress Mode, which would include the ability to play Capture the Flag
- Mentioned in 2010
- Animated swinging doors
- Colliding clouds
- Server portals
- Dungeon Mode: Same as Survival Mode, except players can't craft or modify the world. Planned to have been used to play missions on pre-made maps. The later-implemented Adventure Mode functions similarly.
- "Clan" mode.
- Server-side scripting.
- Land claim flags: planting a flag (possibly costs gold in Survival mode) claims an area of land. No monsters can spawn or die from age in that area, and only selected players can build in that area.
- Smoke block: would be generated by fire, be passable, cast shadows, float upwards and disappear after a short time. 1.14 added campfires, which generate smoke particles similar to what was mentioned, but they are not blocks nor cast shadows.
- Gravity: all blocks except possibly obsidian would be affected by gravity. Floating islands would need obsidian veins to stay afloat. Notch later stated that he disliked the idea.
- More crafting templates: arrows, food, armor, etc. (Possibly added in Java Edition 1.14.)
- In-game anti-cheat: make the server check for flying, no clip and increased speed. Add those options to the client, but only enable if the server says it's okay.
- Make moss grow on rock (likely means that mossy cobblestone would spread to cobblestone)
- Mentioned in 2011
- The ability to choose what work saves to the level files
- Scarecrows. 1.14 added pillager outposts, which can generate a scarecrow-like target structure.
- Storing of achievements and statistics online
- Custom paintings
- Hand-drawn signs
- Exploding arrows. Partially implemented with the ability to shoot firework rockets from crossbows.
- Mentioned in 2012
- Vertical redstone
- Ability to design village buildings. Partially implemented with structure blocks.
- Silk Touch yielding double half slabs
- Ability to pause the game in multiplayer, but only for ops. Users will then get to chat until the game is back.
- Minecarts usable as boats
- Fallen trees (like what is currently in Bedrock Edition)
- More colors and texture pack customizations of maps
- Flower pots breaking when hit by arrows. This has been added for chorus flowers.
- Partially implemented: Fireworks having effects on mobs, such as scaring wolves. Implemented with elytra boosting and damaging mobs if explosive.
- Maps would have more support for colors and support Texturepack textures
- Mentioned in 2013
-  the image may have just been showcasing the custom tile displays in minecarts which were added in the next snapshot, 13w02a.
- Dinnerbone's original demonstration of the
.mcmetaformat for resource packs contained a sample properties file for fonts to determine character size and spacing. Despite the game code containing the code to read the files, it never actually uses them leaving character width and spacing to be determined dynamically.
- Enchanted items apply attributes on use.
- Cherry trees
- Adding more places to display scoreboard scores.
- Colored lighting
- A better UI for server admins/ops, inspired by the twitch user moderation menu.
- A resource pack-related feature that allows improved Russian font display
- Better construction analysis
- Partially implemented: A new system that could alter weapon behavior.
- This has been partially implemented in Java Edition 15w34a, with the implementation of attack speed
- Easier way to implement terrain changes
- Portable light (e.g. holding a torch in your hand which provides light).
- A hug animation
- Blocks of charcoal, mentioned as something that would need to be implemented as to not complicate the existence of coal blocks
- Mentioned in 2014
- Improved camera controls
- Dinnerbone has stated he has an "Ultimate Plan" with endermites that might include the dragon egg.
- Rewriting the key bind system.
- Building a custom sound system.
- Sheep showing their color when shorn, like the Bedrock Edition
- Multithreaded terrain generation rendering.
- Fixes to chunk loading.
- JSON support on signs and possibly implementing a way to "make it work in survival". Searge later said "The plan is to eventually have every text that can be displayed on the screen use the text component system, then using § won't be necessary anymore."
- Another rabbit skin
- Ryan Holtz originally mentioned adding a slider for cloud height, though he later stated the idea was controversial among the team so he scrapped it.
- Using the killer rabbit killing mobs for something.
- Mesa temple
- A marker entity.
- Being able to make the world border's center slowly move
- Mentioned in 2015
- In game lore
- Making it so shields are used to block attacks from the side the shield is held on.
- Allowing mobs to have additional random skins, similar to the kind of variation seen in horses, cats and rabbits.
/clonethe ability to rotate and mirror structures. Structure blocks were later given the ability to rotate structures.
- Minecart improvements after/in 1.10
- Improvements to the GUI. These would allow the glowing effect to be seen on the inventory player model.
- Mentioned in 2016
- Phasing out the minecart with furnace.
- New musician villager that trades note blocks, jukeboxes, and music discs.
- A Dragon Head banner pattern
- If a piston gets powered and is unable to push, showing a smoke particle effect and playing a small "clunk" sound
- If the bow used to craft a dispenser is enchanted, making the arrows fired from the dispenser to act accordingly
- Mentioned in 2017
- Ability to edit the skybox and biome/foliage/light colors in resource packs
- A set of prismarine blocks with a color scheme matching that of the Elder Guardian, similarly to how regular prismarine imitates normal Guardians.
- Mentioned in 2018
- Toggleable enchantment glows
- The return of Customized worlds, "completely different from before", with "no more screens with 50 vague sliders."
- Data-driven world generation using json files, allowing for custom structures. Partially added in snapshot 20w28a with the addition of experimental support for custom biomes.
- A portal that would teleport the player to a different place in the Overworld.
- Mentioned in 2019
- A crawling animation
- Illusioners in raids
- The early 1.15 snapshots included textures for a crystallized honey item and wax block, however these were allegedly not meant to make it into the game in the first place.
- Nether Portal like thing that will teleport the player to the Moon or Mars
- Nether boats, presumably made out of the new wood or netherite to use in lava. Striders serve a similar purpose.
- Mentioned in 2020
- A soul blaze or a mob connecting to the soul fire.
- Mentioned in 2021
Notch and other Mojang AB employees have frequently joked about adding various features to the game.
- Searge jokingly stated that due to the fact that people didn't dislike the changes in the 15w42a snapshot, he would add a fuel requirement to crafting tables.
- Koalas in tanks riding on planes with laser rifles was jokingly added to the "maybe later" list by Searge.
- Hot dogs.
- Herobrine. In every new major Minecraft update like Halloween Update, Adventure Update, Pretty Scary Update, Redstone Update, Horse Update, The Update That Changed The World, The Bountiful Update, The Combat Update, The Frostburn Update, The Exploration Update, The World of Color Update, Update Aquatic, Village & Pillage, and Buzzy Bees, it says "removed Herobrine", but Herobrine was never implemented. This has also appeared in the changelog for Scrolls version 0.103.0.
- When Hardcore mode was announced, a joke screenshot of "Ultra Hardcore Mode" was shown, where death would revoke an account's premium status.
- Jeb joked about adding chips if 100% of the community agreed on what type the chips would be.
- Jeb joked about adding more types of dragons. In response, MissMarzenia joked "DRAGONS CONFIRMED."
- Marc joked about adding Top Hats for 1.4.
- Partially implemented: A snapshot named 12marc40awesome containing various joke features such as volcanoes, more dragons, coral, fish, and fish blocks. Partially added in Java Edition 1.13 with fish and corals.
- Pine cones.
- Dinnerbone joked about adding dwarves when asked about it.
- A texture known in the game files as "skis.png", was added in the Christmas/New Year update. Its textures were added by Dinnerbone as a red herring.
- SethBling mentioned a downside of command blocks on one of his livestreams, and Dinnerbone joked about removing command blocks to accommodate him.
- Dinnerbone joked that Minecraft pizza would be a good idea to add, and as a joke KrisJelbring stated that pizza is confirmed to be added.
- After the announcement of pillagers, Dinnerbone and Jeb joked about several more villager portmanteaus:
- Drillager: he comes and pokes holes in things.
- Fillager: he fixes the previous guys stuff.
- Thrillager: really likes heights and scary things.
- Killager: but we kinda already have that.
- Spillager: prevents you from drinking potions.
- Stillager: just stands around blocking important doorways.
- Millager: the only hard working one of the bunch.
- Krillager: Swims around and gets eaten by whales
- Mojang has made several April Fools jokes:
- In 2011, the locked chest or "Steve Co. Supply Crate" was temporarily added which "allowed" various micro-transactions in the game.
- In 2013, Mojang released Minecraft 2.0 which contained features such as pink withers and redstone bugs.
- In 2014, the default sounds were replaced with a voice (specifically, that of ElementAnimation, a famous YouTuber group known for making several popular videos about Minecraft) saying the name of the sound's source, the music was replaced with a rendition of the title theme of the TV series Game of Thrones (consisting of the word "door" repeated to the tune of the music), and everyone's skins were replaced with modified versions of the villager textures, edited to fit the player model. This was all blamed on the villagers.
- In 2015, Mojang released 15w14a, which made all the mobs in the game friendly and loving.
- In 2016, Mojang released 1.RV-Pre1, which added trendy items of 2016.
- In 2017, the Mine & Craft Digital Leisure Device was announced on the Minecraft website.
- In 2018, Mojang released an 8-bit resource pack to 1.12.x and versions from 17w43a to 18w11a clients.
- In 2019, Mojang released 3D Shareware v1.34, which changed the game's visual style to resemble 1990s video games.
- In 2020, Mojang released 20w14∞, which added over 2 billion new dimensions.
- Henrik Kniberg showcased dancing hoglins on Twitter while implementing such a dance for piglins for Bedrock parity. The hoglin dance was a blooper which will not be implemented.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 19w11b" – Minecraft.net, March 12, 2019
- "Not in 1.15 and I can't promise anything for 1.16 either I'm afraid." – @MiaLem_n, September 30, 2019
- "No. We will not be adding functionality to the fletching table in 1.16" – @helenangel
- "It will not be like last year where one biome gets updated but the rest don't- instead the vote is just choosing which biome will get updated first but all of those biomes will get updated." – u/HelenAngel on Reddit, September 17, 2018
- "We haven't forgot about them :)" – @_ladyagnes, September 17, 2019
- "Some time this year" – @jeb_, January 12, 2020
- "But mountains will come in a later update." – @MiaLem_n, September 28, 2019
- "There will be a new grafics setting in Minecraft. There will be a "fancy" and "super fancy" setting. Also the combat system will get an overhaul. #MinecraftCreatorSummit2018" – @docm77, May 30, 2018
- "We actually already have ideas for a block like this, but it's not likely to be done for this update sorry! We're trying to move all "complex" recipes out of the crafting table and into a specialized mechanic, as it's basically impossible to teach players about banner patterns or fireworks charges. Thanks for the ideas! <3" by /u/Dinnerbone. Reddit, October 28, 2018.
- "I should start a blooper twitter account. In other news, there is no "minecraft:water" blocks in this world - and that's why trees and flowers are taking a bath." – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2018
- Replying to "will you be able to place water in only 1 side/quarter of glass panes?": "One day, maybe! Not right now though sorry." – @Dinnerbone, March 8, 2018
- "Taking a small break from launcherstuffs to doodle around with funstuffs. Would this be of use to anybody?" – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2013
- "Arbitrary response guage: 30% "please no" 80% "yes please". Yes, that's 110%. I don't even know." – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2013
- "Okay okay, no coloured wood. How about something completely different?" – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2013
- wordofnotch:220243988 "Half-sized blocks (all dirt tiles, so it kinda gets slow) and rain!" – The Word of Notch, October 22, 2009
- "And because PC Gamer made such a big deal of the sky dimension, I guess I'll have to finish it. Consider it confirmed." – @notch, May 19, 2011
- "Notch Answers Minecraft 1.8 Questions - Community Questions for Markus (Notch) Persson" – OmniTechNews, September 1, 2011 – via YouTube
- "It has been rebranded to be The End realm" – @jeb_, October 12, 2011
- "Probably, yes. :D I love the idea. The Ether mod does it great, try it." – @notch, November 10, 2011
- "No we don't plan to return the Sky Dimension" – @jeb_, July 2, 2012
- "We have no plans to revisit the skylands" – @Dinnerbone, July 3, 2012
- "I'vent look at this yet and can't really tell at the moment. I would like to add birds, fish and tree animals to make it more alive. However this will take some time before it can be done." – u/jonkagstrom on Reddit, April 13, 2012
- [wordofnotch:941853083 "Tomorrow, I will do a seecret friday update. Ooooh! I wonder what it could be? Perhaps hamsters? Perhaps turnips? Who knows!?"] – The Word of Notch, August 12, 2010
- MINECON Earth 2017
- "Coding some new mobstuffs. This is hilarious. He has no clothes! :(" – @Dinnerbone, August 13, 2012
- "Working on a very old but popular minecraft suggestion that keeps popping up every so often; I put my new mob on hold for now." – @Dinnerbone, August 14, 2012
- "@123sendodo No. I've shelved that mob for now." – @Dinnerbone, September 14, 2012
- "Next xmas?" – u/jeb_ on Reddit, December 14, 2014
- "MINECON 2015 Upcoming Features" – Minecraft, July 30, 2015 – via YouTube
- "Just posting this here so you don't think we nicked the idea from the community: There is a "Pillager" illager on our planned TODO list. It's not going to be a pirate, though." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, March 27, 2017
- "Other ones we considered:
• Drillager, he comes and pokes holes in things.
• Fillager, he fixes the previous guys stuff.
• Thrillager, really likes heights and scary things.
• Killager, but we kinda already have that.
• Spillager, prevents you from drinking potions.
• Stillager, just stands around blocking important doorways.
• Millager, the only hard working one of the bunch." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, March 27, 2017
- "• Krillager - Swims around and gets eaten by whales" – u/jeb_ on Reddit, March 27, 2017
- "Meet the Vindicator" – Minecraft.net, June 20, 2017
- "who knows what the future may hold." – @the_t_pearson, March 11, 2018
- "After release, I will totally work on slightly less dangerous dragons that don't destroy terrain and can land and whatnot. They will be red." – @notch, October 12, 2011
- "Well since Notch more or less promised red dragons, I think I need to add them. I'm just not sure how yet..." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, April 9, 2012
- "It was never promised, we have no plans to add a red dragon at this time." – @Dinnerbone, October 22, 2013
- "I'm sure one day there will be. Not right now though." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, December 18, 2013
- [wordofnotch:522979105 "(too many) Monsters in infdev and further reports"] – The Word of Notch, April 15, 2010
- [wordofnotch:110762705 "Crystal (not sure if it has a use, but imagine finding a large slab of crystal under ground!)"] – The Word of Notch, May 21, 2009
- "Rainbow Crystalline Caves and how" (archived) – Mojang Get Satisfaction, February 7, 2011.
- "@OhHaiMe It will not update if you leave the map area. It only maps the top level now, but cave maps is an interesting idea.." – @notch, April 27, 2011
- "Yes." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, December 18, 2013
- [wordofnotch:6969771554 "Back in the office, and some words on 1.7 and 1.8!"] – The Word of Notch, June 27, 2011
- "(Official) Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (Pt. 2/2) - Proof of Concept for Feature-Length" – 2PlayerProductions, February 20, 2011 – via YouTube
- "yes, eventually!" – @notch, June 5, 2011
- "I'm currently working on making friends lists possible for Mojang accounts. It will be used in #scrolls (and later in our other games too)." – @kristoffer, June 11, 2013
- "Future Updates with the Minecraft PC Team - MineCon 2012" – GameSpot, November 25, 2012 – via YouTube
- "We never finished that. We hit a roadblock with the inventory rewrite, and had to shelve it because we couldn't figure out how to proceed nicely." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, April 9, 2015
- "I'll add that, but no promises it'll be done for this weeks snapshot" – @Dinnerbone, January 29, 2014
- "Okay, I decided not to do "spectating through other players eyes shows you their UI" because that's a little hard right now. :(" – @Dinnerbone, January 29, 2014
- "Yeah, that should be trivial to add in properly now!" – @Dinnerbone, February 12, 2014
- "It's a pain in the ass to test though! Rather pushing the limits of what we're mocking sofar, planned to implement for tomorrow :)" – u/_Grum on Reddit, February 12, 2014
- [wordofnotch:140842759 "Throwing in many more hours, and survival mode plans"] – The Word of Notch, July 13, 2009
- "@crash_nick Likely not, but I was considering reusing that space for something else!" – @Dinnerbone, September 26, 2012
- "This feels too cliche..." – @Dinnerbone, September 10, 2013
- "For 1.8.4 this will be fixed just by keeping the player in the portal block, but this is not ideal and it should make sure we can place them outside if it's a "preferable" spot (ie: not a drop into lava). This will be fixed fully in a later release." – Dinnerbone, April 17, 2015
- "One thing I'd really love to add into Minecraft is special weapons/tools you can find exploring or trading, that aren't normally obtainable." – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "Like a bow that has faster drawback, for example. But the attribute system needs so much work first!" – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "That's what I'm thinking, finding boots that increase (or maybe even decrease!) health - special and unique stuff" – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "The idea is these kind of things will be passive "buffs" that things can give you" – @Dinnerbone, March 3, 2014
- "Oh, I also made the color of sheep and chat customisable through ResourcePacks. Might be in the next snapshot." – @_grum, February 2, 2014
- "Agreed. I'll say it here and now though, my end goal for the MC renderer is to have a skeletal animation system (1/2)" – @TheMogMiner, April 13, 2014
- "(2/2) where you can drop in rigs and animations like that just as easily as textures or block models. :)" – @TheMogMiner, April 13, 2014
- "Yes. But not player models." – @Dinnerbone, July 13, 2014
- "Here's one thing I've been tinkering with but not added yet: Minecraft day cycles (potentially seasons). 500 days in a year, shorter nights?" – @Dinnerbone, April 15, 2013
- "It was never said to be for 1.6 :)" – @Dinnerbone, May 19, 2013
- https://youtube.com/watch?v=wPSVJHVL6TA&t=6h32m47s [dead link]
- http://www.twitch.tv/mojang/b/475864771?t=6h17m17s[dead link]
- [wordofnotch:110762705 "Spikes (not 100% sure about this)"] – The Word of Notch, May 21, 2009
- "I want to add them, I'm just not sure how they'd look or function that best suits the game" – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- [wordofnotch:110762705 "Coal (Combine with iron ore for steel!)"] – The Word of Notch, May 21, 2009
- [wordofnotch:123343045 "My vision for survival"] – The Word of Notch, June 14, 2009
- "Re-decided on the whole "mods" vs "plugins" thing. Again. It's really definite this time; it's probably still "plugins"!" – @Dinnerbone, March 27, 2012
- "The Future of Minecraft: what lies ahead for the all-conquering sandbox game?" by Marsh Davies. PC Gamer, November 11, 2012.
- "The big issue I have with calling them mods is that there will still be actual mods modifying the game files, not really compatible." – @Dinnerbone, March 27, 2012
- Modding API: Modding API
- Modding API: Bukkit Developing API
- "Hey guys, I came second in the Minecon Earth costume contest. I was able to ask jeb_ some questions about 1.14 and Minecon. Heres his answers!" – u/Retro28 on Reddit, November 18, 2017
- "I would also like to see this. Terrain changes & big structures are hard though. On my big virtual to-do list is a way to make them easier to do." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, December 18, 2013
- "#PlayItForward Podcast: Ep06 - Dinnerbone" – PlayItForward, April 17, 2014 – via YouTube
- "@MCPENEWSINFO1 Yes, eventually. We are now working towards having the same game on all platforms" – @jeb_, April 4, 2015
- "Minecraft (alpha)" – Notch, May 17, 2009
- "The good part is that I can now have renderable TileEntities, so doors can animate swinging open and whatnot." – The Word of Notch, June 3, 2010
- "I have to say that this is amazing. It would be relatively trivial to add almost immediately, but blocks of clouds would pop in and out of existence if I did it the simple way. I will draw inspiration from this. Thank you, submitter." – u/xNotch on Reddit, November 18, 2010
- "That's cool, but it wouldn't really work well with unloaded chunks. Not without weird artifacts and things popping in when you move around, or a pile of hacks that fake all of that. You need to have the chunks with those mountains loaded to know where a 'rain shadow' is accurately.
If the whole world was loaded at all times, this would be easy. A lot of the limitations of Minecraft stem from having to deal with a chunked, dynamically loaded/unloaded world. Everything needs to be very 'local', because there's no global information." – u/peterix on Reddit, October 22, 2018
- "Server Portal" (archived) – Mojang Get Satisfaction, November 29, 2010.
- "Public To-Do List for Notch" (archived) – Toodledo.com.
- "@BIindRob no, I've stopped liking that idea. Not sure why." – @notch, October 20, 2010
- "The web server is struggling, we're migrating" – The Word of Notch, January 18, 2011
- "(Official) Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (Pt. 2/2) - Proof of Concept for Feature-Length" – 2PlayerProductions, February 20, 2011 – via YouTube – February 20, 2011
- "Minecraft Beta 1.5, and some thoughts on this blog" – The Word of Notch, April 19, 2011
- "The code I write to support that will also be possible to reuse in the future for things like books and notes written by players, and possibly even custom paintings/hand drawn signs." – The Word of Notch, April 27, 2011
- "Coding with Notch (from Minecraft: The Story of Mojang)" – 2PlayerProductions, November 21, 2011 – via YouTube
- "I haven't looked at this yet. I'm afraid it will add a lot of complexity to the redstone code, but it's definitely doable. It's one of those "later" things." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, April 4, 2012
- "Question: "Is there going to be an external folder we can just drop the 'schematics' in?" Answer: "That would have been very neat. Would also be cool if the schematics were online and shared automatically, kind of like Spore's creatures. On the question of when, I don't know."" – u/jeb_ on Reddit, April 4, 2012
- "Silk touch yields two single slabs from a double slab block, equivalent to normal pickaxe usage. This may or may not change. #Minecraft" – @EvilSeph, May 3, 2012
- "*If* we add it for multiplayer, it'd probably be an op-only /pause with an optional automatic pause when everyone's in a menu." – @Dinnerbone, May 4, 2012
- "@Puremin0rez Pause the whole server. Everyone would see a screen saying "the server is paused because so and so", with chat until unpaused" – @Dinnerbone, May 4, 2012
- "@JarGargon Some day, perhaps. Little tricky right now." – @Dinnerbone, July 9, 2012
- "In other news, here's something I was playing with after I ran out of bugfixes earlier. http://dinnerbone.com/media/uploads/2012-07/screenshots/2012-07-24_14-26-43.I81819362.png … (No, it's not in 12w30c!)" – @Dinnerbone, July 24, 2012
- "I'm considering a change to maps to allow them to support more colours and texpack customizations, but back-compat would be difficult... Hm." – @Dinnerbone, August 27, 2012
- "@Brail4 Hard to do "properly". Working on it, but no guarantees." – @Dinnerbone, August 28, 2012
- "Fireworks don't affect any gameplay yet, but obviously wolves should be frightened (and maybe other things?)" – @jeb_, December 7, 2012
- "Episode 10 – "The Future of Minecraft" (at 1:47:20)" (archived) , September 1, 2014.
- "They're trying to take another village, so we used their tracks against them and sent in the turrets. I hope this works http://i.imgur.com/HXPKn.jpg " – @Dinnerbone, January 7, 2013
- "Font files will have all their data serialized out so that we don't break the font trying to figure everything out ourselves. Not yet implemented as of time of writing." – Dinnerbone, May 28, 2013
- "One of my goals of the new attribute system is to allow Bane of Arthropods to temporarily slow spiders on hit. Only then will I be happy." – @Dinnerbone, May 30, 2013
- "I would love to see (sharing this with millions of Japanese people?) cherry trees in Minecraft. http://youtu.be/C6xi9JMDv44 @jeb_ @Dinnerbone" – @pgeuder, July 29, 2013
- MINECON 2013 Day 1 at 05:56:50 – November 2, 2013
- "@BlackDragon17x I've actually done so in a separate branch, but it's buggy and needs work still. Won't say no, but don't expect it for 1.8." – @TheMogMiner, November 7, 2013
- "@WesCook There's plans to!" – @Dinnerbone, November 19, 2013
- "@ShuraShpilkin not yet, but you just made me realise a nice feature I could add that should make that possible with a ResourcePack. Thanks!" – @_grum, December 1, 2013
- "Analyzing block placement creates some really hard-to-read and slow code... That's the main reason why a "village house" is just a door. We hope to add better systems for analyzing constructions in the future, but changing the bookshelf layout is not our main priority." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, December 17, 2013
- "Enchantment that changes blocking could be fun, but I think that could better fit a different system I hope to be working on soon." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, December 18, 2013
- "I hope so, but it's really taxing from a technical standpoint." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, December 18, 2013
- "Yes, with the plugin API. I'd love emotes, I'd love to include support for them (with animations) but they're tricky to do right now. I tell you what; I'll look into a hug animation when I can!" – u/dinnerbone on Reddit, December 19, 2013
- "No. Logical issues with crafting and destroying. There would have to be separate coal/charcoal blocks which isn't nice." – @Dinnerbone, April 5, 2013
- "@Tarvii Ain't done yet. Camera controls are on my list." – @Dinnerbone, January 30, 2014
- "I do have an Ultimate Plan™ with endermites, but it will wait. May also include dragon egg but I haven't discussed this with the team yet." – @Dinnerbone, March 13, 2014
- "@Brail4 No problem! We're rewriting the inventory system + the keybind system to make stuff like this possible, but I can't guarantee when.." – @Dinnerbone, March 20, 2014
- "@cazzar99 Which bug? Building our own soundengine is on the todo list :(" – @_grum, April 9, 2014
- "@stonepa11 Challenge accepted!" – @TheMogMiner, April 13, 2014
- "I hear you there. It would be nice to make the terrain generation and terrain rendering multithreaded, but the code isn't quite decoupled enough yet to make such a thing easy. It's somewhere on the road map, though." – u/TheMogMiner on Reddit, April 24, 2014
- "Yeah, chunk loading is a pretty personal bugbear for me. ..." – u/TheMogMiner on Reddit, June 7, 2014
- "@DtrollMcModder It's one of the things I'm looking into, actually! Thanks for your input, I'm glad people are looking forward to a fix. :)" – @TheMogMiner, June 6, 2014
- "Is this a thing? Not yet, but maybe in our next snapshot. Well, if we find anyone who actually likes this feature..." – @SeargeDP, June 9, 2014
- "It's not easy to make it work in survival, will discuss options tomorrow to see if we find a nice solution." – @SeargeDP, June 9, 2014
- "The plan is to eventually have every text that can be displayed on the screen use the text component system, then using § won't be necessary anymore. But that's still work in progress and I don't know exactly when we will finish this task." – u/Searge on Reddit, August 7, 2015
- "@TABII98_1911 Yup, can you send me a DM with the pictures?" – @TheMogMiner, July 12, 2014
- "@TABII98_1911 Probably not in this snapshot, but remind me on Friday." – @TheMogMiner, July 2, 2014
- "Yesh yesh y'all http://i.imgur.com/bgm4lpW.png" – @TheMogMiner, June 17, 2014
- "Well, I didn't think cloud height could possibly be controversial among the team, but it is, so out it goes. Sorry for getting hopes up." – @TheMogMiner, June 17, 2014
- "@docm77 that's not how it works, but I'll write down the idea for something else I plan to add eventually :)" – @SeargeDP, July 23, 2014
- "@cyruschan2003 Maybe one day" – @jeb_, August 7, 2014
- "Armorstands as position markers, with Small, Nogravity and Invisible set to true, DisabledSlots set to 31. Until we have something better." – @SeargeDP, August 25, 2014
- "@joshnoodle98 No idea what you are doing, but I'm definitely hinting at a marker entity in the future." – @SeargeDP, August 25, 2014
- "OAuth is still on our todo list, but it's not a high priority right now (or rather, we have a bunch of higher priority things which need to come first) sorry" – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, November 25, 2014
- "Question: @Dinnerbone Is it or will it be possible to set the world border center-point to slowly move? Travelling UHC mode would be cool. Answer: @WorkdayLobster I do want to add this." – @Dinnerbone, April 24, 2014
- "@Spenny1425 Well, maybe not nachos, but corn could be a fun food source" – @jeb_, January 13, 2015
- "@searous Maybe, but we also like the mystery" – @jeb_, February 10, 2015
- "Minecon 2015 - Upcoming Features" – MinMax123, July 5, 2015 – via YouTube
- "MINECON 2015 The Minecraft Team: Behind the Scenes" – Minecraft August 10, 2015 – via YouTube
- "@JonpotTDS you can't use them, the functionality is disabled in release builds. Some of it will soon be added to /clone, but not in 15w31" – @SeargeDP, July 29, 2015
- "MINECON 2015 The Minecraft Team: Behind the Scenes" – Minecaft, August 10, 2015 – via YouTube
- "I have plans, prototyped them, ran into problems, might have a solution ... but can only work on it after the structural changes I want to do in 1.10 :D Also no spoilers! Though those would be fun on a minecart, along with some flame decals =D" – u/_Grum on Reddit, October 21, 2015
- "@alphaxseven @Dinnerbone @SeargeDP I think we will phase out the furnace minecraft" – @jeb_, February 15, 2016
- "I like this idea! That doesn't mean it will get added right now, though. Two issues; maybe a little too niche, and where would it live? ;)" – u/jeb_ on Reddit, May 16, 2016
- "If the dragon head block would have a banner pattern, what would it look like?" – @jeb_, November 30, 2016
- "Added to our minor polishing list." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, December 15, 2016
- "Added to our minor polishing list." – u/jeb_ on Reddit, December 15, 2016
- "I have a branch with a prototype for this somewhere, might have time to work on it for 1.13 :)" – u/_Grum on Reddit, April 20, 2017
- "Very cool! I'll pass this along. :)" – u/HelenAngel on Reddit, November 19, 2017
- "What if we made it a video option where you could turn on or off the enchantment glow?" – u/HelenAngel on Reddit, April 11, 2018
- "Customized worlds will be returning. I can't speak for the extra options you mentioned though." – u/AlmightyZing
"But after 1.13" – u/_Grum on Reddit, May 15, 2018
- "Would you really not consider holding off 1.13 until customised worlds are finished? Seems pretty crazy to set a precedent for the chance of losing features for several updates.
We came so close to having access to customising structures in world gen this update too, a shame that hasn't made the cut" – u/DaUltraMarine
"No, they will come back but completely different from before." – u/_Grum on Reddit, May 15, 2018
- "No customization until after 1.13, or the other things?" – u/Kobbett
"No more screens with 50 vague sliders indeed." – u/_Grum on Reddit, May 15, 2018
- "jebkaile - Mixer" . "We are changing the world generator. The actual world will more or less look the same, but the way it's generated, it's all data-driven, so you can make your own generator settings in json files."
- "MINECON Earth 2018 - The Minecraft Developers panel!" – Minecraft, October 2, 2018 – via YouTube
- "Ideally, yes" – @henrikkniberg, April 2, 2019
- "MINECON Live 2019" – Minecraft, September 28, 2019 – via YouTube
- "Ask Mojang Episode #4" by Per Landin. Minecraft.net, November 8, 2019
- Ask Mojang midsummer special with Jeb, June 17, 2020 - via YouTube
- "I tried really hard, but nobody seems to dislike the change so far. I failed, time to add a fuel requirement to crafting tables." – @SeargeDP, October 14, 2015
- "Koalas in tanks on airplanes with laser rifles? No, but I like the idea, let's put it on the "maybe later" list." – @SeargeDP, September 16, 2015
- "So obviously, hotdogs confirmed for 1.6" – @notch, April 25, 2011
- [wordofnotch:359769783 "Crafting and Mining in Minecraft"] – The Word of Notch, January 29, 2010
- "http://i.imgur.com/1DNGn.png" – @notch, September 23, 2011
- "I'll add chips when 100% of the community agrees they look like http://bit.ly/NKwXxu or like http://bit.ly/NKx0Jv" – @jeb_, August 24, 2012
- "DRAGONS CONFIRMED" – @jeb_, April 13, 2015
- "Tophats confirmed for 1.4!" – @Marc_IRL, September 17, 2012
- "Snapshot 12marc40awesome coming soon by our very own @Marc_IRL!" – @Dinnerbone, October 4, 2012
- "How many pine cones grow on a tree? This must be answered or no more work can be done." – @jeb_, October 25, 2012
- "Hey abrightmoore, next tuesday at around 8." – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, August 3, 2012
- "Bingo." – @Dinnerbone, December 24, 2012
- http://es-mx.twitch.tv/sethbling/b/364067137 [dead link]
- "Pizza confirmed for the next update?" – @KrisJelbring, November 15, 2013
- "Other ones we considered:" – u/Dinnerbone on Reddit, March 27, 2017
- "• Krillager - Swims around and gets eaten by whales" – u/jeb_ on Reddit, March 27, 2017
- "It's finally coming - Minecraft 2.0!" by Dinnerbone. Mojang.com, April 1, 2013
|Legacy Console Edition|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|