The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
A metal is a lustrous, conductive, and generally strong and workable material. There currently exist two different metals within Minecraft:
There also exists one alloy:
Properties of metals
Metals in Minecraft all share the following properties:
- They can exist in nugget, ingot and full block forms. A metal block is equivalent to nine ingots, and an ingot is in turn equivalent to nine nuggets.
- They have corresponding tool and armor sets.
- Their tool and armor sets can be processed by a furnace or blast furnace in order to receive a nugget of the respective metal back.
- Their ores are the only ores which drop themselves as a block without the use of the Silk Touch enchantment, requiring these ores to be smelted via furnace or blast furnace to receive the ingot (excluding nether gold ores).
- They are capable of making pressure plates of varying weightedness.
- They, in block form, can power beacons.
Iron has the following additional properties:
- Can be used to create iron doors and iron trapdoors.
- Can be used to create iron bars.
- Has another corresponding armor set, the chain armor.
- Used for many heavy utility blocks such as anvils, cauldrons and hoppers.
- Heals iron golems.[Java Edition only]
Gold has the following additional properties:
- Can be used to upgrade apples, carrots and melon slices into golden apples, golden carrots and glistering melon slices.
- Bartering with piglins.
Alloys have the following distinct properties from pure metals:
- They exist in block and ingot form, but not in nugget form. And as such items made with alloys cannot be smelted into nugget form
- They do not have direct ores and must be combined from other metals.
|This feature is exclusive to Bedrock Edition and Education Edition.|
Aside from gold and iron, there exist numerous elements[Bedrock and Education editions only] which also correspond to real-life metals. However, these do not have the same uses that gold and iron metals have in-game.
Other metals/Poor metals
Metal as a material type
Certain blocks are classified as metals as opposed to rock, requiring a pickaxe to be mined. However, the blocks placed in this category are not necessarily made of a metal in themselves; for example, blocks of diamond, blocks of emerald, blocks of redstone and lapis lazuli blocks are all listed under this category despite not being made of a metal.
|Java Edition Classic|
|0.0.14a||Added iron and gold ores.|
|0.0.20a||Added blocks of gold.|
|0.27 SURVIVAL TEST||Added blocks of iron.|
|Java Edition Indev|
|0.31||20100129||Added iron and gold ingots.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added gold nuggets.|
|1.11.1||16w50a||Added iron nuggets.|
|1.16||20w06a||Added netherite ingots.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Pre-release||Added blocks of iron.|
|0.1.0||Added iron and gold ores.|
|Added blocks of gold.|
|0.3.2||Added iron and gold ingots.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added gold nuggets.|
|1.1.0||alpha 220.127.116.11||Added iron nuggets.|
|1.16.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Added netherite ingots.|