A metal is a lustrous, conductive, and generally strong and workable material. There currently exist two different metals within Minecraft:
Properties of metals
Metals in Minecraft all share the following properties:
- They can exist in nugget, ingot and full block forms.
- They have corresponding tool and armor sets.
- Their tool and armor sets can be processed by a furnace or blast furnace in order to receive a nugget of the respective metal back.
- Their ores are the only ores which drop themselves as a block without the use of the Silk Touch enchantment, requiring these ores to be smelted via furnace or blast furnace to receive the ingot (excluding nether gold ores[upcoming: JE 1.16]).
- They are capable of making pressure plates of varying weightedness.
- They, in block form, can power beacons.
Iron has the following additional properties:
- Can be used to create iron doors and iron trapdoors.
- Can be used to create iron bars.
- Has another corresponding armor set, the chain armor.
- Used for many heavy utility blocks such as anvils, cauldrons and hoppers.
- Heals iron golems.[Java Edition only]
Gold has the following additional properties:
- Can be used to upgrade apples, carrots and melon slices into golden apples, golden carrots and glistering melon slices.
- Bartering with piglins.[upcoming: JE 1.16 & BE 1.16.0]
Alloys have the following distinct properties from pure metals:
- They exist in block and ingot form, but not in nugget form.
- They do not have direct ores and must be combined from other metals.
Aside from gold and iron, there exist numerous elements[Bedrock and Education editions only] which also correspond to real-life metals. However, these do not have the same uses that gold and iron metals have in-game.
Other metals/Poor metals
Metal as a material type
Certain blocks are classified as metals as opposed to rock, requiring a pickaxe to be mined. However, the blocks placed in this category are not necessarily made of a metal in themselves; for example, blocks of diamond, blocks of emerald, blocks of redstone and lapis lazuli blocks are all listed under this category despite not being made of a metal.
|Java Edition Classic|
|0.0.14a||Added iron and gold ores.|
|0.0.20a||Added blocks of gold.|
|0.27 SURVIVAL TEST||Added blocks of iron.|
|Java Edition Indev|
|0.31||20100129||Added iron and gold ingots.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added gold nuggets.|
|1.11.1||16w50a||Added iron nuggets.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.16||20w06a||Added netherite ingots.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Pre-release||Added blocks of iron.|
|0.1.0||Added iron and gold ores.|
|Added blocks of gold.|
|0.3.2||Added iron and gold ingots.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added gold nuggets.|
|1.1.0||alpha 126.96.36.199||Added iron nuggets.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.16.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added netherite ingots.|