MINECON Earth 2017
On August 8, 2017, it was announced that MINECON 2017, titled MINECON Earth, would take place on November 18, 2017, in the form of a 90-minute interactive livestream. It featured Lydia Winters and Will Arnett as the hosts. There was a pre-show before the stream and a post-show after the stream. It featured YouTubers such as Logdotzip and TrueTriz.
Announced at the same time were official community events, hosted by community-led partners such as Minefaire, Minevention and Blockfest. These partners (along with many more to come) have gained the official stamp of approval to throw authentic in-person Minecraft experiences. Attendees will get to meet their favorite YouTubers and streamers, compete in tournaments and costume contests, see unique content and more.
Watchers were able to vote for a new mob to be added into the game, out of 4 options (pictured). People could vote via a Twitter poll, and the three mobs that did not win the vote will not be implemented.
Mob A, "The Monster of the Ocean Depths", is a Squid-like ocean creature that sucks players down with its tentacle. The mob spawns in the Deep Ocean biome and has a large mouth that it uses to propel itself through the water. Jeb says that viewers should vote for Mob A because there is currently not a lot of content in the oceans, and it would make a good challenge for players traveling across the ocean. Mob A was eliminated after the first poll.
Mob B, the Phantom, at the time known as "The Monster of the Night Skies", is a flying creature that seeks out and attacks players who haven't slept for 3 days. It spawns at high altitudes in the air, and attacks in groups. Jeb says that viewers should vote for Mob B because there were no flying monsters in the Overworld yet. Mob B won the vote, and was first added into the game in Java Edition 1.13 snapshot 18w07a, with the name of Phantom.
Mob C, "The Great Hunger", is a lizard-like creature that sinks into the ground, camouflages itself and consumes mobs and items with its huge mouth. It has a "great appetite for enchanting powers" and Jeb says that viewers should vote for Mob C because players may be able to use the mob's abilities to add or remove enchantments for players' own items. Mob C was eliminated after the third poll.
Mob D, "The Hovering Inferno", is a type of blaze. Its body parts look like shields and are used to defend itself from attack. This mob spawns with groups of blazes randomly and attacks the player in the Nether with its dangerous shock wave attack. Jeb says that viewers should vote for Mob D because it would make the Nether "even more scary and exciting". Mob D was eliminated after the second poll.
At 30 minutes into the event, Mob A lost the vote and was eliminated. 30 minutes after that, Mob D was also eliminated. After 20 more minutes, Mob B won the vote, eliminating mob C. Mob B has been released alongside Java Edition, Legacy Console Edition Update Aquatic and Bedrock Edition 1.6.0.
|A||Monster of the Ocean Depths||23%|
|B||Monster of the Night Skies||27%||37%||52%|
Videos can be found here.
- "Announcing... MINECON Earth" by Owen Jones. Minecraft.net, August 8, 2017
- "Announcing... Official Minecraft Community Events" by Owen Jones. Minecraft.net, August 8, 2017
- "HUGE ANNOUCEMENT KLAXON: On November 18th, you can vote for a new mob to be added to Minecraft during MINECON Earth!" – @Minecraft, November 2, 2017
- "At this year's MINECON Earth, YOU decide which mob makes it into the game. Will you vote for Mob A, the Monster of the Ocean Depths? Get acquainted here!" – @Minecraft, November 13, 2017
- "It's nearly time for MINECON Earth's Mob Vote! Will you vote to add Mob B, the Monster of the Night Skies to Minecraft? Find out all about it here!" – @Minecraft, November 14, 2017
- "MINECON Earth's Mob Vote approaches! Will you vote for Mob C, The Great Hunger? Satisfy your appetite for FACTS here." – @Minecraft, November 15, 2017
- "Choose which mob makes it into Minecraft during this year's MINECON Earth! Will you vote for Mob D, the Hovering Inferno? Here's why you might" – @Minecraft, November 16, 2017
- "Four potential new mobs - but only ONE can be added to Minecraft! Vote for the mob you want to see added to the game now!" – @Minecraft, November 18, 2017
- "Three mobs remain but only one gets added to the game! Vote for the mob you want added to Minecraft now" – @Minecraft, November 18, 2017
- "Two mobs! But only one can be the winner! Which of these mobs do you want added to Minecraft?" – @Minecraft, November 18, 2017