- Increases maximum loot drop for most common drops by +1 per level.
- Increases chance of uncommon drops by making a second attempt to drop if the original attempt failed. The success chance of this second attempt is
Level / (Level + 1).
- Increases chance of rare drops by +1 percentage points per level (i.e., 3.5% at level I, 4.5% at level II, and 5.5% at level III).
- Increases chance of equipment drops by +1 percentage points per level (i.e., 9.5% at level I, 10.5% at level II, and 11.5% at level III).
- Affects any kills while holding the enchanted item in the main hand, not only to kills with the enchanted item. For example, a player can fire a projectile then switch to the looting item before the projectile reaches the target to get the looting effect, or can fire a projectile from the off-hand while holding a looting item in the main hand. This allows looting to work on arrows shot from a bow, as long as the player is holding the looting item when the arrow lands.
- Using commands to get higher levels than 3 works as expected, adding higher numbers with a weight of 1. High enough numbers however (like level 1000) may crash the game due to too many dropped item entities.[Java Edition only]
- This also applies to mobs killed with a sweep attack.[Java Edition only]