We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
|Catches fire from lava||
|Block entity ID||
See § Data values
See § Data values
See § Data values
Banners are tall decorative blocks, featuring a field that is highly customizable using dyes.
- 1 Natural generation
- 2 Obtaining
- 3 Usage
- 4 Sounds
- 5 Data values
- 6 Achievements
- 7 Advancements
- 8 History
- 9 Issues
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Gallery
|Magenta Banner||Outside of end cities.||Magenta Banner
|Gray Banner||In banner room in woodland mansions.||Gray Banner|
|Light Gray Banner||In master bedroom in woodland mansions.||Light Gray Banner
|Ominous Banner[JE only]||Carried by raid captains.
Located in pillager outposts.
|White Banner[JE & PS4 only]
Separate type entirely[BE only]
|Brown Banner||Outside of some houses, meeting points, and pillar fountains in savanna villages.||Brown Banner|
|Black Banner||In altar room in woodland mansions.||Black Banner|
Banners can be broken with or without a tool, but an axe is fastest.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
A banner will also break and drop itself as an item if the block the banner is attached to is moved, removed, or destroyed.
Banners can be crafted from wool and a stick.
|Banner||Matching Wool +
|White Banner||Any Banner +
|Bleach can be used to remove the color of a banner, resulting in a white banner. This includes removing patterns from a white banner.[Bedrock and Education editions only]|
Expert-level Cartographer villagers will always sell 1 or 2 blank banners of a random color for 3 emeralds. Expert-level Shepherd villagers have a 2⁄7 chance of offering the same trade.[Java Edition only]
Illager banner can be obtained in creative inventory.[Bedrock Edition only]
There are 16 colored blank banners, and numerous patterns each available in each of the 16 colors. A banner can feature up to 6 different patterns. The top layer of a banner (or the last pattern added) can be washed off by using it on a cauldron containing water.
Banners, much like signs, can be placed both on the ground facing in any direction, or on a wall. Banners have no collision mask as they are completely non-solid, so items and mobs can move through them.
Other blocks (including other banners) can be placed on any edge of a banner's hitbox, which, despite appearing as two blocks tall, only fills the bottom block on one placed on the ground. This makes it possible to overlap another solid block on the top half of a banner.
When a banner is placed on a vertical block, its position is set by the top block, and it is possible to place it so it appears half buried.
Banners can also be placed in item frames, where they simply appear as their item model.
Lava can create fire in air blocks next to banners as if the banners were flammable, but the banners will not burn up (and can't be burned by other methods, either). Banners also cannot be moved by pistons.
If a banner is renamed on an anvil, it will retain its name when a pattern is added, but not when a pattern is removed.
While a banner cannot be equipped in the head slot in Survival mode, equipping it using commands will cause it to appear on top of the player. This is how pillager captains wear banners.
Banners can be copied with a blank banner to make multiple identical banners.
|Matching Banner||Copies pattern; both banners must have the same base color, and the one that will have patterns printed onto it must have no preexisting patterns.|
|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
Shields can have patterns applied to them using banners. The shield pattern has a smaller resolution than the banner pattern, causing them to look different or offset.
|Applies the banner pattern to the shield. The banner is consumed.|
The shield must have no preexisting patterns.
Does not change existing durability or enchantments on the shield.
Banners can be used as a fuel in furnaces, smelting 1.5 items per banner.
A banner can be given a custom name which remains as the banner is placed and retrieved.[Java Edition only] The player can use an anvil to rename the banner item, or may change the
CustomName tag using the
/data command on the banner block.
Right-clicking on a banner with a map selected will place a marker of the banner's position on that map [Java Edition only], and right-clicking again will remove it. The marker will have the same color as the banner's base, and will not have any decorations. The marker will be removed if the banner is destroyed unless the map is locked using the cartography table. If the banner is renamed, the name will show below the marker.[Java Edition only]
A banner may have up to six patterns, which are overlaid with the last-crafted on top. A banner can have up to 16 patterns with the use of commands.
Any color banner can be used, the color will just be overlayed with the pattern. In Java Edition a loom is used to make patterns. However, in Bedrock Edition, the patterns can be made in loom or in crafting table.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||0.75||0.5||16|
|Banner||Namespaced ID||Item form|
|White on a wall||
|Orange on a wall|
|Magenta on a wall|
|Light blue on a wall|
|Yellow on a wall|
|Lime on a wall|
|Pink on a wall|
|Gray on a wall|
|Light gray on a wall|
|Cyan on a wall|
|Purple on a wall|
|Blue on a wall|
|Brown on a wall|
|Green on a wall|
|Red on a wall|
|Black on a wall|
|Banner||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
|On a wall||
in Bedrock Edition, banner blocks use the following data values:
|A four-bit field storing a value from 0 to 15 specifying the block's orientation:
|A three-bit field storing a value from 2 to 5 specifying the block's orientation:
in Bedrock Edition, banner items use the following data values:
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|rotation||The block is facing south.|
|The block is facing south-southwest.|
|The block is facing southwest.|
|The block is facing west-southwest.|
|The block is facing west.|
|The block is facing west-northwest.|
|The block is facing northwest.|
|The block is facing north-northwest.|
|The block is facing north.|
|The block is facing north-northeast.|
|The block is facing northeast.|
|The block is facing east-northeast.|
|The block is facing east.|
|The block is facing east-southeast.|
|The block is facing southeast.|
|The block is facing south-southeast.|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|facing||The direction the block is facing. For example, a block facing east is attached to a block to its west.|
Opposite from the direction a player faces when placing the block.
A banner has a block entity associated with it that holds additional data about the block.
- Block entity data
- Tags common to all block entities see Template:Nbt inherit/blockentity/template
- CustomName: Optional. The name of this banner in JSON text component, which appears when added as markers on maps.
- Patterns: List of all patterns applied to the banner.
- : An individual pattern.
- Color: Color of the section.
- Pattern: The banner pattern code the color is applied to.
- : An individual pattern.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Fruit on the Loom||Make a banner using a enchanted apple stencil.||Make a banner using an enchanted apple.||No||PS4||Yes||No||20G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Voluntary Exile||Kill a raid captain.|
Maybe consider staying away from villages for the time being...
|Adventure||Obtain an Ominous Banner, whether from a Pillager Outpost or from a Raid Captain.|
|1.8||July 21, 2014||Jeb posted a picture of banners, and stated that he is working on them.|
|14w30c||Added four additional patterns: Cross (+), Border, Curly Border and Thing (Mojang logo).|
|14w31a||Added five additional patterns: Inverted Halves and Base Gradient.|
|The banner pattern terminology has now been changed based on vexillology advice Jeb received from his Reddit post.|
|Banners can now be used as a fuel in furnaces.|
|?||Banners have now been changed to render the model as an item.|
|1.8.8||pre||The number of layers attainable by using commands is now limited to 16 per banner.|
|1.9||15w31a||Magenta banners with a black chevron and inverted chevron are now naturally generated on the outside walls of end cities.|
|15w33c||Banners can be used to apply patterns to shields.|
|1.11||16w33a||Banners will now require a dye when applying a pattern that uses a non-dye item, such as a creeper head or enchanted golden apple. Previously, the lack of a dye would have applied the black variant of the pattern.|
|16w39a||Black and gray banners, and light gray banners with a white flower charge are now naturally generated in rooms of woodland mansions.|
|1.12||January 24, 2017||Jeb tweets a screenshot of the changes to the banner color palette.|
|17w06a||The banners' palette changes have now been added.|
|pre6||"Chief fess" and "base fess" banners are now just "chief" and "base" banners.|
|1.13||17w47a||The colors for the |
|Prior to The Flattening, these blocks' numeral IDs were 176 and 177, and the item's 425.|
|18w10a||Using a map on a banner will now mark the spot of the banner on the map.|
|1.14||18w43a||Looms have now been added to help the player edit banners more easily.|
|All recipes for banner patterns have now been removed.|
|18w45a||Added illager patrols, where the leader of an illager patrol will carry an illager banner.|
|18w46a||The pattern of illager banner now have black border.|
|Pre-Release 2||"Illager Banners" have now been renamed to "Ominous Banners".|
|1.2.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added banners.|
|Magenta banners with a black chevron and inverted chevron are now naturally generated on the outside walls of end cities.|
|Black and gray banners, and light gray banners with a white flower charge are now naturally generated in rooms of woodland mansions.|
|1.4.0||beta 18.104.22.168||The white banner can now be crafted from a colored banner and bleach, which also removes all patterns, if used on a white banner.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Looms have now been added to help the player edit banners more easily.|
|Brown banners now generate in new savanna villages.|
|Black banners now generate in pillager outpost watchtowers.|
|1.11.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Gray banners now generate in pillager outpost watchtowers, instead of black banners.|
|Added illager captains, which drop an illager banner upon death.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Illager banners now generate in pillager outpost watchtowers, instead of gray banners.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Banners can now be bought from cartographer and shepherd villagers.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||Added banners.|
- When Banners are placed in the Overworld, they gently sway, as if affected by the wind.
- With 16 blank banners, 38 patterns of 16 colors each (608 uniquely-colored patterns), and 0 to 6 patterns per banner, the number of uniquely crafted banners is 16 × (6080 + 6081 + 6082 + 6083 + 6084 + 6085 + 6086) ≈ 809 quadrillion (809,573,616,779,945,488). The number of visually distinct banners is smaller, because one or more patterns may completely cover other patterns, or the entire banner, or be duplicated due to the symmetric set of patterns (e.g. field or (yellow) + per pale azure (blue) = field azure + per pale or inverted).
- If a banner has over 6 patterns, only the six bottommost patterns are displayed when hovered over in the inventory.
- The Mojang Logo is called "Thing" ingame, which could be considered an alternate translation for mojäng. If Google Translate is used, it translates to "thingys" or "contraption".
- In the Swedish translation of the game, this pattern is, in fact, called mojäng.
- Banner textures are located in \assets\minecraft\textures\entity\banner.
- There are 40 monochrome textures, each containing all 6 sides of the banner.
- The texture of the back side is the mirrored texture of the front side.
- Compared to the texture files, textures' colors are inverted in-game due to them acting as masks for the re-colored base texture, base.png. That means white is visible, while black is transparent.
- There are two unused item textures for the banner. Instead, the banner displays itself as if it were a block.
- In the Legacy Console Edition, the icon for the banner is turned the other way, but the patterns are not mirrored.
- In Bedrock Edition, banners are considered as items. Dropping a banner on the ground will reveal that the item entity does not rotate like the item entity of a block. This is because the banner previously had an item sprite, and items never rotate when idle.
- The Ominous Banner's[Java Edition only] design uses 8 patterns. Because of this, it cannot be crafted.
- Banners that have the purple NBT+ line in the bottom (obtained by holding Ctrl and middle-clicking the banner, which will also copy the NBT tag of anything that the player points their crosshair to) actually has no difference with the base banner obtained by only middle click.
Banners floating outside of an End city tower.
Banners hanging above the doorway of a woodland mansion master bedroom.