|Catches fire from lava||
dec: 69 hex: 45 bin: 1000101
Levers can be mined using any tool, or without a tool.
A lever is also removed and drops itself as an item if:
- its attachment block is moved, removed, or destroyed
- water or lava flows into its space, in Java Edition
- a piston tries to push it or moves a block into its space
A lever can be used as a player-switchable redstone power source.
- To place a lever, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default) while aiming at the surface to which it should be attached.
- A lever can be attached to the top, side, or bottom of any full solid opaque block (stone, dirt, blocks of gold, etc.), or to the top of an upside-down slab or upside-down stairs (but not to the bottom of a right-side-up slab or stairs). When placed on the top or bottom of a block, the lever orients itself in-line with the placing player.
- In Bedrock Edition, it can additionally be placed on the top of a fence, stone wall or hopper, and can be placed underwater.
- When placed on the side of blocks, down is on and up is off. On the top or bottom of blocks, on is north or west, off is south or east.
- To activate or deactivate a lever, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default). A lever can be turned on and off as fast as it can be clicked.
- Mobs cannot turn a lever on or off.
- While active, a lever:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust (including beneath the lever) to power level 15
- powers any adjacent redstone comparator or redstone repeater facing away from the lever to power level 15
- strongly powers its attachment block to power level 15 (only if the attachment block is a full solid opaque block)
- activates any adjacent mechanism components, including above or below, such as pistons, redstone lamps, etc.
- emits redstone particles to indicate that it is active
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||0.75||0.5||16|
Note: The lever uses the same sound event for both turning on and off, but the pitch is determined outside of sounds.json.
In Bedrock Edition, a lever's block data stores its orientation, and whether it is active:
A three-bit field storing a value from 0 to 7:
|0x8||If this bit is set, the lever is active.|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|face||The face of the block it's placed on.|
Floor is on top of a block, ceiling is on the bottom, and wall is on one of its sides.
|facing||The direction it's facing.|
Opposite to the direction the player is facing if placed on the side of a block.
|powered||If true, the lever is currently activated.|
|This page would benefit from the addition of more images.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable images to the article. The specific instructions are: 17w47a texture addtion of the underside of levers.
|Java Edition Classic|
|May 21, 2009||Notch shows interest in adding levers.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.7||The texture of levers has now been updated.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Levers now generate in jungle temples.|
|12w24a||Levers can now be placed upside down (on the underside of a block).|
|1.5||13w03a||Lever orientation is no longer random.|
|1.11||16w39a||Levers now generate in woodland mansions.|
|1.13||17w47a||Flicking a lever on now displays redstone particles.|
|Levers can no longer be placed on top of pistons.|
|Levers now have an underside texture.|
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 69.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of levers has now been changed.|
|19w03c||Levers now use correct cullface arguments, and a redundant face was deleted.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.13.0||build 1||Added levers.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Levers now generate in jungle temples.|
|1.1.0||alpha 188.8.131.52||Levers now generate in woodland mansions.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||The texture of levers has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added levers.|
|TU14||1.04||Levers can now be placed upside down (on the underside of a block).|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of levers has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|