We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
dec: 69 hex: 45 bin: 1000101
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Levers can be mined using any tool, or without a tool.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
A lever will also be removed and drop itself as an item:
- if its attachment block is moved, removed, or destroyed
- if water flows into its space
- if a piston tries to push it or moves a block into its space
If lava flows into a lever's space, the lever will be destroyed without dropping itself as an item.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Usage[edit | edit source]
- See also: Redstone circuit
A lever can be used as a player-switchable redstone power source.
- To place a lever, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default) while aiming at the surface to which it should be attached.
- A lever can be attached to the top, side, or bottom of any full solid opaque block (stone, dirt, blocks of gold, etc.), or to the top of an upside-down slab or upside-down stairs (but not to the bottom of a right-side-up slab or stairs). When placed on the top or bottom of a block, the lever will configure its orientation to be in-line with the placing player.
- When placed on the side of blocks, down is on and up is off. On the top or bottom of blocks, on is north or west, off is south or east.
- To activate or deactivate a lever, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default). A lever can be turned on and off as fast as it can be clicked.
- Mobs cannot turn a lever on or off.
- While active, a lever:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust (including beneath the lever) to power level 15
- powers any adjacent redstone comparator or redstone repeater facing away from the lever to power level 15
- strongly powers its attachment block to power level 15 (only if the attachment block is a full solid opaque block)
- activates any adjacent mechanism components, including above or below, such as pistons, redstone lamps, etc.
Data values[edit | edit source]
Every lever has an ID name of
minecraft:lever and stores its orientation and activation status in its block data. A lever also has a block state which is expected to replace the functionality of block data in a future version.
Block data[edit | edit source]
- See also: Data values
A lever's block data stores its orientation, and whether it is active:
A three-bit field storing a value from 0 to 7:
|0x8||If this bit is set, the lever is active.|
Block state[edit | edit source]
- See also: Block states
||The block-face on which the lever is mounted.
The direction from the block the lever is attached to, to the lever.
For example, a lever placed on a south-facing wall will face 'south'.
||A lever mounted on the floor, pointing east when off.|
||A lever mounted on the ceiling, pointing east when off.|
||A lever mounted on the floor, pointing south when off.|
||A lever mounted on the ceiling, pointing south when off.|
||True if lever is 'on', providing power.|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.3.1||12w22a||Levers now generate in jungle temples.|
|12w24a||Levers can now be placed upside down (on the underside of a block).|
|1.5||13w03a||Lever orientation is no longer random.|
|1.11||16w39a||Levers now generate in woodland mansions.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.13.0||build 1||Added levers.|
|1.1||build 1||Levers now generate in woodland mansions.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added levers.|
|TU14||1.04||Levers can now be placed upside down (on the underside of a block).|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Lever” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.