Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
dec: 3514 hex: 15F4 bin: 1010111114
See § Data values
|— Alex Wiltshire|
Lapis lazuli is a mineral used for enchanting and decoration.
|Lapis Lazuli Block|
|Lapis Lazuli Ore +
|This feature is exclusive to Bedrock Edition, Education Edition and New Nintendo 3DS Edition.|
Like all other dyes, lapis lazuli can be:
- Applied to sheep to dye their wool, which can then be sheared for 1–3 blocks of blue wool.
- Applied to tamed wolves to dye their collars.
- Used to dye or stain wool, leather armor, beds, glass, terracotta and shulker boxes.
- Combined with gunpowder to make a firework star.
- Combined with a firework star to create a fade-to-color effect.
- Used to add patterns to banners.
- Used to dye shulkers.[Bedrock, Education and New Nintendo 3DS editions only]
- Used to dye water contained in cauldrons.[Bedrock, Education and New Nintendo 3DS editions only]
- Combined with sand and gravel to craft concrete powder.
- Combined with compounds to craft balloons or glow sticks.[Bedrock and Education editions only]
|Item||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
In Bedrock Edition, lapis lazuli has the ID name
dye, with a data value of 4.
|7||Light Gray Dye|
|12||Light Blue Dye|
Any number larger than 19 will always be bone meal.
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.2||Added lapis lazuli.|
|1.2_02||Lapis lazuli ore can now be found at bedrock level and will now drop 4–8 lapis lazuli per block mined (increased from 1) on singleplayer only. However, servers have not been affected yet.|
|1.8||?||Lapis lazuli can now be found in mineshaft chests.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Lapis lazuli can now be used to dye leather armor and wolf collars.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Lapis lazuli can now be crafted with gunpowder to create a firework star.|
|1.6.1||13w19a||Lapis lazuli can now be used to craft blue stained clay.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||With the addition of new flowers, many secondary and tertiary dyes are now primary dyes.|
|13w41a||Lapis lazuli can now be used to craft blue stained glass.|
|1.8||14w02a||Enchanting will now require lapis lazuli. Different enchantments require different amounts of levels and different amounts of levels will now require different amounts of lapis lazuli (between 1-3).|
|Cleric villagers will now sell 1–2 lapis lazuli for 1 emerald, making it a renewable resource.|
|14w30a||Lapis lazuli can now be used to dye banners.|
|1.9||15w44a||The average yield of lapis lazuli in mineshaft chests has now been decreased.|
|1.13||17w47a||The different data values for the |
|Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 351.|
|18w11a||Lapis lazuli will now generate in shipwreck chests.|
|1.14||18w43a||Lapis lazuli can now be used to craft blue dye.|
|Lapis lazuli can no longer be used as a dye.|
|Changed the texture of lapis lazuli.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.4.0||Added lapis lazuli.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Lapis lazuli is now required for enchanting.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Lapis lazuli can now be found inside minecart with chests in abandoned mineshafts.|
|Lapis lazuli can now be used to dye water in cauldrons.|
|1.0.4||alpha 188.8.131.52||Cleric villagers will now sell 1–2 lapis lazuli for 1 emerald.|
|Lapis lazuli can now be used to dye shulker shells.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||Lapis lazuli can now be used to dye shulker boxes and beds.|
|Lapis lazuli can now be used to craft blue concrete powder.|
|1.2.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Lapis lazuli can now be used to dye banners, firework stars and glass.|
|1.4.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Lapis lazuli can now be found in shipwreck treasure chests.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Lapis lazuli can now be used to craft balloons and glow sticks.|
|1.8.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Lapis lazuli can now be used to craft blue dyes.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Lapis lazuli are now sold by wandering traders.|
|Changed the texture of lapis lazuli.|
|1.11.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Lapis lazuli can now be found in desert village temple chests.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Cleric villagers now only sell one lapis lazuli for one emerald.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added lapis lazuli.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Lapis can now be used in enchanting.|
- In real life, lapis lazuli is a blue gem that may be ground and processed into ultramarine pigment. Lapis lazuli pigment has been famously used in the production of illuminated manuscripts, stained glass, and cave paintings. It was also used by Egyptians for their jewelry and other valuable items (see Wikipedia page).
- "Block of the Week: Lapis Lazuli" – Minecraft.net