|This page contains content on features that may be included in the next update.|
These features have appeared in development versions, but the full update containing these features has not been released yet.
|Iron Nugget +
|[Java Edition only]|
Lanterns can be placed on the top or hanging under most solid blocks, although some will require sneaking.
- See also: Block states
|If the lantern is hanging from a block.|
|October 6, 2010||Notch says that with the addition of the lantern, torches would flicker out and need to be re-lit with flint and steel. The lantern would serve as a permanent source of light.|
|January 5, 2011||Lanterns were originally planned to be added in the Halloween Update, but were delayed due to lack of time.|
|January 13, 2011||Notch says that lanterns were "postponed".|
|January 20, 2011||Notch says he's "not sure" when lanterns will be implemented.|
|November 18, 2011||Notch announces at the Mojang Panel at MineCon 2011 that lanterns would not be added due to large negative community response towards the effects the new item would have had on torches.|
|April 4, 2012||Notch tweets that the team decided to not implement lanterns and instead other types of lighting were added, such as redstone lamps and glowstone.|
|November 9, 2018||LadyAgnes tweets an image of a lantern, implying that they are once again in development.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|18w49a||Lanterns can now spawn naturally in snowy tundra villages.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.9||beta 220.127.116.11||Added lanterns.|
- Lanterns were likely to be a "replacement" version of the torch if they were added in the 2010 Halloween Update, despite them not being added in that update, they are still technically better than the torch in 1.14 because of how they are 1 light level higher than the torch currently.
- Lanterns are the second animated light-source in the game, the other being sea lanterns.
- Gravity affected blocks, such as sand, dropped on lanterns will break, similarly to torches.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 18w46a" – Minecraft.net, November 15, 2018
- “Decorating a village with Lanterns makes me feel all cozy and warm inside” – @JasperBoerstra, November 15, 2018