|Catches fire from lava||
|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition, Bedrock Edition and PlayStation 4 Edition.|
A lantern can be mined by hand or by any tool. Breaking time depends on the tool's material.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
|Iron Nugget +
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Unknown playing conditions)||Blocks||0.75||0.5||16|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|hanging||If the lantern is hanging from a block.|
|October 6, 2010||Notch says that with the addition of the lantern, torches would flicker out and need to be re-lit with flint and steel. The lantern would serve as a permanent source of light.|
|January 5, 2011||Lanterns were originally planned to be added in the Halloween Update, but were delayed due to lack of time.|
|January 13, 2011||Notch says that lanterns were "postponed".|
|January 20, 2011||Notch says he's "not sure" when lanterns will be implemented.|
|November 18, 2011||Notch announces at the Mojang Panel at MineCon 2011 that lanterns would not be added due to large negative community response towards the effects the new item would have had on torches.|
|April 4, 2012||Notch tweets that the team decided to not implement lanterns and instead other types of lighting were added, such as redstone lamps and glowstone.|
|November 9, 2018||LadyAgnes tweets an image of a lantern, implying that they are once again in development.|
|18w49a||Lanterns can now spawn naturally in snowy tundra villages.|
|19w05a||Lanterns now have a unique sound for being placed and broken.|
|1.14.3||pre3||Lanterns can now be placed and hung on iron bars and glass panes.|
|1.9.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added lanterns, which can currently be obtained only from the creative inventory and with Experimental Gameplay enabled.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Lanterns are now craftable.|
|Lanterns now generate in snowy tundra villages.|
|1.11.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Added lantern sounds.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Lanterns can now be bought from librarian villagers.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
A lantern inside a house that was made by a player.
- Lanterns were likely to be a "replacement" version of the torch if they were added in the 2010 Halloween Update.
- Lanterns are the fifth animated light-source in the game, the others being magma blocks, sea lanterns, fire and lava.
- When gravity affected blocks, such as sand, are dropped on lanterns, they break as if they were dropped onto torches.
- In Bedrock Edition, lanterns are called sea lanterns.
- "Minecraft Snapshot 18w46a" – Minecraft.net, November 15, 2018
- "Decorating a village with Lanterns makes me feel all cozy and warm inside" – @JasperBoerstra, November 15, 2018