|Catches fire from lava||
dec: 65 hex: 41 bin: 1000001
Ladders can be broken using any tool, but an axe is the quickest.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
Ladders occur naturally in library rooms of strongholds and in intersection rooms with a wooden ceiling. Ladders can also be found in villages structures such as a plains and taiga temples, a plains small house, a desert fletcher house, and a desert medium house. They may also be found in igloos, leading to the basement, end ships on the pillar leading up to the crows nest and woodland mansions rail room.
Ladders provide a way to cushion a player's impact after a free fall. Upon entering a ladder's area of effect, the player's speed is reduced instantly to normal ladder descent speed and no damage is taken. Falling onto the narrow top surface of the ladder incurs falling damage as normal.
Holding the sneak key while climbing a ladder causes the player to grab hold of the ladder and not fall off. While the player is holding on to a ladder, mining speed decreases.[Java and Bedrock editions only]
Any mob can climb a ladder in the same way a player does: by pushing against it. Mobs are not smart enough to use ladders deliberately — they won't stay on a ladder to get somewhere, but a ladder directly in their straight-line path (or if they turn in the process) lets them climb up.
In Java Edition, ladders displace lava blocks to create an air pocket and can be used instead of glass to let lava light shine through a ceiling. They also displace flowing water, a ladder placed inside a water source block) becomes waterlogged and does not create an air pocket.
How ladders work
A ladder takes effect whenever the player's lower half is in the block occupied by a ladder. These effects are:
- If the player pushes against a wall, the player moves upward at about 5/2 meters per second instead of horizontally. (Thus inside a 1×1 ladder shaft, the player can use any movement key to move upward.)
- If a player moving perpendicular to the ladder block enters the ladder block, the player begins to move upwards, but then falls off the ladder shortly afterward if the player continues to move horizontally.
- The player's maximum downward speed is reduced to a "descending ladder" speed.
- The player's horizontal movement friction is the same as on ice. (That is, moving around in the tiny space the player is in while still hanging on the ladder at the same level.)
In Bedrock Edition, ladders use the following data values:
A three-bit field storing a value from 2 to 5:
Invalid values default to 2.
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|facing||The direction from the block the ladder is attached to, to the ladder.|
|waterlogged||Whether or not there's water in the same place as this ladder.|
|Java Edition Infdev|
|June 7, 2010||Added ladders. In an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Notch stated that he never originally wanted to add ladders because they're never fun, and that the fans convinced him to do it.|
|Ladders could be placed on every other block and still be climbable because the player could climb a ladder when any part of the body was on it, not just the lowest part.|
|The ladder crafting recipe produced one ladder per 7 sticks.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.4||Pressing the sneak key now stops the player from moving down the ladder.|
|1.5||The player can no longer climb ladders spaced every other block.|
|The crafting recipe now produces 2 ladders, thus the Java Edition 1.5 changes from 2013 did not change the number of sticks needed to make a ladder of a given height.|
|1.6||Ladders can no longer be placed on glowstone.|
|1.1||12w01a||Removed collision boxes for ladders.|
|1.2.1||12w03a||Re-added collision boxes for ladders.|
|1.2-pre||The crafting recipe now produces 3 ladders per 7 sticks, as opposed to 1 during Infdev and 2 during Java Edition 1.1.|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Added a sound for climbing up ladders.|
|1.5||13w02a||Added death messages for ladders: "Player fell off a ladder".|
|1.8||14w31a||Ladders are now mined faster using axes.|
|1.9||15w31a||The ladder's bounding box is now 3⁄16 block (formerly 2⁄16).|
|15w43a||A length of ladder generates as part of the shaft from igloos leading to their basements.|
|1.11||16w33a||Ladders can now be used to fuel furnaces.|
|16w39a||Ladders now generate in woodland mansions.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 65.|
|18w10d||Water can now be placed on the same block as ladders.|
|1.14||19w13a||Ladders can be placed on glowstone.|
|?||Ladder texture changed to|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 10||Made the ladder collision box slightly thinner.|
|0.11.0||?||Mobs can now climb ladders.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added a sound for climbing up ladders.|
|With sneaking added, it is now possible to sit on a ladder without moving.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||A length of ladder generates as part of the shaft from igloos leading to their basements.|
|1.1.0||alpha 22.214.171.124||Ladders now generate in woodland mansions.|
|1.4.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Water can now be placed on the same block as ladders.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added ladders.|
|TU12||Crafting recipe now yields 3 ladders instead of 2.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- It is possible to use ladders one block apart in a corner by placing every other ladder on alternating side of the corner. This method requires jumping and shifting sides constantly.
- By holding the jump key, players can still use water ladders that have ladders placed every other block.
- If you stop yourself on a ladder and place a sign, you still stay in midair without having to hold Shift since the game is paused in singleplayer. This does not work in multiplayer since the game is not paused.
- Attempting to place a ladder on a spot another ladder occupies may instead place the ladder somewhere nearby (because of the ladder's hitbox).
- It is possible to remove a ladder while standing on a ladder and holding the sneak key, but it can take a long time because the countdown for breaking the ladder often resets.
- Consuming food, blocking with a shield, or pulling back a bow, do not slow you down while climbing ladders (unlike when walking, sprinting, and swimming).
- Like vines, ladders slow you down when walked through.
- A player on a slab in front of the ladder must jump to get on the ladder despite only being 1/2 block down.
- You can hold down the jump button while climbing a ladder to make the climbing speed faster.[Bedrock Edition only]