|Catches fire from lava||
- 1 Occurrences
- 2 Obtaining
- 3 Usage
- 4 Sounds
- 5 Data values
- 6 History
- 7 Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Ladders occur naturally in library rooms of strongholds and in intersection rooms with a wooden ceiling. Ladders can also be found in village structures such as plains and taiga temples and many small or medium houses, as well as in churches. They may also be found leading to the basements of Igloos, in End Ships on the pillar leading up to the crows' nest, and in the Woodland Mansions' rail rooms.
Ladders can be placed on any full solid block face.
In Java Edition, ladders displace lava blocks to create an air pocket and can be used instead of glass to let lava light shine through a ceiling. They also displace flowing water, but a ladder placed inside a water source block becomes waterlogged and does not create an air pocket.
From block loot
Ladders can be broken using any tool, but an axe will break them faster than other tools can.
Ladders provide a way to cushion a player's impact after a free fall. Upon entering a ladder's area of effect, the player's speed is reduced instantly to normal ladder descent speed and no damage is taken. Falling onto the narrow top surface of the ladder incurs falling damage as normal.
Holding the sneak key while climbing a ladder causes the player to grab hold of the ladder and not fall off. While the player is holding on to a ladder, mining speed decreases.
Any mob can climb a ladder in the same way a player does: by pushing against it. Mobs are not smart enough to use ladders deliberately — they do not remain on a ladder to get somewhere, but a ladder directly in their path lets them climb up.
Ladders can be broken using any tool, but an axe is the quickest.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
How ladders work
A ladder takes effect whenever the player's lower half is in the block occupied by a ladder. These effects are:
- If the player pushes against a wall, the player moves upward at about 5/2 meters per second instead of horizontally. (Thus inside a 1×1 ladder shaft, the player can use any movement key to move upward.)
- If a player occupies the 1x1 ladder shaft, the player can ascend the ladder by holding jump instead of using a horizontal movement key.
- If a player moving perpendicular to the ladder block enters the ladder block, the player begins to move upward, but then falls off the ladder shortly afterward if the player continues to move horizontally.
- The player's maximum downward speed is reduced to a "descending ladder" speed.
- The player's horizontal movement friction is the same as on ice. (That is, moving around in the tiny space the player is in while still hanging on the ladder at the same level.)
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.5||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
In Bedrock Edition, ladders use the following data values:
A three-bit field storing a value from 2 to 5:
Invalid values default to 2.
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|facing||The direction from the block the ladder is attached to, to the ladder.|
|waterlogged||Whether or not there's water in the same place as this ladder.|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|facing_direction||The direction from the block the ladder is attached to, to the ladder.|
|Java Edition Infdev|
|20100607||Added ladders. In an interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Notch stated that he never originally wanted to add ladders because they're never fun, and that the fans convinced him to do it.|
|Ladders can be placed on every other block and still be climbable because the player can climb a ladder when any part of the body was on it, not just the lowest part.|
|The crafting recipe of ladders produces one ladder per 7 sticks.|
|20100618||The texture of ladders has now been darkened.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.4||Pressing the sneak key now stops the player from moving down the ladder.|
|1.5||The player can no longer climb ladders spaced every other block.|
|The crafting recipe now produces 2 ladders, thus the changes do not change the number of sticks needed to make a ladder of a given height.|
|1.6||Test Build 3||Ladders can no longer be placed on glowstone.|
|1.1||12w01a||The collision boxes for ladders have now been removed.|
|1.2.1||12w03a||The collision boxes for ladders have now been re-added.|
|1.2-pre||The crafting recipe now produces 3 ladders per 7 sticks, as opposed to 1 from Infdev until Beta 1.4_01 and 2 from Beta 1.5 until 1.1.|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Added a sound for climbing up ladders.|
|1.5||13w02a||Added death messages for ladders: "Player fell off a ladder".|
|1.8||14w07a||Ladders facing in no direction (obtainable via commands) appear as small missing texture cubes.|
|14w31a||Ladders are now mined faster using axes.|
|1.9||15w31a||The ladder's bounding box is now 3⁄16 block (formerly 2⁄16).|
|15w43a||A length of ladder generates as part of the shaft from igloos leading to their basements.|
|1.11||16w33a||Ladders can now be used to fuel furnaces.|
|16w39a||Ladders now generate in woodland mansions.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 65.|
|18w10d||Water can now be placed on the same block as ladders.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of ladders has now been changed.|
|19w13a||Ladders can now be placed on glowstone.|
|1.16||20w10a||Ladders can now be placed on blocks of redstone, observers and targets.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 10||The ladder collision box has now been made slightly thinner.|
|0.11.0||?||Mobs can now climb ladders.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added a sound for climbing up ladders.|
|With sneaking added, it is now possible to sit on a ladder without moving.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||A length of ladder generates as part of the shaft from igloos leading to their basements.|
|1.1.0||alpha 188.8.131.52||Ladders now generate in woodland mansions.|
|1.4.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Water can now be placed on the same block as ladders.|
|1.10.0||beta 220.127.116.11||The texture of ladders has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added ladders.|
|TU12||The crafting recipe now yields 3 ladders instead of 2.|
|1.90||The texture of ladders has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- It is possible to use ladders one block apart in a corner by placing every other ladder on the alternating side of the corner. This method requires jumping and shifting sides constantly.
- By holding the jump key, players can still use water ladders that have ladders placed every other block.
- If the player stops on a ladder and places a sign, the player remains in midair without having to hold Shift, because the game is paused in singleplayer. This does not work in multiplayer because the game is not paused.
- Attempting to place a ladder on a spot another ladder occupies may instead place the ladder somewhere nearby (because of the ladder's hitbox).
- It is possible to remove a ladder while standing on a ladder and holding the sneak key, but it can take a long time because the countdown for breaking the ladder often resets.
- Consuming food, blocking with a shield or pulling back a bow, do not slow the player down while climbing ladders (unlike when walking, sprinting and swimming).
- Like vines, ladders slow the player down when walked through.
- A player on a slab in front of the ladder must jump to get on the ladder despite being only 1/2 block down.
- Players can hold down the jump button while climbing a ladder to make the climbing speed faster.[Bedrock Edition only]
Opened ceiling on water.
Ceiling lit by ladder-suspended lava.
Naturally occurring ladders in a stronghold.
An abandoned mineshaft has intersected with a stronghold resulting in floating ladders.
In versions prior to Beta 1.5, spacing ladders was a way to climb, without wasting ladders.
No air-pocket is made in Java Edition 1.13.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named