The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
Java Edition pre-Classic rd-131655
May 13, 2009
|This page documents an unreleased version.|
While there is proof of this version's existence, it was never released to the public.
rd-131655 (officially known as Cave game tech test  or Cave Game tech demo) was a pre-Classic version made on May 13, 2009, at 16:55 UTC. This version was never released, but was recorded by Notch from around 17:00 UTC and uploaded at 17:36. It is the first known version of Minecraft, or what was then known as Cave Game, to have been recorded, although there were some builds before this version.
- Each chunk is now 16×16 blocks instead of 8×8 to improve performance.
- Chunks are now loaded in order of their proximity to the player.
- The game takes 20 seconds to generate a 256×64×256 map.
- "lwjgl IRC logs" – Echelog, May 13, 2009 (UTC+2).
- "Cave game tech test" – Nizzotch, May 13, 2009 – via YouTube (Archive)
- "Cave Game tech demo!" – The Word of Notch, May 13, 2009
- IRC logs: "[18:55:45] <Notch_> the chunk size is 16x16 now.." [...] "[18:56:47] <Notch_> 8x8 chunks are SLOWER"
- IRC logs: "[19:00:52] <Notch_> hmm, I wonder if I could make a vid of this" [...] "[19:14:02] <Notch_> haha, the video ended up at 1.05 GB" [...] "[19:15:36] <Notch_> well, this is annoying. I guess I have to recapture. Google has a limit of 2 gb" [...] "[19:36:42] <Notch_> upload complete, processing video" [...] "[19:50:18] <Notch_> ok, the quality is still crap until the processing finishes, but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k"
- IRC logs: "[19:51:48] <Notch_> i'll update tiles chunks the player first, and force a full update upon game start"
- IRC logs: "[20:02:58] <Notch_> it takes like 20 seconds to grow a 256*256*64 map, though. :-\"