Java Edition Indev 0.31 20091223-1
December 23, 2009
Client not archived
This is the first version of the Indev development cycle of Minecraft, and the first paid version of Minecraft (available at €5.00), as Notch released this version for paid users to test out new features.
- Has the player's shadows.
- All other mobs no longer spawn.
- Added dynamic lighting.
- There are 9 different light levels.
- Due to this, caves have now been made darker.
- Oddly, blocks in the inventory and hotbar are affected by lighting - upon generating a new world they appear dark, then go back to normal brightness after a while.
- This version, as well as 20091223-2, is in Creative mode.
- Survival mode can be added back via modding as always, however.
- Survival mode[verify]
- The player now spawns with 99 stone slabs, stone, water blocks and lava blocks (leftover from an unreleased Indev 0.30 version)
- TNT was removed from hotbar.
- Removed Primed TNT, arrows, block drops and all mobs except Rana from the code.
- Blocks no longer drop items when mined.
- Attempting to fire arrows will not do anything.
- No survival build of this version was released, so these changes go unused, and can only be found via modding.
- Multiplayer was made partially inaccessible (although the multiplayer code still exists and can be re-enabled).
- New W.I.P level format
- Level saving/loading no longer works.
- Flowers in the build screen are now shown with both sprites crossed[verify].
- Generating new world in a huge size sometimes causes a lot of Ranas to spawn close to the player, resulting in the game freezing for some time.
- Oh, ok! Here, play with a version! – The Word of Notch, December 23, 2009